Author Topic: Clear tube method of checking float height  (Read 10921 times)

Offline bytio

• Enthusiast
Clear tube method of checking float height
« on: June 18, 2014, 04:13:37 pm »
Hi all,
I am aware of this method in putting clear tubing on the bowl drains and opening the drain screw which will fill the tube to the level of fuel in the carb.
My question is how do you know which level is correct, example my 78F carbs have a req float height of 14.5 mm where would I expect to see the fuel level in the tubes for this.
Thanks for any info

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: Clear tube method of checking float height
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 04:19:06 pm »
if your floats are set accurately....3-4 mm below the bowl gasket mating surface.
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mine…"

Offline crazypj

• I'm brill, me
  • Old Timer
  • first 100,000 miles. 1977 CB550F
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 04:21:57 pm »
Honda don't give a spec for fuel level, back 'in the day' Kawasaki were the only manufacturer who did. It's a PITA when it's all you have  - they didn't give a basic float height
I fake being smart pretty good
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 04:25:20 pm »
the clear tube method is helpful when correct and accurate adjustment of the float height doesn't necessarily result in the correct fuel level in the bowl
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bike almost back to the 70's 2015
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 12:52:04 pm »
The fuel level in the bowls is the goal however it will be done. Why measure when the actual visible fuel level is the real thing?????
CB750 K6-76 1005cc JMR Billet block.
CB750 K2-75 Parts assembled to a stock K2

Updates of the CB750 K6 -1976
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180468.msg2092136.html#msg2092136
The billet block build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,49438.msg1863571.html#msg1863571
CB750 K2 -1975  build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,168243.msg1948381.html#msg1948381
K2 engine build thread. For a complete CB750 -75
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180088.msg2088008.html#msg2088008
Carb jetting, a long story Mikuni TMR32
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,179479.msg2104967.html#msg2104967

Offline seanbarney41

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 01:02:21 pm »
The fuel level in the bowls is the goal however it will be done. Why measure when the actual visible fuel level is the real thing?????
agreed

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 01:10:10 pm »
having them set dead even and perfect isn't critical,picture whats happening inside the bowls when your riding,its like a washing machine inside,dont sweat it too much.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 05:55:03 am »
the clear tube method is helpful when correct and accurate adjustment of the float height doesn't necessarily result in the correct fuel level in the bowl

Agreed.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
If you love it, set it free, if it stays it's probably one of my 750's.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.

Offline Deltarider

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Another big liar has to face the truth.
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 12:01:46 pm »
having them set dead even and perfect isn't critical,picture whats happening inside the bowls when your riding,its like a washing machine inside,dont sweat it too much.
Thanks Dave. I've made a point of this since long but the floatadjusting epidemic seems to continue. I repeat: I've never seen the floatheight change from factory spec unless people with restless hands start messing with it. Not everything described in manuals is necessary.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 12:03:33 pm by Deltarider »
CB500K2-ED Excel black
"There is enough for everyone's need but not enough for anybody's greed."

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 12:25:14 pm »

Because, if the fuel level is wrong even when the mechanical measurement is correct, there is good reason to believe that alteration or defects of the associated determining components is suspect.

The fuel level average level (whether it bounces around or not) effects the distance and pressure differential required to raise the fuel into the carb throat.  This will effect average mixtures delivered, as the airflow volume through the carb isn't effected by the same factors.
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline crazypj

• I'm brill, me
  • Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2014, 09:32:54 pm »

And what are you going to set it at?
 guess an arbitrary fuel level?

Offline seanbarney41

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2014, 09:52:20 pm »

that's a good question.   it seems like somebody, somewhere around here figured out that 3-4mm below the float bowl gasket works good.  That's the figure I have aimed for on a wide variety of 1970's Hondas and it seems to work

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2014, 10:05:12 pm »
Set floats correctly...and measure the fuel level.  That's what you'll get.
Years ago I had an issue with my 350f, clymer specs for float height were wrong, and Hondaman and I sorted it out.  The 3-4mm below gasket seam level is a number he mentioned as a fuel level needed to cover the main and pilot jet, but not the overflow tubes in all circumstances....
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mine…"

