Author Topic: Help me identify this Brembo caliper..  (Read 2649 times)

Offline Justind97

Help me identify this Brembo caliper..
« on: April 10, 2014, 04:04:42 pm »
Hey guys,

I bought this caliper set off the bay. They were advertised as a set of F08 calipers, only now that I look at them finally (A few months later) they are not true F08s.  They look very similar when assembled, however all the F08s that I see have a 2 pin design to hold the pads.  Mine is a single pin.

The part numbers that I found on them are 20.2420.00 and 20.2419.00   A google search left me empty handed.

Any help??

Offline Justind97

Re: Help me identify this Brembo caliper..
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 05:01:29 pm »
Figured out they were F05 calipers by measuring the piston which was 32mm.

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 12:40:58 am »
definetely 05s, 08s are much bigger overall indeed :)
hope you didnt pay for them 08s prices which are usually much higher than 05s at least here in italy....
not bad calipers, I have a set on my 500/4 racer, but they will be undersized on a 750

Offline Justind97

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 02:57:55 am »
I think I paid $100 shipped.

They we're to go on a 550.   Now they'll just go back on ebay.

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 03:44:23 am »
Justin, like TG I use those too. If you're using two disc rotors these are all the caliper you need. If you plan on a single rotor maybe a larger caliper is better?? Pads & replacement parts are readily available. They're certainly lightweight.

How's the bike coming along?

Offline Justind97

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 09:44:58 am »
Brent.   I ordered a set of True F08s this morning.    I had already ordered the rebuild kit for the F08s, so why not?!

You run the F05s or the 8s?

Difference being about 4mm difference per piston between the two.

I want to run a single caliper.   Will the 8s be enough?   Sure hope so.   Also looking for a new master.   Recommendations?   Or just rebuild the stock 550 one?

Bike is at a bit of a standstill.   Waiting on crank bearings.   Everything else is pretty much ready to go after that aside from paint and mounting the fairings.

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 10:12:23 am »
I think the single F08 should do the trick, but I have no experience with that set-up. Check out Vintage Brake for matching the right master. I use a 12mm Brembo master cylinder and the feedback is excellent.

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 10:29:31 pm »
The stock 550 14mm MC should work well with one twin 36mm piston caliper.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2014, 01:37:59 am »
if you are planning to race on single disc then fit at least a 300mm rotor.... preferably cast iron.   make sure you get racing compound pads for them too, look them up in the ferodo racing site.

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 05:37:50 am »
You know what TG, I found it hard to trail brake with those CP211 racing pads. There is so much "bite" with those that it seemed harder to modulate the front. I actually prefer the street version 207's for that reason, plus I've been focusing on not having to stand it on it's nose anyway (or had been focusing!)

With a single rotor though it might be wise to have a set of race pads to try. Another source of Ferodo pads is Mr. Morse at Vintage Brake. He's a great resource of information too Justin.