Author Topic: 77 cb550k3 headlight relay install--double checking  (Read 5132 times)

Offline alacrity

• Expert
  • Ride, Optimize, Repeat
77 cb550k3 headlight relay install--double checking
« on: January 26, 2014, 10:11:00 am »
Chalk it up to exhaustion, incipient senility or just being dumb... But I am having trouble deciding where to insert the relays to interrupt the stock headlight circuit.

Wiring diagram is what confuses me a tad-- It seems the left switch gets all of its power from one wire that is shared by horn, turn signals and headlight hi/LP.
Am i misreading the wiring diagram?

if i put the relay between the output of the aeirch and the bulb itself, i havent solved, i havent solved the "overloading little switch" prob that is the whole point of the relays.

Can someonw who knows this model please tell me which wire to cut?

thanks

I recently restored and sold a 77 cb750f, and am nearly finished with a (former basket case) cb750k5.  This is a place to share, learn and enjoy.  I am grateful to and for 99+% of this site's membership.

Black 750K8

Re: 77 cb550k3 headlight relay install--double checking
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 11:12:43 am »
You might want to try here.
http://sohc4shop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=46 Mark is pretty helpful if not to busy try a PM

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 01:22:29 pm »
I don't really understand why you need a relay.  Any significant boost in headlight wattage will also tax the just adequate charging system on the Cb550.

If you are installing one to circumvent dodgy connectors and switches, your efforts are better applied to correcting those items than trying evade the real issue of wasting power at the faulty switches and connectors.

The practice also bastardizes the wire diagrams, so that no one besides the modifier knows the circuits on your bike and how to fix problems that may arise.

Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline alacrity

• Expert
  • Ride, Optimize, Repeat
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 04:10:52 pm »
I have already fully disassembled and rebuilt/reconditioned the handlebar switches. I have cleaned and checked all the connectors and replaced (with vintage type) the ones that were just so corroded I didn't trust them. I've checked the wiring all along the harness and at the connector blocks.

With the bike switched on, I show 12.53 volts at the (fully charged) battery and 11.16 volts at the headlight connector.

I recently restored and sold a 77 cb750f, and am nearly finished with a (former basket case) cb750k5.  This is a place to share, learn and enjoy.  I am grateful to and for 99+% of this site's membership.

Offline alacrity

• Expert
  • Ride, Optimize, Repeat
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 04:14:15 pm »
TO: Black 750K8

I have the appropriate relay and all the tools and parts to make 100 connectors ... I don't actually need Mark's kit for this.
I just need a bit of help deciphering the current flow so I can cut the proper wire and install it at the proper location run the h4 headlight (that the PO put on) and not have it be dimmer than a burning match.

Mark's (headlight relay) kit is great for those who don't wanna be bothered making all those connectors.
I like doing that work actually...

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 06:36:12 pm »
I have already fully disassembled and rebuilt/reconditioned the handlebar switches. I have cleaned and checked all the connectors and replaced (with vintage type) the ones that were just so corroded I didn't trust them. I've checked the wiring all along the harness and at the connector blocks.

With the bike switched on, I show 12.53 volts at the (fully charged) battery and 11.16 volts at the headlight connector.
Headlight and pretty much all power distribution on the bike is along the black wires, which gets connected to the battery's red wire through the key switch.  That key switch is used a lot, and the contacts inside usually need reconditioning after 30 years.  They can easily drop a volt right there under the usual high current it passes.  Other places to look are the fuse clips and fuse block in general.  High resistance connections/contacts will show a voltage drop across them when passing high currents, and zero when passing low to no currents.

When new, the stock key switch dropped about 0.2V through it with everything turned on.  I've seen them drop over 2.0 volts shortly before they failed completely.   FYI
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Black 750K8

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 09:33:24 pm »
TO: Black 750K8

I have the appropriate relay and all the tools and parts to make 100 connectors ... I don't actually need Mark's kit for this.
I just need a bit of help deciphering the current flow so I can cut the proper wire and install it at the proper location run the h4 headlight (that the PO put on) and not have it be dimmer than a burning match.

Mark's (headlight relay) kit is great for those who don't wanna be bothered making all those connectors.
I like doing that work actually...

