Author Topic: 1975 CB550 K Rebuild & Small Mods from AUS  (Read 14022 times)

Offline trueblue

• A person who has had many interesting experiences, some of which are true, is known as an
  • Old Timer
Re: 1975 CB550 K Rebuild & Small Mods from AUS
« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2014, 02:04:06 am »
That's some grotty looking carbs you have there mate.  A little acetone should clean them up fairly quickly ;D

If you still have those freebies, I wouldn't say no ;D
1979 CB650Z
Nothing can be idiot proofed, the world keeps producing better idiots.
Electronic Guages for your SOHC 4

Offline MickB

• Expert
« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2014, 02:08:45 am »
Bootsey I'll grab the Telton tools if you're ok with that.
Mick

Offline Bootsey

• Hot Shot
« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2014, 02:28:47 am »
Seeing as it was first in, Trueblue, let me know what you're after, and PM me your address, and ill let you know postage later in the week.
Mick, if there's any left overs, they're all yours.

Offline trueblue

• A person who has had many interesting experiences, some of which are true, is known as an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2014, 02:44:53 am »
PM sent, thank you ;D
1979 CB650Z

Offline MickB

• Expert
« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2014, 02:45:23 am »
No sweat

Offline Bootsey

• Hot Shot
« Reply #80 on: November 23, 2014, 08:26:38 pm »
Well, wasn't able to work on the bike too much over the last few months, but have got a little done this week.

Got the engine finished off. Gapped & fitted NGK D7EA plugs. Set the valve clearances. I just need to do one last coat of paint on the frame, then the motor will be getting put back in.In the mean time I'm trying to get all the mounting hardware together and cleaned up.

Finished the triple tree. Packed & fitted new tapered steering bearings. Question..What do you guys do regarding the top nut & dust seal? I've read to leave the top dust seal and washer out, and just fit the nut on top of the bearing?

Stripped the forks down. A piece of old copper brake line, flattened one end kept the dampener from spinning.
Pulled everything out, cleaned it all. Popped the old seals out, and used them to drive the new seals in. I was already halfway through when I noticed this...
One of the fork legs has a lip at the bottom of the seal recess to stop it sitting down so far, and the other does not. See the one on the left sits just below the circlip recess, and the right sits quite a bit further down. Not sure if maybe one of the legs has been swapped out at some point...

This going to cause me and drama? I'm imagining as long as the seal is sitting square, that it should be OK?

The top of the tubes were pretty ratty from being under the fork ears. I roughed up the chrome with 80 grit, primed them, then I'll hit them with some engine enamel.
Once that's done, I think just need to re-anneal the copper washers, and slap them back together. Have got new gaitors to fit also.

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #81 on: November 24, 2014, 04:16:24 am »
Nice that you're taking them for a Sunday ride. But remember to buckle the kids up even while in the back seat. Don't want any accidents now...
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline MickB

• Expert
« Reply #82 on: November 24, 2014, 08:34:35 pm »
Lookin good Bootsey, I just sanded my upper forks and put greased them.

Offline goldarrow

• one day, i'll be an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #83 on: November 24, 2014, 08:37:20 pm »
If paint the forks,they may get all scratch up or peel off when slide up through the triple trees
Life Is Full Of Challenges - And My Backyard Is Full Of SOHC4's

CB550 K0
CB750 K0, K2, K23 JDM, K45, K5
And the little ones z50r, xr50r, st90

750k5 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=114817.0

Offline MickB

• Expert
1975 CB550 K Rebuild & Small Mods from AUS
« Reply #84 on: November 24, 2014, 08:50:03 pm »
It's the thought that counts. If Bootsey puts a small wedge in the triple trees they'll slide in beautifully and you won't see the forks because of the ears and rubber boots.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 08:51:45 pm by MickB »

Offline Bootsey

• Hot Shot
« Reply #85 on: December 18, 2014, 11:52:24 pm »
Progress has been slow.
The weather here has been all over the place, storms every other day, not particularly ideal for painting. I got a small window, and put the last coat on the frame. Then like you would with the least favourite child, locked it in the car out in the hot sun for a few days.