Offline crazypj

• I'm brill, me
  • Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2014, 10:45:42 pm »
6~7mm from gasket face would also cover the pilot and main jet, don't think it would run very well though (haven't tried so don't know for sure)
The float level +/- isn't a tolerance but a method to adjust fuel delivery to correct or compensate for a running issue, higher lean's out everything slightly, lower richens everything slightly, it's a coarse way to adjust for elevation without changing jets.
You can correctly set float level and check fuel level but you need a number not a range then check all the carbs are the same in a bank
With production tolerances 3~4mm fuel level is OK to get running but not accurate enough for good running

Offline seanbarney41

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2014, 11:28:33 pm »
6~7mm from gasket face would also cover the pilot and main jet, don't think it would run very well though (haven't tried so don't know for sure)
The float level +/- isn't a tolerance but a method to adjust fuel delivery to correct or compensate for a running issue, higher lean's out everything slightly, lower richens everything slightly, it's a coarse way to adjust for elevation without changing jets.
You can correctly set float level and check fuel level but you need a number not a range then check all the carbs are the same in a bank
With production tolerances 3~4mm fuel level is OK to get running but not accurate enough for good running
interesting...I remember that certain Clymer manuals seem to suggest using float height/fuel level as a tuning parameter rather than just sticking with the factory specified float height, but have not really ever given it a very scientific try.  Would raising the fuel level tend to richen the mixture throughout the whole range of throttle positions?

AJK

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2014, 03:57:46 am »
interesting...I remember that certain Clymer manuals seem to suggest using float height/fuel level as a tuning parameter rather than just sticking with the factory specified float height, but have not really ever given it a very scientific try.  Would raising the fuel level tend to richen the mixture throughout the whole range of throttle positions?
Yes. All carb circuits depend on float level. Raise it and all circuits see a richer mixture. This is just physics.

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2014, 09:14:33 am »

Based on checks of several 550 carb sets and a few 750 PD carbs, 2-3mm below gasket surface is what they measure using the proper mechanical float setting.  They run pretty well this way.  This is while using stock components, exhaust, induction, and original Keihin carb components.  No aftermarket anything, besides a UNI NU 4055 air filter.

Works for me...
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline andrewk

• doin' it.
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2014, 08:59:21 pm »
Thanks Dave. I've made a point of this since long but the floatadjusting epidemic seems to continue. I repeat: I've never seen the floatheight change from factory spec unless people with restless hands start messing with it. Not everything described in manuals is necessary.

How many sohc4's do you encounter that haven't been messed with endlessly at some point in the last 40 years?  People interested in getting their bikes running correctly will check and adjust the float height as necessary (like when installing new needles) if for no other reason than undoing 40 years worth of other people's idle hands messing with things.  Carb sync is the same thing.  Might have been perfect new, but where has it been, and who has messed with it before you?

I'm all in agreement that Honda set the floats correctly when new.  But I challenge you to find a used bike that hasn't had some ham-fisted jerk dicking with the carbs (and everything else) at some point in its life.  Those of you on the forum lucky enough to be original/2nd owners, the rest of us are jealous. :) 
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 09:06:56 pm by andrewk »

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2014, 10:25:37 pm »
Hi all,
I am aware of this method in putting clear tubing on the bowl drains and opening the drain screw which will fill the tube to the level of fuel in the carb.
My question is how do you know which level is correct, example my 78F carbs have a req float height of 14.5 mm where would I expect to see the fuel level in the tubes for this.
Thanks for any info

Yes you can think for yourself!!

Where is any Honda literature saying how the 14.5mm will be translated into mm above some part of the carb. And if the gas was at this level wouldn't it be above the float bowl overflow tube?

Just a few months ago the same people were saying 2-3 mm above the float bowl edge.
Where did this come from?

Offline Deltarider

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Another big liar has to face the truth.
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2014, 03:45:04 am »
How many sohc4's do you encounter that haven't been messed with endlessly at some point in the last 40 years?

I can assure you there is a big difference between SOHC's in Europe and US as far as miles on the odometer and I can assure you that on European fora where people own Honda's with far more miles on the clock than in the US float adjusting is rarely discussed if ever. That leads me to the conclusion that by echoing this float adjusting thing over and over it becomes a bias to new readers of this forum. My sympathy is with them.
People interested in getting their bikes running correctly will check and adjust the float height as necessary (like when installing new needles) if for no other reason than undoing 40 years worth of other people's idle hands messing with things.
Nothing wrong with checking but think twice before you judge it necessary to adjust. How likely is it that PO's that only did 20.000 miles or so went on their knees to perform such a difficult task as removing 4 floatbowls and then start bending tiny little tangs in the most complicated and delicate parts of their bike?