I did not mean to buy his kit. I meant to look at his diagram to help you figure out how it works and how it is wired. I thank it may be in the FAQ or tips and tricks ;)

Offline alacrity

• Expert
  • Ride, Optimize, Repeat
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 09:35:55 pm »
Thank you gentlemen.   I will continue deskunkifying these old connections...

Offline alacrity

• Expert
  • Ride, Optimize, Repeat
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 11:18:34 pm »
But I would still like to know, if only on a theoretical basis, which wire one would cut and interrupt with a relay between the appropriate power source and the headlight hi/lo switch.

I can't see a place to isolate headlight power anywhere (without disturbing the t/s and horn 12v sources) until after it exits the left switch along the blue and white white wires.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 11:33:56 pm »
use the wires that connect to the globe to trigger the relay.

Offline alacrity

• Expert
  • Ride, Optimize, Repeat
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 12:30:51 am »
But those wires are "after" the switch on the handlebar... so what purpose would the relay serve in this case?

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 12:43:06 am »
the handle bar switch turns the relay on!i think you might get a better idea if you google using a relay?

Offline alacrity

• Expert
  • Ride, Optimize, Repeat
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 12:47:34 am »
maybe I need to draw this out so it makes sense... to me.

We have a switched hot wire going from the middle of the bike that travels with the lt.blue and orange and grey (t/s wires) and light green (horn wire) into the same block connector in the bucket.  The loom from the left switch connects here. Now we have switched voltage TO the switch.  Coming out of the switch are "new never appearing before on the bike for this purpose" solid white and dark blue wires for low and high beams respectively.

If I don't interrupt the power before it reaches the handlebar, and install the relays on the white/blue wires that feed the bulb directly, am i not just adding a step to the process without alleviating any chance of heat or voltage loss in the switch itself.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 01:02:35 am »
you know how your starter motor has a solenoid switch?thats a relay,the thumb button triggers the relay then the relay hooks the battery to the starter motor not the thumb button directly,do the same with the headlight,the head light switch triggers the relay then the relay you install carries battery power to the head light,the switch only sees the minimal current draw of the relay,the relay carries the much heavier head light load and actually hooks the battery positive into the circuit,in this case to your head light,same as the starter relay would do.

Offline alacrity

• Expert
  • Ride, Optimize, Repeat
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 01:13:24 am »
Right. I get the solenoid example and although it may not seem so, I actually do understand the properties and purpose of a relay.
Mostly.

Not to argue.

If installed as you suggest, the stock 12v hot brown/white wire that wends it's way to the handlebar switch would only be feeding current to the (now LED on my bike) turn signals and the horn?
Ok....

I wanna measure the voltage drop at the switch somehow...see if it is working, or if the current is just "chasing" through the switch, then through the relay, then to the bulb.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2014, 01:17:49 am »
im not following you still,you do realise you need two relays for your head light?one for low and one for high beam?the relay is wired after the switch,the hi/lo switch,what wattage lamp do you plan to run?a 55/60 should be ok with out a relay,go over all your connections again if you have a voltage drop over .5v
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 01:19:51 am by dave500 »

Offline alacrity

• Expert
  • Ride, Optimize, Repeat
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 12:48:29 pm »
ok Dave, I am thinking our disconnect (pun intended) here is about the diff between the late model cb550 i am currently working on, and the older style (electrically) cb500 that I finished the electrics on last year.

THIS 77 cb550k has the "low beam on all the time" switch. There is always full voltage circulating to through that switch.  So to my mind, interrupting current with a relay after it will have no bearing on the heat flowing through it. I could be wrong of course.

Go back to your solenoid example.  IF the starter circuit was wired like this late model headlight set up, then as soon as you turned the key ON, power would flow directly to the starter and it would spin.  But of course it isn't set up that way -- power has to ALWAYS travel through the solenoid "gate".  There is no direct from the battery (or keyswitch "on" position) current to the starter motor.  So the solenoid relay is the offboard 'switch' subordinate to the starter button.  Right?

I have an h4 halogen bulb on it now.
I also have a new-ish sealed beam.  I am gonna use whatever looks brightest given available voltage after I get through cleaning all contacts (again).

Offline vames

• Expert
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2014, 01:31:02 pm »
Put down the multi-meter. You're way over thinking this.

