Author Topic: Valve Spring Question  (Read 973 times)

Offline TurboD

• Hot Shot
Valve Spring Question
« on: January 18, 2014, 03:19:36 pm »
I have a valve spring question for the valve spring guru's.. Lol

I am building a turbo engine which will use a stock or possibly a very mild turbo grind. Being that it is a turbo, I don't expect that the RPM range will increase much from that of a stock engine. This said I am not looking for a spring with increased pressure that will control the valve at high lifts and high RPM, as much as I am wanting one that will keep control of the valve with the boost pressure that will be against it.

I am working with a F2 head with F2 springs, which are heavier than earlier springs. I have shopped around for springs, and most give a brief discription saying "for use with high lift cams" or "up to .500 lift" which I hate. I am used to building race engine where every spec is known. I did find a listing for Kibblewhite springs that have specs, which list a installed height of 1.380 and 68#. I don't have them in front of me, but after checking my F2 springs at 1.380 they have right at 80#.

So the question is. Since I am after more pressure on the seat and at low valve lifts vs high valve lifts and high RPM, should I stay with what I have??

Offline Big Jay

• Expert
    • CBRzone
Re: Valve Spring Question
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 07:55:16 pm »
Most turbo applications for racing run a heavier spring because of the pressure behind the intake valve

Offline TurboD

• Hot Shot
Re: Valve Spring Question
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 08:39:28 pm »
Jay I agree, thats what I said (or tried to). Do you happen to know the specs for the APE springs?