Poll

What is the best method you have found to synch carbs on a 750?

Morgan Carb Synch tool
17 (48.6%)
Home-made manometer with mason jars & long tubes
1 (2.9%)
Commercially available mercury manometer
9 (25.7%)
Carb synch tool that does two at a time with a ball in a tube
1 (2.9%)
Cobbled together homemade device with 4 vac gauges.
4 (11.4%)
Some other device (post description please)
3 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Voting closed: June 23, 2006, 09:08:12 pm

Author Topic: Carb sync  (Read 49382 times)

jimbo

Re: Carb sync
« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2005, 03:41:25 pm »
My bike isn't running great so I was going to sync the carbs tomorrow.  Only problem is I can't find a manometer around here anywhere.  Can I use a automotive vacuum guage and take readings from each carb, use one for reference and sync the rest off of it one at a time?  I know this isn't the best way but I'd really like to get some serious ride time in this weekend.  We don't have many more good weekends left in my area (NE KY) before cold weather hits.

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #76 on: September 23, 2005, 04:13:17 pm »
It may be possible, but I doubt it.  When synching the carbs, every little adjustment to each carb affects the others, at least on every 4-carb setup I've worked with.  You can probably get them in the same neighborhood, but not much better than a simple bench synch can do. 

Offline grumburg

• Expert
  • 74550, 76400F, 72 750 67S90, 68CL90, 65 s65 66 x6
« Reply #77 on: September 23, 2005, 04:41:38 pm »
  I synched mine with a UniSyn from my SU days. Had to go over them 3 times to get them right, but they are spot on. Maybe it was beginners' luck. 
Fonda Honda

Offline DammitDan

• Jedi
  • Master
  • Slowly returning to the Honda flock...
« Reply #78 on: September 23, 2005, 09:40:23 pm »
I was using a 4 carb manometer, and every time I adjusted 3-4, 1-2 would change.  And every time I adjusted 1-2 to get them even, 3-4 would change.  And what's worse, when I adjusted 4 by itself, all the others would change.

Boy was that frustrating...  But I finally got it.

I can't imagine trying to do that with a single tuner!
Signatures are for wimps!

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #79 on: September 24, 2005, 02:10:22 am »
Yamaha used to do a single gauge with a rotary valve and multiple connectors IT WAS CRAP!!! when you adjust one carb the others will alter also, at least in 95% of cases, so you need to see all four at the same time.
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

jimbo

« Reply #80 on: September 24, 2005, 05:13:12 am »
Sounds like I just need to order one from JCW.  I'll do that today.  I can still ride it as it is so the weekend's not a total loss.

Offline techy5025

• Expert
  • 1969 Diecast and Sandcast 750's
« Reply #81 on: September 24, 2005, 11:19:09 am »
Trust me...

Unless you are a person with infinite patience...go with four readouts.
Dials, mercury manometer, or carbtune all should work OK.

I have a single dial type guage mounted to a manifold that allows
selection of any or alll of the four carbs.  It mounts under the left
side cover and  is good for a quick check but not much else.

The old K0 carb set had TWELVE  adjustments and the new ones have
NINE.....all interact with each other.

Anyone who has ever tried to converge and old color tv set will
appreciate the problem.  ::)

Jim

1969 750 K0 (Reborn)
1969 Sandcast 750 K0 (Reborn)
2003 CBR600F4I

Offline 6pkrunner

• Expert
« Reply #82 on: November 03, 2005, 10:30:46 am »
I have quite a few articles and road tests as I have every magazine I bought since 1966. quite a few road tests and several Big Bike magazines dedicated to the 750 mainly.

southbound

« Reply #83 on: February 08, 2006, 09:20:59 pm »
Well, now that i'm a proud owner of a '74 CB 550, i'm sure i'll be spending quite a bit of time on this thing, so hello to everyone.

Now to my first question:

I started syncing the carbs tonight- one of 'em was off from the others- and once i got them done, i revved it up- oops, forgot to tighten the locking nuts.  now i can't even get it cranked, and the screws are all out of whack.  any recommendations for starting from scratch with carb syncing?

thanks.

Offline bistromath

• Hot Shot
« Reply #84 on: February 08, 2006, 09:28:39 pm »
Well, you could try setting the screws to the same height above the lock nut, I don't know if that would get you started or not; but the best thing to do is to take the airbox off and bench sync by looking at the slide heights.

That said, try giving it a little throttle when you're starting it and that will probably get you far enough to get a basic sync done.
'75 CB550F

southbound

« Reply #85 on: February 09, 2006, 06:46:45 am »
I'll give it a shot again on saturday.  the problem last night was that i killed my battery trying to start it, killing my momentum.  i think i flooded it in the process.  since it'll sit for a couple of days, probably not a bad time to do the tappets and cam chain.  anybody else got advice?  it's my first time sync'ing carbs. 