You need two relays, one for high and one for low. Both of them have a switch that is normally off and turns on when a bit of current is applied to it. Hook each one so that it is controlled by the respective hi and lo beam wires that go to the existing headlight plug.

Hook a bigger fatter wire straight up to the battery and run it to one side of each of the (normally off) relay switches, then run the other side to the respective hi or low in the headlight plug.

When you turn the bike on (low beam) it will then take only a tiny bit of energy to trip the relay switch (rather than powering the entire hi or lo load of the headlight). The big fat wire that goes straight to the battery will be what actually feeds the headlight, and hence you wont have all that current running through your hand switches. Just enough current to trip the relay.

That's the benefit. You used to have the full load of the headlight running through your handlebar switches, and now you have just the tiny bit of current it takes to trip the relay running through your handle bar switches.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 01:34:16 pm by vames »

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2014, 01:38:22 pm »
It is not clear to me what exactly you are trying to bypass in the power routing to the headlight.

The Hi/Lo switch routes power to either the Blue or the White wires to the bulb.

If you are trying to prevent bulk current from passing through the Hi/Lo switch, you will need a relay insert into each of the white wire and blue wires paths.  Those relays will be supplied power by an extra fuse pathway (that you supply and add) routed to either the battery post, or perhaps the battery cable connection at the starter solenoid's "hot" side".

If you are okay with passing bulk currents through the Hi/Lo switch, then follow the path between that switch and key switch.  Power supplied to the Hi/Lo switch enters via the Br/R wire, and somewhere inside the harness it is solder joined to a Black/yellow wire that routes to the fuse panel (headlight fuse).  The panel fuse receives headlight power from the Black/red wire.   The black/red wire routes back to the Right bar control's starter button switch.  This switch supplies power to the headlight fuse only when the starter button switch is released (starter not engaged).  The switch is fed power via a black wire, which is a common buss for 12V distribution sourced at the Key switch.

You will have to decide where in the path you want to alter the current flow or which switches and connections you wish to bypass with an alternate power source.  You will also have to decide which switch output from the bike you will use as a signal to activate the relay(s). (Items highlighted in blue are presumably some that you wish to spare bulk current loads.)

Note: I can only help with this, because I have access to the wire diagram Honda made available for your bike.   After mods, the diagram will no longer be accurate.  Unless you publish your own wire diagram for your bike, you will mostly be on your own should any further mods or repairs need to be made.

Just how many watts do you intend to add to the headlight position?

I understand you have already purchased a "relay kit"  from Hondaman.  I have not seen this kit, its contents, or any documentation that came with it.  As a part supplier, he should support your efforts to install his kit.  I.E. answer your question about installation.  Short of that, getting accurate help from us on the forum requires accurate information about your goals and equipment to be installed on your otherwise stock bike.

Personally, I think a "relay kit" is a band aid used to avoid fixing the real problem of faulty switches and pathway connections.  For, on the CB550, the alternator isn't powerful enough to to supply added watts and keep the battery properly charged up under all riding conditions.  Further, if your switches are wasting power, that waste comes right off any power generated by the alternator.

Offline alacrity

• Expert
  • Ride, Optimize, Repeat
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2014, 02:55:35 pm »
Thank you Lloyd.  I respect you immensely, but dammit, if I wanna hold onto my multimeter and drive myself nuts with it, then it is my right as an American to do so.

;-)

Firstly - the relay kit I got from Hondaman was the one he calls a "starter switch saver."  That is installed and "protects" the right side switch on this cb550k.

Simply:  I cleaned every connection and tested every wire at each junction for voltage loss. I found a couple dirty connectors. I did not unravel the oem harness wrap and pierce wires en route to test for signal loss that way.  I ground off fresh paint at each place on the frame I wanted there to be a good ground -- there is only metal/metal contact at my ground points. I used star washers and eye connectors to affix fresh ground wires to the rectifier and VR.

I have a new key switch and it is installed.

As I mentioned, earlier in this restoration I fully disassembled the left and right switches and renewed them properly -- when I was done, there was nearly no resistance on the paths through the switches themselves. They flowed current in a truly excellent fashion.

And still, with 12.5v at the batt I was looking at 11.5/11.6 v at the end of the white wire where it enters the headlight. 

