Author Topic: Points cam lube??  (Read 3763 times)

Offline Airborne 82nd

• Expert
Points cam lube??
« on: June 15, 2014, 06:17:54 pm »
I have the plate and advancer off for a clean up. Now I know to lube where the points and rubbing block makes contact with the cam and I use the same Dow Corning pure silicone vacuum grease that I use for the brakes. . Now the part I'm not 100% on is the other parts. I have read that the weights that swing out on the pivots are hardened and should not be lubed. Does anyone think this is wrong? Also what about between the inner and outer shaft? My gut says not to oil any of it so as not to gum things up. Back in the day I just put a couple of drops of motor oil on the felt wick every tune up but no where else. Would like to hear what others do.

Offline CoachDoc

• Hot Shot
  • 1974 CB550, 2005 GL1800, 1997 Valkyrie Standard
Re: Points cam lube??
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 06:28:46 pm »
+1 for a couple od drops of motor oil on the felt pad. I've used different kinds of grease on the cam lobes. Lately I've been pleased with wheel bearing grease there.......it seems less prone to be rubbed off by the block. I try not to overdo either the oil or grease because I don't want them to get on the point faces.

Offline tlbranth

• Master
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 08:59:14 pm »
I'm pretty sure you don't want to lube the advancer weights. I use a little wheel-bearing grease (the newer non-stringy kind) on the felt pad for the points cam.
Don't own a Vanagon
Don't work at Boeing
Life is good

1970 CB750 K0
1975 GL1000
1999 GL1500
2002 VT750-CDA ACE - Momma's bike
Terry

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 09:03:13 pm »
Use disc brake grease on the points cam it is good up to 1000ºF

Most important is to clean it FIRST.

If a dwell meter does not wobble while running, the points cam is clean.

Just spray a light coat of WD40 in the advance unit.

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 09:28:25 pm »
If the advancer weights are working OK, they probably don't need help. When I have them out, though (like engine rebuilds), I soak the whole thing in solvent to strip off all old goo, then dab a small bit of grease on the weight pivots and inside the points cam. High temp grease is good. There used to be "points grease" for the rubbing blocks, I am sad to say I used the last of mine in 2005, though. It is a yellow petroleum-based grease that is like wax, and has a great affinity for phenolic points feet. It soaks into the material and burnishes them in like glass.

If I ever find another tube of it, I will have bought the 2nd one in my lifetime (since 1964 when I had that first CT90). :)
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 08:07:51 am »
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline Coldsmoke

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 02:33:07 pm »
I've been using a dry lube for years and I'm over 3000 miles with No reduction in point gap as of now on my 350F.
The stuff is called "Comet dry lube" .....it's meant for snowmobile clutches. Looks like dark green paint .
Cheers
RC166(avitar only)
CB350F
CL175
RZ350
H1- 500 Triple