Offline pmpski_1

• Hot Shot
  • Beast V and Beast I
    • My CB550 related blog on MSN Spaces
« Reply #86 on: February 09, 2006, 07:59:32 am »
i killed my battery trying to start it
Get used to the kickstarter. If it's not going to start or is hard starting you'll drain the battery every time. (Yes, I learned the hard way). Plus, you'll get some excercise  :)
Beast   I: 1974 CB550K
Beast IV: 1976 Chevy Blazer
Beast  V: 2003 Buell XB9S

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #87 on: February 09, 2006, 09:52:39 am »
anybody else got advice?  it's my first time sync'ing carbs. 

It's an air cooled motor.  Put a window fan at the front of the bike blowing air across the motor for extended stationary runs.  An overheated motor will give funny readings in vacuum.  And, the bike should be thoroughly warmed up before Carb sync.  This gives too little time to adjust all four carbs before you get into the "too hot" range without a good fan.

I got one of those big commercials fans.  Moves a lot of air.  It's almost like tuning the bike while riding.  Except the bugs are minced before striking you. ;D ;D

Cheers,
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

southbound

« Reply #88 on: February 10, 2006, 05:28:27 am »
Ok, got it...  all i needed to do was let it sit for about 24 hours, and it cranked, idled long enough to sync 'em last night. 

wow, what a difference.  almost threw me off the back.  thanks for the help guys!

Offline eurban

• Master
« Reply #89 on: February 10, 2006, 07:42:28 am »
Glad to hear it worked out.  Just to add, I have found that alot of synching difficulties  can be avoided by initialy adjusting the carbs to all have an equal space between the bottom of the slides and the carb bores.  This would be a so called "bench synching" and seems to make the proper synching job on the bike go much more smoothly, particularly if the settings were way off.   Of course this is a bit difficult to do with the carbs on the bike but it is possible.  If the bike is running pretty smoothly and has been synched in the rencent past then there is no need to waste time with it.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 07:45:10 am by eurban »

Offline jdpas29

• Hot Shot
  • my bike is 100% sandcast!!
    • My band = white bread
« Reply #90 on: February 24, 2006, 11:08:36 pm »
 :)

i've got a 78 750K with stock air filter, 4-2 exhaust, stock ignition and shiny fenders on the front and rear  :-* ...

my question is....  what RPM should i set the bike at to synch the carbs using 4 vacuum gauge setup?

also.... should the air filter be taken out to synch carbs?  i saw that somewhere and it got me wondering.
cars are gay.

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #91 on: February 25, 2006, 12:04:41 am »
Synch at idle speeds.  Air filter installed.  And a fan blowing on a fully warmed up engine and after all the other tuneup items have been nailed.

Cheers,
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline GroovieGhoulie

• Master
  • I have to return some videotapes.
« Reply #92 on: February 25, 2006, 01:11:06 am »
I just sync'd my engine after tuning everything else and with the fan and everything.

Awesome.

Clutch rattle is gone.  The numbers were all way off each other and off the range in some cases.

Got her purring all sexy now.

Offline jdpas29

• Hot Shot
  • my bike is 100% sandcast!!
    • My band = white bread
« Reply #93 on: February 25, 2006, 06:03:07 am »
thanks a lot guys...  i've got this carb synch tool coming in the mail and my airbox and stuff came already.  i was so excited when i got the airbox because i opened it up and it had a UNI already in it!  i was like weeeeee!!!  but then i took it out and the spongey stuff was coming apart in my hands.  ARGH!  but it's kewl... i had already ordered a stock honda filter.  the box is actually from an 78 750F, but i think it's going to work.  i gotta go get a couple of mounting screws for the box from Lowe's for the box.

hey.. one more question.   there are a few hoses that i'm wondering about on my 78. 

1.  there is a black rubber hose on the right side of the bike back near where the end of the exhaust is.  it's about a 3/4 inch around and has a cap in the end of it.  is this supposed to be capped?

2.  there are 2 hoses on top of the airbox.  one is the inlet for the warm air return i believe, but there is another black rubber hose that doesn't go into the box but is mounted in a bracket going across the top of the box.  it is about 1/4 inch around.  what is this booger?  it has been cut but if it's important i'll redo it to wherever it goes.

thanks for the help, boys!
cars are gay.

theunrulychef

« Reply #94 on: February 25, 2006, 07:30:26 am »
The 78 F's had some newfangled emmisions gear, I believe.  One probably connects for crankcase ventilation / warm air, the other might be a drain or return line.  There's a manual that will show the routings / what you can close off etc.  The same manual covers both K & F bikes, so it would probably be a good thing for you to have anyways.  I printed it off (at work  ;D) & put all the pages in plastic sleeves so I can have it with me while I'm working.