The fact that I hadn't put loctite on the cam sprocket bolts had been annoying me, so off with the rocker cover, and used some blue loctite. Fitted new copper washers on the rocker cover whilst I was there. Also got rid of the pesky JIS in the intake runners, replaced with allen head, and shaped them to the manifold.

Then it was time to fit the motor to the frame. All mounting points clean from paint, and given a light lick of silicone grease. Like a gentle lover, I then lay the motor down on and old, stained blanket, and had at it.
Used the plastic folder cover idea to protect the frame, works a treat. Gave all the bolts a spray with lanolin before installing.

Can't be more thankful for SohRon's brilliant 550 thread, makes life much more enjoyable when re-assembling.

Pressed out the swingarm bushes with a couple of sockets and the vise. Hopefully get the swingarm painted and new bushes fitted next. Also need to finalise the carbs

Offline Bootsey

• Hot Shot
« Reply #86 on: January 24, 2015, 08:11:37 pm »
Finally got a little more done.

Installed new oil filter, o-rings & magnets.

Got some keys cut to suit, then I was able to remove, clean & lube the steering lock.

Installed the triple tree, omitted the top dust deal. Also fitted the idiot lights and new superbike bars + Oury grips.

Refreshed the airbox plastics and inner fender with peanut oil, pretty happy with the results. Also left a few rubber bits to soak, as I couldn't get any wintergreen easily - the rubber bits came out really good. Renewed and very pliable once again.

Have been working on cleaning up the clutch assembly. The steel plates had some rust & gunk from sitting. I cleaned that up with a brass wire wheel, no more rust and they have a brushed finish, hopefully that'll provide a suitable finish with enough tooth.
Checked the steel plates for warpage - all OK.
Started putting the clutch back together, with the beveled edge of the steel plates facing outwards. (thats how I found them upon pulling it apart)
Unfortunately it seems I ordered a slightly wrong set of discs, the set has 6 discs the same, and one larger one - but alas for this model I need 7 discs all the same. So I'll have to hunt down a single disc, or buy another whole set.

Offline MickB

• Expert
1975 CB550 K Rebuild & Small Mods from AUS
« Reply #87 on: January 25, 2015, 02:58:36 am »
Bootsey looking good, also I copied the Allen head bolts on the inlet clamps.

Offline timbo750

• Expert
« Reply #88 on: January 26, 2015, 03:47:39 pm »
Never heard of thd peanut oil on the plastic,  did you just rub it on or give it a soaking, is that also what was used on the rubber?

Offline Bootsey

• Hot Shot
« Reply #89 on: January 26, 2015, 08:32:16 pm »
Seems a lot of people use peanut oil to restore trim on cars & restos. Gets rid of that whiteish/ grey faded appearance black plastics tend to get, cheap enough to try either way.  ;)
I found it easiest to brush it on, let it soak in for a few days, then wipe off the excess.
Not sure it's used on rubber much, but the pieces I soaked, definitely improved & regained pliability, saved them from a fate in the bin.

Offline Bootsey

• Hot Shot
Re: 1975 CB550 K Rebuild - Making a little 'slowgress
« Reply #90 on: June 27, 2015, 08:49:13 pm »
I thought replacing the seat cover was going to be a quick job. Had to drill the heads off the passenger strap screws, then found this. Cleaned it up, and painted it with some rust reformer. Still waiting on some trim to finish off the seat

Starting cleaning up the shocks - decided to ditch the rust collecting cap. Got the battery box cleaned up and fitted. Clutch is all buttoned up now too.

