Author Topic: LED turn signals very dim  (Read 2527 times)

Offline andy8190

• Expert
LED turn signals very dim
« on: March 23, 2014, 10:16:37 am »
Yesterday I installed some led turn signals on my bike. I tested to make sure they work by touching them directly to the battery and they are super bright. I installed them on the bike and hooked them up to a blinker I bought from Tractor Supply and they are very dim but they do blink. Could this be the type of blinker. It says it is a heavy duty blinker so I am wondering if it is causing a lot of resistance making the leds dim.

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
Re: LED turn signals very dim
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 10:32:52 am »
Yesterday I installed some led turn signals on my bike. I tested to make sure they work by touching them directly to the battery and they are super bright. I installed them on the bike and hooked them up to a blinker I bought from Tractor Supply and they are very dim but they do blink. Could this be the type of blinker. It says it is a heavy duty blinker so I am wondering if it is causing a lot of resistance making the leds dim.

If the blinker is a 2-wire type, try reversing the leads at the blinker. If it is a 3-wire type, check to make sure your LEDs are on the right terminal? If it is a "solid-state" 2-wire type, they sometimes cause this problem: in this case, you may have to hook up a small automotive relay to the flasher and let the flasher "blink" the relay, and hook the LEDs up to the relay instead.
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline andy8190

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 10:43:00 am »
i ended up finding a thread here that says the heavy duty one does provide more resistance as it's designed for trailers with lots of lights so I think this is the problem.

Offline andy8190

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 01:09:09 pm »
returned my flasher and got another type that was not heavy duty and they work fine now. So it was that is was creating more resistance