Author Topic: cb350 four cam chain question  (Read 910 times)

Offline Dos

• Expert
  • Owner of a cb350f
cb350 four cam chain question
« on: October 16, 2014, 04:11:55 pm »
Hey guys so about 2 months ago my bike started to really sound like keys were rattling around in the engine.. about a month ago my bike stopped working(unrelated to this problem) and today i just fixed it (thanks to you guys).. After letting the bike run for a little and revving it here and there I would hear a high pitched squeak sound. I had some friends over and they all said its definitely the cam chain because the same thing happened to them..

This makes sense to me because 2 months ago when it really sounded like keys were rattling around I tightened the cam chain tension bolt.. I ended up snapping the back end of the bolt and now the bolt it stuck in the screw hole in the engine.. After that happened i continued to ride but the key sound was still the same as before

I'm afraid to ride it because of the sound I'm hearing and I don't want to ruin the engine or anything. My question is: Is this going to be a big job? Can i take the gas tank off and work with it there or will i have to unload the engine?

I've heard the cam chain tensioners are garbage and wear out quickly. Any suggestions on products to buy and replace? ..
I'll do some research right now
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 07:19:43 am by Dos »

Online calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
Re: cb350 four cam chain question
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 04:53:13 pm »
Here's the schematic for the cam chain tensioner:
http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb350f1-four-1974-usa_model434/partslist/E++05.html#results

And a recent thread in same issue:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=140464.msg1590993#msg1590993
You might message Calum and see how his turned out.

And another thread for reference:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=131731.msg1472396#msg1472396

I guess the point I'm making is that you most likely will be opening the engine to some degree so you can inspect the cam chain tensioner. If the chain has been making that much noise, likely you have significant wear on the sprockets and tensioner and may well need to replace prior to it imploding within your engine. (A broken or seized cam chain can: bend valves, wrap around the crank and cause REAL damage, damage the cam shaft and associates bearings, etc).

'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Dos

• Expert
  • Owner of a cb350f
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 09:02:40 am »
When looking into the top part of the engine inspecting the cam chain what should I be looking for specifically. I heard keys rattling and a high pitched dinging.. So far I know I should look at the sprockets and the chain of course. I saw online a video of a guy putting in rubber things on the sides of the chain
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 12:45:36 pm by Dos »

Offline Dos

• Expert
  • Owner of a cb350f
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 09:19:56 pm »

Offline cadman

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 01:33:46 pm »
Had the same problem but with an easy-out already stuck in the bolt from someone trying to remove it. Spent lots of time messing with it.  I finally got the easy-out removed and then just drilled out the remaining portion of the bolt.  This of course damaged the threads in the case. (Fill the drill bit with grease to catch the removed metal bits as you drill - careful as you get to the end not to damage the tensioner - once the hole is complete drain the oil and flush with about of pint of diesel oil. The remaining bits, if there are any, will not get past the oil filter.)

Finally figured out that you could tap 3/8 threads in the larger hole (near the outside of the case) in the case.  So I bought a piece of 3/8" threaded rod and ground down the end to fit the small hole in the case.  Threaded the large hole, cut the 3/8" to the proper length and added a locking nut.

Offline eigenvector

• Master
  • Member of the despondent public
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 01:43:52 pm »
Incidentally, videos like that are the reason why I own a bike like this.  Not because of the problems it can have, but because of the sounds, smells, and feeling you get from riding it.
Rob
--------------------------------
2018 HD Softail Heritage
1979 CB750K Limited Edition
1977 CB550K
1984 CB700SC Nighthawk
1983 VF750S Sabre

Offline Dos

• Expert
  • Owner of a cb350f
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 11:29:25 am »
Jeez this seems like a big project...sigh. I gotta put a new front tire on fix this can chain/ tensioner issue and maybe get a new oil filter.. If anyone lives near Essex county NJ I would be willing to pay for an expert mechanic job starting at 100