CB500K2-ED Excel black
"There is enough for everyone's need but not enough for anybody's greed."

Offline andrewk

• doin' it.
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2014, 10:08:26 am »
How many sohc4's do you encounter that haven't been messed with endlessly at some point in the last 40 years?

I can assure you there is a big difference between SOHC's in Europe and US as far as miles on the odometer and I can assure you that on European fora where people own Honda's with far more miles on the clock than in the US float adjusting is rarely discussed if ever. That leads me to the conclusion that by echoing this float adjusting thing over and over it becomes a bias to new readers of this forum. My sympathy is with them.

Mileage is what keeps these things alive. Nearly everyone here is resurrecting a used bike that has been messed with before. Some are worse than others.  I would also say that float adjusting is so flipping simple and clear in the manual that you EU guys probably don't need to talk about it.  Beginners don't buy expensive (relative to USA) old Japanese bikes in Europe much, do they?

How likely is it that PO's that only did 20.000 miles or so went on their knees to perform such a difficult task as removing 4 floatbowls and then start bending tiny little tangs in the most complicated and delicate parts of their bike?

Around here it's pretty likely. Nearly every old bike in this part of the US has sat with fuel in it for an extended period of time at some point in its life.  Higher mileage bikes are likely to have junky aftermarket parts in them (another reason to necessitate float level change is making cheap parts work right) and the low mile bikes have probably been "resurrected" twice before any of us see them.  These bikes had/have a "cheap" reputation as well, which leads a lot more amateurs to work on them without being "afraid to mess up something expensive," which is a real tragedy.

I don't understand the hesitation to adjust something when you find it out of spec.  Certainly leave it alone if it's good but why put something back together that's incorrect?  Seems like a good way to chase your tail.

Offline PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bike almost back to the 70's 2015
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2014, 01:28:06 pm »
I measured my floats, not very exact when I did not change them back in the days.
Looked more for all had same meaurement, close to spec. Engine ran very rich and I verified the advices I got on this forum to be true, float level was too high.
Float height in mm is the initial setting that hopefully end up correctly when verify it by practical test as Clear tube, the only way to verify it as I know.
Clear tube will also show if a float is stucked (bent hitting the carb), leaking float valves.
CB750 K6-76 1005cc JMR Billet block.
CB750 K2-75 Parts assembled to a stock K2

Updates of the CB750 K6 -1976
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180468.msg2092136.html#msg2092136
The billet block build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,49438.msg1863571.html#msg1863571
CB750 K2 -1975  build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,168243.msg1948381.html#msg1948381
K2 engine build thread. For a complete CB750 -75
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180088.msg2088008.html#msg2088008
Carb jetting, a long story Mikuni TMR32
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,179479.msg2104967.html#msg2104967

AJK

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2014, 07:03:59 pm »
TT is 100%. Bikes, motors, carbs, etc are dead stupid, just like computers. All they do is follow the laws of physics & nothing more. If something is out of spec, then leaving it uncorrected will just lead to non-optimal performance. Even an un-touched bike will have its needle and seat worn to some degree after miles are put on it, resulting in a different float level than what was first on it.
  In my view, the float level is the dependency by which all fuel delivery circuits in the carbs are based on. Its something that i do first before even considering any other tunable aspect of a carb like pilot or main jet sizes, because once you change the float level, it throws out all other settings as well.
  TT is also 100% that its the average float level that matters in the carb. The fuel is choppy in there, but there will be an average level that the main jet 'sees', and its this average level that is either easier (or harder) to push into the engine depending on how high (or low) it is.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2014, 07:54:20 pm »
I learned a PO may have done anything to a carb. Mine had the jets drilled, the floats were way off too. I got it unfinished from a former Honda tech but I'm sure the previous owned did the damage. I rode it to where he works once after I got it right, he was astonished it ran so well. Or auctually, even ran.
 I experimented with float level, it makes a big difference in fuel air ratios.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
If you love it, set it free, if it stays it's probably one of my 750's.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.

DH

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2014, 08:23:40 pm »
Adjusting Carburetor Float Level

I found this interesting. 8)