Offline jtb

• An unlikely
  • Expert
« Reply #95 on: February 25, 2006, 07:53:41 am »
Send me your address and I'll put that manual on a cd and send it to you.

John
1977 CB750F
1985 V65 Sabre
1986 VFR 750 (gone but missed greatly)

Offline JonnyHonda

• Enthusiast
  • I've been ill, ok.
    • Honda-SOHC
« Reply #96 on: March 13, 2006, 11:35:15 am »
Ok I've had a search through old posts and I can't find a mention of this (Steve, prove me wrong). I'm looking for a set of vacuum gauges, and was wondering if it is possible to use a twin set, an balance one pair at a time?

After all the Pistons work in pairs, don't they?, and if you know what setting to set them to, It would work, wouldn't it?

Can you tell I don't what the 'eck I'm talking about.
Regards and Ride Safe

<url>http://www.honda-sohc.co.uk</url>

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #97 on: March 13, 2006, 11:39:52 am »
Actually, I think this can be done. I seem to recall having read about someone who did this using gauges that he used primarily for a BMW. Did just what you are suggesting, started with two and always kept one, the same one, as the reference carb. I'll see if I can relocate it.
We'll all be someone else's PO some day.

eldar

« Reply #98 on: March 13, 2006, 11:41:40 am »
Might work but sounds like a pain. I just got a set from my local honda shop for $40. syncing is enough of a headache the way it is!

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #99 on: March 13, 2006, 11:47:02 am »
If you are interested in giving it a try, I found what I was looking for. It's actually for a product called TwinMax, but here are the procedures for more than two cylinders. I agree with the previous post only because of my love/hate relationship with my carbs, doing all four at once was bad enough.

BALANCING WITH THE TWINMAX

It is important on engines with more than two cylinders that you always balance all the cylinders against one which remains the reference or constant. Often there is one cylinder which is intended for this use-your manual will tell you this. It is suggested you use tube "A" for the reference cylinder. For good results, the engine should be near running temperature. On an air-cooled engine or a motorcycle it is advisable to sit a fan in front of the engine/bike to keep the exhaust pipes and motor cooled. On bikes, beware of exhaust pipes getting very hot and blistering nearby plastic fairings, etc. Keep an eye on engine temperature!

1. Ensure there is slack in the cable from the twistgrip or throttle pedal. If there is not a master idle screw, ensure all cable or rod adjusters have some free play-this makes sure that all carbs are sitting at idle, i.e., with their valves shut. Position the TWINMAX conveniently on the bike, such as on the saddle or on top of the frame and switch it on.

2. Connect the tubes to the carbs-one on the reference cylinder and the other on to one of the other carbs.

3. Turn the SENSITIVITY knob fully to MAXI.

4. Adjust the ZERO know until the meter needle is precisely through the middle of zero on the scale; this adjustment is very sensitive and very important.

5. Turn the SENSITIVITY knob back to MINI.

6. Start the engine and allow it to settle to a steady tickover. Don't be afraid of blipping the throttle-this makes certain the throttles are properly seated on their stops.

7. Slowly turn the SENSITIVITY knob until a deviation shows on the scale. The less out of balance the two cylinders being tested are, the more you will have to turn the SENSITIVITY knob to show an imbalance on the scale.

8. If there is present reference cylinder, quickly check each cylinder with one tube and choose the cylinder with the minimum deviation from zero on the scale as the reference cylinder.

9. Adjust the idle/slow running screw on the carb being adjusted (not the reference carb) until the meter shows an equal deviation on each size of zero. The meter is very sensitive, so care must be taken to use small increments of adjustment. Blip the throttle each time you make an adjustment to ensure the throttles are properly seated.

10. Repeat for all cylinders.

Once all the carbs are balanced at idle, they must next be balanced on throttle opening. As before, balance each carb against the reference cylinder.

Note that the balance must be checked as the throttle is opening and the engine is accelerating, NOT as the throttle is being closed and the revs are dropping. With some practice, you will be able to do this efficiently, and you will also be able to check the balance at a constant throttle opening.

You may find that a cylinder will balance fine on the opening up stage, but not on a constant opening; the skill lies in being able to interpret this and achieve a balance between one and the other.

11. Start with the SENSITIVITY knob about the middle of its' range. Run the engine and this time open the throttle gently and run the revs up to 3000 or 4000 rpm and make a note of any deviation on the scale; again, if it is not pronounced, increase the SENSITIVITY.

12. Now adjust the carb throttle actuator-this is either a cable or screw acting onto a plate or rod and may be hidden inside the carburetor top. Be careful to make only small adjustments. Note that if there are locking nuts on the adjusters, doing these up will affect the setting so double check the results and blip the throttle to settle things out.

13. Repeat for all the cylinders.

14. Adjust the slack in the cable from the twistgrip/pedal to manufacturer's specifications.

We'll all be someone else's PO some day.