So I picked up a couple relays and installed them.  Each is "powered" directly from the battery via fused link.  Each is grounded right to the frame.  I unplugged the headlight 3wire connector in the bucket. I placed the relay wires in between these two -- split the blues and split the whites.

back to back tests with the same brand new bulb and the freshly charged battery (yes I waited a half hour between these tests to be sure the batt was at max/full each time):
The same headlight without the relays was obviously dimmer (aimed at my garage wally) than that headlight with the relays.

It is an off the rack new sylvania sealed beam (auto parts store - same part for Jeep Wrangler).

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2014, 06:24:41 pm »
Let me familiarize you with ohm's law.

R=E/I, or I=E/R, or E=I*R.  These are all the same formula, simply rearranged.  Where E= Voltage, I= Current, and R= Resistance.

In this case, you are searching for voltage loss at some sort of junction, be it switch, connector, or fuse clip.
We are searching for voltage loss between two points, or E, so use the formula E=I*R.  Notice if  I = 0, any value of R has absolutely no effect on E.  What this means is that to measure resistance in an active circuit, you must have both current and voltage applied.

Effective test methods:
The voltmeter can directly measure the voltage potential difference between its probe tips.  So, if you place one probe on the battery POS terminal and any point such as at the bulb's power in terminals, it tells you directly how much voltage was lost in the routed pathway between those two points.  This test method works for all individual connection points and switches which has current flowing between them.  However, the voltage reading is directly proportional to the current that is flowing through the switch or connection at the time taking the voltage reading.  Zero current flow will always show a zero voltage loss along a pathway that is only distributing voltage, regardless of actual resistance (short of infinity).
Say you wanted to test a switch for contact resistance.  A DMM's ohmmeter function induces such a tiny current into the circuit being tested, that low resistances are difficult to register accurately.
Back to the equations: If I =1 and R = 0.5, the voltage read across the resistance is .5V.  However, if I =10 and R is still 0.5, the voltage dropped across the resistance is 5V!

You state :
As I mentioned, earlier in this restoration I fully disassembled the left and right switches and renewed them properly -- when I was done, there was nearly no resistance on the paths through the switches themselves. They flowed current in a truly excellent fashion.
While this is a lovely statement, it has no solid data numbers with which to verify the supposition, or any test conditions, parameters to frame the test report within.
If we work with such fuzzy data as fact, we will be as baffled as you.  Part of being a technician is the ability to set up meaningful test conditions.

Frame ground is NOT the primary ground path normally used on the bike, apart from the starter.  ALL other devices use the harness green wires to reference Battery NEG terminal.  You CAN cobble something to work without using the green wire distribution.  But, someone with electrical knowledge will consider it a hack.

Every single headlight has a wattage rating.  I don't understand why you think you can ignore this important parameter, as it directly impacts both voltage and current use on the bike.

The same headlight without the relays was obviously dimmer (aimed at my garage wally) than that headlight with the relays.
As I explained earlier, this is because you failed to find out exactly where resistance has been inserted between headlight and battery.  Your relays have simply bypassed the the problem you are ignoring.  I can assure you that Honda's headlight was not dim when new, with or without higher wattage headlights.  There is no designed in reason why your circuit modifications are necessary, unless you have replaced the connectors and switches with inferior devices. 

Beyond this, I guess I really can't help anymore with your project, as I now have absolutely no idea how your bike's wire circuits have been modified away from Honda's book representation, working or not.
Hopefully someone else can guide you to a satisfactory conclusion.

Good luck with your experiments!

Offline alacrity

• Expert
  • Ride, Optimize, Repeat
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2014, 12:37:02 pm »
Well … I was already feeling bad about not solving these electrical problems on my own… now I feel worse. I have no doubt Honda engineered this motorcycle's electrical system to provide proper voltage and current to the headlight. My awareness of that fact motivated me to keep going in search of the fault(s)... up to a point.

You wrote:

"...this is because you failed to find out exactly where resistance has been inserted between headlight and battery.  Your relays have simply bypassed the the problem you are ignoring."

In point of fact, it's not that I am "ignoring" the problem.

I surrendered to it.