Got the swing arm rebuilt with new brass bushes from Kenosha_kid & new shock bushes.
The swing arm collar had seen better days. Thankfully Hondaman was able to sell me a new one that matched the ID of the bushes, so I was able to get the clearances bang on. Also drilled and tapped the bolt for new grease nipples.

Repaired the side covers using an old ABS recorder & some acetone. After some sanding, some filler & some primer filler they came up pretty well. Got the first coat of colour down, got a bit of orange peel though.
Need to do some more wet sanding & colour. Also toying with the idea of putting down some blue flake in the clear when I get there.

Saw a set of carbs pop up on eBay in Australia, which is pretty rare. Seller's communication was rather average, so I didn't know what model they were, but the pictures showed the inside of the bowls were spotless, the outsides were pretty rough. Picked them up on a last second bid for $55. Turns out they are 627B's - the original brass has been pilfered and replaced with repop bits.
The 022A's I've got are in need of work, so for the moment the plan is to clean up the 627's & fit them with the brass from the 022's. Hopefully I'll get the carbs sorted over these cold months, and then get some painting done when the weather warms up.

Offline Jp from Oz

• Slowest bike build in history.
« Reply #91 on: July 09, 2015, 03:34:13 am »
Mate, I loved that peanut oil trick you used on your plastics...as soon as I read that on your thread I went out and did the same to my inner fender and airbox, come up brilliantly! Cheers.

Offline Bootsey

• Hot Shot
« Reply #92 on: July 18, 2015, 05:19:15 pm »
Mate, I loved that peanut oil trick you used on your plastics...as soon as I read that on your thread I went out and did the same to my inner fender and airbox, come up brilliantly! Cheers.

Glad it worked for you mate, it seems to do an alright job.

Offline trueblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #93 on: July 19, 2015, 01:11:52 am »
+1, I've just tried it on a car I'm doing up, worked a treat ;D
1979 CB650Z

Offline Bootsey

• Hot Shot
« Reply #94 on: May 31, 2016, 06:45:45 pm »
Is there anybody in there, just nod if you can hear me..

Certainly has been a while, I wish I had more to post. I haven't been able to work on the bike as much as I'd like, but have been chipping away at small pieces when & where I can.

Cleaned and rebuilt the 627B's with the original brass from the 022A's. Polished the bowls & tops and replaced the fasteners with stainless allen heads. The polishing took far more time than I thought I'd hoped, but I found it became somewhat addictive - certainly not a showroom level of finish, but a hell of a lot cleaner than they were. They came with a snapped bolt on the throttle shaft, but I don't think that should be an issue unless I need to fully dismantle them at some point.

De-anodized the hand controls & master cylinder and polished those too. Next I'll have to rebuild the internals of the controls. The controls & other miscellaneous fasteners have been replaced with stainless too.
Cleaned up the master cylinder & cap, with more with a brushed finish. Fitted the stainless slingshot lines with new copper washers. Also picked up some different Oury grips, these ones are a slightly different style and the rubber is thicker which should be good.

I picked up and fitted oil pump kit from Elan - thanks Elan!

Made myself a rustic tach plug out of an old oxy cutting tip. I mounted & spun it in the drill & was able to cut a groove for an o-ring, so that it presses into the head quite snuggly. (Although I think I preferred it before I polished it.) I heated it up & then filled all the passages with electrical solder to stop anything getting into the motor. But I've since questioned whether or not that was a good idea - I believe that type of solder melts around 180ºC / 350ºF, and am wondering what temps the camshaft area might see? Any thoughts on that one? 

Offline trueblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #95 on: June 02, 2016, 04:31:19 pm »
If your camshaft area gets hot enough to melt solder, you have far more to worry about than a little melting solder  ;D ;D ;D
1979 CB650Z

Offline Bootsey

• Hot Shot
« Reply #96 on: June 09, 2016, 01:00:17 am »
If your camshaft area gets hot enough to melt solder, you have far more to worry about than a little melting solder  ;D ;D ;D

You make a very good point Trueblue - cheers. :-X