Author Topic: RE: CB750 Install Grease fitting into front / rear wheel hub  (Read 1419 times)

Offline chewbacca5000

• I polish covers!
  • Old Timer
RE: CB750 Install Grease fitting into front / rear wheel hub
« on: January 19, 2015, 02:07:03 pm »
I have a bike that has sat for 20+ years and I would like regrease the bearings.  Is there a way to regrease, or maybe even install a grease fitting into the hubs?  Bike only has 8,000 miles on it, but pretty sure grease is dried out by now.

Offline oldhatt45

• The person called in at the last minute to share the blame is the...
  • Expert
  • Just an Old Guy that's gone to the Dogs
Re: RE: CB750 Install Grease fitting into front / rear wheel hub
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 04:13:43 pm »
chewbacca5000,

Has it been kept indoors for that 20+ years????
Reason I ask is that my bike was kept in garage for 26+ years and grease was still grease in the front hub/bearings.
But, I did replace the front bearings, just because.  And will also replace the rear bearings, again, just because.

Charlie

Offline chewbacca5000

• I polish covers!
  • Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 05:15:45 pm »
chewbacca5000,

Reason I ask is that my bike was kept in garage for 26+ years and grease was still grease in the front hub/bearings.
But, I did replace the front bearings, just because.  And will also replace the rear bearings, again, just because.

Charlie

I found it in a shed, but might have spent some time outside.  Recently paid $60 for front and rear bearings at local supply house so not so excited about that.

Wheel work is my least favourite task.

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 05:21:48 pm »
If you look at how everything is assembled installing a grease fitting that would do any good. Mine probably sat as long and the grease was still grease. I know the white greases turn into something solid, but this is different.

If you find yourself removing the wheels for some reason, I found replacing the wheel bearings pretty easy. Replacing the steering head bearings was a booger. I would burn the sucker before I do steering head again.   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline Whaleman

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 05:24:13 pm »
No real way to install a grease fitting and have it work. Dan

Offline oldhatt45

• The person called in at the last minute to share the blame is the...
  • Expert
  • Just an Old Guy that's gone to the Dogs
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 05:59:38 pm »
chewbacca5000,

LOL, I can understand the "least favorite thing" syndrome. 
I know I'm only replacing my wheel bearings because.
And the fact that if they are or have the possibility to go bad after 38+ years, it will happen at the Least favorable time in terms of my health and well being.  LOL
And besides, once every 38 years, I can handle it.  LOL

Charlie

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 06:21:42 pm »
chewbacca5000,

Charlie

I found it in a shed, but might have spent some time outside.  Recently paid $60 for front and rear bearings at local supply house so not so excited about that.

Wheel work is my least favourite task.

Grease the bearings and put the whole bearing kit in the freezer now so it will always be ready. Make yourself a spanner. Drill out the stakes, be sure to do that. Spin off the retainer. Pound the bearings put from behind. Heat the hub a bit and Tap out the races. When the hub is still warm the frozen races should almost fall into place and only need a few taps to get them in properly. Put the retainer back in, stake it or loctite it and you are ready to roll.   
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?