Yes, I failed to locate the source of the unwanted resistance, despite having spent quite a lot of time trying to do just that. I did a lot of janitorial work -- and I measured a couple actual small improvements along the way -- like a .1v increase in flow after cleaning the fuse block/fuse fitting faces, another after cleaning connectors blocks. Still, there was never an "A HA!" moment where the sun came out and the angels sang and all 12+ volts from the battery reported for duty at the headlight bulb.  There is still a resistance thief on that bike somewhere (or more than one).  I just felt myself beginning to have a sense of dread with this bike -- and how much time it was sucking out of the rest of my life, as opposed to me being excited about how close it was to being done. So the relay(s) became the workaround because I wanted to ride this motorcycle (which I did last night -- and it's fast and FUN!). 

I wasn't planning on upping the headlight wattage above standard off the rack H4 halogen or sealed beam numbers (55/60).  I think the bike originally came with a lower wattage low beam (maybe?).  Last year, I put a $15 autoparts store 6024 sylvania bulb in my cb500k1 and it is clear and bright (enough) and the bike charges perfectly, so I figured the cb550k should function similarly.

When I have time, I will go back and pull off the switches and re-measure the voltage between the contacts, and the wires in and out. It has been a few months since I did that (this isn't my career, so this project gets attention when I have time to give it, usually late at night after the family is sleeping -- I had a few days off this past week). Maybe I overdid it with the dielectric grease in the handlebar switches and inadvertently created some resistance there. I dunno.

As for how the 77cb550k in my garage varies from the Honda manual... the answer is : in three simple/specific ways. 

I disconnected the left switch loom's white and blue wires inside the headlight bucket from the white and blue wires to the bulb. There is a relay in place between each of these, properly wired to POS-batt via fused 14g red wire and to NEG-batt via 14g a green wire. They work.

I don't feel right about posting Hondaman's "key switch saver relay" schematic that comes with his little kit.  I believe it is his intellectual property and he provides the drawing to go with the sale.  I can explain it quickly though, since it is a simple device. He has it set up so the relay interrupts the key/ignition circuit by getting in between the ignition "hot" and the black wire feed to the key switch at the electrical plate on the left side of the bike.  It's installed, and it works.

TT: I appreciate your acumen, experience and education at least as much as anyone here.  I hope you don't see my choice of a different path to solution as a rejection of your suggestions, but rather, as a function of my "personal math."   The equation here would look like a result of the following variables: available time, energy, focus-ability, frustration tolerance.  I guess I decided that the sum of this equation (this time) needed to be "band-aid" not "excellent repair." 

Black 750K8

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2014, 01:31:08 pm »
I really enjoy reading post like this. I learn so much about bikes electrical problems and most of all people. Thank you both and no I'm not being sarcastic.

Online Duanob

• Bold Timer
  • Old Timer
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2014, 01:51:02 pm »
I'm still trying to figure out why he needs a relay.

First, the wiring and charging systems on these bikes are adequate enough to run an H4 bulb unless it's 100W or something. Maybe check the wattage on the bulb. A 55W will be OK, I use a 35W in the city.

I think he needs to fix what is obviously a problem in the system. Did you check battery voltage when trying to start the bike? It shouldn't read lower than 10V. If it does, you have a bad battery even if it shows a >12V at the terminals.

If you're trying to reduce voltage to the headlight then wouldn't you need a resistor and not a relay?

here is a great FAQ on diagnosing these charging systems.

http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/FAQ.html
"Just because you flush a boatload of money down the toilet, doesn't make the toilet worth more",  My Stepfather the Unknown Poet

1974 CB360T
1976 CB550K2 Resurrected
1976 CB550F2 Barn Find
1979 CX500 VG "HONDA-GUZZI"
2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie
2015 BMW F700GS
Another 1976 CB550K Cafe?

__o
_- \_<,
(*) /' (*)

Offline alacrity

• Expert
  • Ride, Optimize, Repeat
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2014, 03:14:22 pm »
I am not trying to reduce voltage to the headlight.

I am trying to run a normal headlight in the normal fashion.

The battery is new and it is fine. I've spent a couple more hours on the connectors etc and now have 11.4 volts at the headlight white wire with 12.45 at the batt.

With the relay, I have 12.2 volts at the white wire to the headlight bulb.
So yes, somewhere in there I have a resistance issue with nearly a full volt disappearing.  Haven't found it yet.