Author Topic: Odd rear wheel bearing in 400F?  (Read 1121 times)

Offline Speedy

Odd rear wheel bearing in 400F?
« on: August 15, 2014, 10:58:09 am »
Made this mistake of throwing out the old bearing before installing new All Balls bearings.  The brake side (opposite the screw in retainer) has longer inner race that protrudes out one side.  The new bearing does not have this and is therefor too short (will not reach the inside axle spacer).  Has anyone ran into this before?  I could use a washer IF I knew how thick it was.  But it might be a hassle with the axle if it fell to the side?

It seems the All Balls bearings are not right for this bike, do they make one that is?  I can see if I can get an OEM bearing if it's the same (?), but it seems odd to have a bearing like this in the first place.  All they need to do was make a longer axle spacer.  Typical Honda over engineering!

Offline bjbuchanan

• Master
Re: Odd rear wheel bearing in 400F?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 02:10:23 pm »
The brake side bearing has a little depth collar thing in it that has to be separated from the bearing and put in the new bearing. It helps space the collar properly
The dirty girl-1976 cb750k, Ebay 836, Tracy bodykit
Round top carbs w/ 38 pilots, middle needle position, airscrew 7/8ths out, 122 main jet
Stock airbox w/ drop in K&N, Hooker 4-1

Don't trust me alone with a claw hammer and some pliers

Offline Speedy

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 01:24:00 pm »
So in other words the thing I threw out.  Great.  Do you know if this comes with a new OEM bearing?

Offline bjbuchanan

• Master
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 02:56:58 pm »
I really doubt that it comes with a new bearing as it is considered a separate piece and considered a spacer.

The link I have attached below is the rear wheel schematic, what you tossed out is part #11. It is called the distance collar. Don't get too p!ssed, I nearly did the same thing last week on my 400f. It is really easy to do. I know it is after the fact but when I do jobs like that I keep the old parts around for a little bit in the old packaging just in case. Saved me a couple times now, like in the case of my 400f. I only caught it because it obviously doesn't work without the piece.

Post a wanted ad in the classifieds section, somebody will probably have a rear wheel or something for you. If I had a spare rear wheel I would hook you up but no luck.
Round top carbs w/ 38 pilots, middle needle position, airscrew 7/8ths out, 122 main jet

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 12:08:01 am »
42625-286-000 ,also used in cl/sl350/cb360,350/cl/cj360

Offline Speedy

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 11:00:35 am »
Well I actually found the old bearing with the spacer, but it does NOT fit the KML bearing in the All Balls kit (the inner race is the same size as the axle), so it looks like I have to get an OEM bearing?

Anyone else have this issue with All Balls?

Offline Bodi

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 11:41:04 am »
These are normal standard bearings. There's nothing magic in an OEM bearing except it probably only has one side sealed, I would advise using double sealed bearings (like All Balls supplies). If All Balls sent the wrong size then that's odd, I've never heard of a problem... but I just go to a bearing shop to buy industrial bearings for wheels. Generally cheaper, and I have them in hand immediately - these types are stocked at any bearing shop in E3 clearance which is A-OK for bike wheels
I haven't had a 400F rear wheel apart in a couple of years but as I recall they have a 6303 bearing on one side and a 6304 on the other side where that spacer is. Check the bearing numbers on what you have... if you look at a parts fiche somewhere the Honda part number includes the standard bearing number like 6303.

Offline bjbuchanan

• Master
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 03:24:01 pm »
Well I actually found the old bearing with the spacer, but it does NOT fit the KML bearing in the All Balls kit (the inner race is the same size as the axle), so it looks like I have to get an OEM bearing?

Anyone else have this issue with All Balls?

Your 'inner race' is not the inner race, it is the collar stuck to the bearing, drive it out of there. When the new collar is in there properly it is inside the bearing and the axle runs through that

I just used an all balls kit to do a 400f, it worked just fine. Verify the part numbers on the bearing against the original. Whatever letters after the numbers just denote shielded/not shielded.

Offline Speedy

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 07:16:22 pm »
My appologies to All Balls, SOHC forum and Honda for being an complete idiot!  I got the sides confused and the bearing with the collar was the one I installed first so it wasn't obvious. Simple enough to put it the collar in while in the hub.  More times than not when I think something is wrong its NOT.  You'd think I would have figured that out by now???

Offline bjbuchanan

• Master
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 08:49:08 pm »
Sh!t happens, I just pretend no one noticed 8)