Author Topic: Snapped bolt CB400f breather cover, what to do?  (Read 459 times)

Offline Frogger

Snapped bolt CB400f breather cover, what to do?
« on: April 14, 2014, 11:40:42 pm »
Hi, I have recently acquired a '75 CB400f and was going to open her up and have a look at least in the top end (have rudimentarily started it with leaky carbs and seems to be running strong enough) - when undoing the breather cover, found one bolt missing and underneath was the remnants of it being snapped of in the head. Any recommendations on how or if I can extract this. I am limited on tools and mechanical experience.
Many thanks.

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
Re: Snapped bolt CB400f breather cover, what to do?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 04:30:04 am »
The easiest method with that bolt is to remove the gasket and weld another bolt end-to-head. Then you can turn the new, extended bolt.

If you don't have access to a welder, you can use a left-handed drill bit. Have to get those a quality store. Pre-soak the bolt with some penetrating oil, as the first few threads below the snap are generally the only source of corrosion. You may even be able to get some vise grips on the exposed head. (It may have been sheared from over-tightening).

Check with some mates and see if any can weld. If not, drag it to a machine shop and have them do it?
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 04:51:10 am »
It looks to me that there is enough sticking out to grab it with vice grips.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Draw and drawer. Could care less/couldn't care less. Bought/brought FFS.

Les Ross.            Certified by a Professional

oldbob

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 11:07:39 am »
My 400's PO broke off several of the screws in the clutch cover. I had some success with drilling them and then using a screw extractor.

Bob

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 11:17:44 am »
+1 on welding a bolt or nut right to it.   take him a few cold beers.
those screw extractors can really ufk things up if not done properly.
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mineā€¦"

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 01:45:23 pm »
gday Brendan,id try giving it a gentle rap downwards with a hammer after crc soaking for a while,then with a carefully positioned sharp punch or chisel try and drive it in the undo direction,you may find itll start turning then once you have a enough to get a decent grab with vice grips its out,never torque 6mm bolts,just nip them down and be sure any blind holes are dug out and blown clear so the bolt doesent bottom out in them.

Offline Christo

• Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 02:08:52 pm »
Hey Brendan, could you carefully grind a slot in it to accept a flat head screwdriver and then try and unscrew?
74 CB550K