Author Topic: Kimtab Rims?  (Read 8843 times)

Offline Impala

Kimtab Rims?
« on: March 01, 2015, 07:31:26 am »
Hello, Got these rims with a early CB750 that I bought from Arizona. Privious owner was into racing. I was told they are kimtab? Was that a aftermarket Co. in the 70ies? History? The rear brake set-up looks interesting is that a kimtab set-up? looks a bit rigged as it uses flat washers to space out caliper. Rear sprocket is direct coupled to hub, must be rough on chain and gears. I would like to restore wheels, what color would they have been. Thanks, Paul

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
  • Helmets Save Lives. Period.
Re: Kimtab Rims?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 07:39:01 am »
Very cool.  Very rare.

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 07:46:51 am »
I had a set for a while. NEver installed them, but ownership caused curiosity and I learned about them. What turned me off to using them was their stock widths. Too skinny for a cafe racer/road racer which was what I was into at the time. Went with aluminum spoked instead.

IIRC, they made aluminum and magnesium. The magnesium had a reputation for failure, probably undeserved. Still I would take them to a metals firm and have them tested. I did so to my HawkGT front wheel after I crashed it hitting a chuck hole. Everything was fine, cost $30.

The rear brake was an Airhart unit, much smaller than the one in your pic. Much harder to get hold of also, probably why you have the unit you have.

The direct drive was also a negative for a street bike. OK for cafe/road racer. I've never ridden a direct drive, would have to be rough I'd think.

I forget the color, just sort of a natural metal gray I think. IF you're going to use them, I'd make them complement your overall scheme.

PS: Upon further review, that brake setup is NOT what Kimtab had in mind. The Airhart (sp?) was much more petite.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 07:48:36 am by MCRider »
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline Powderman

• Master
    • Creative Candy Powder Coating
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 09:27:35 am »
Kimtab was a company in Monrovia, Cal. They went bankrupt in 1976. I was able to secure the last set of wheels sold out of the factory. They were originally an anodized gold color. The had a Honda CB750 bolt pattern for rotors. I mentioned to a friend that I wanted a set like my brother has. He mentioned they may have gone out of business so I jumped on the phone to inquire as I really wanted a set. The guy who answered said in fact they had bankrupted and had gone into receivership that day. I begged and pleaded my case for about 5 minutes till he asked what it was I wanted. I needed a full set of wheels and brakes. This included 2 wheels, all brackets, rotors (3), lines, calipers, sprocket,master cylinders. The works. He says I shouldn't be doing this but be at the back door of the warehouse at 9am, bring $415. That was a good bit of money in 76 for a set of wheels. I showed up at 9, knocked on the back door and to opened about 6"s and a hand came out palm up. I put $415 in that palm and then the door slid open just far enough for him to slide the box out the door with his foot and it slammed right after the box cleared. Probably an illegal deal but I just didn't care, I was the proud owner of the last set out the door.
The wheels in your pics are the original gold color they came in. They did make them in aluminum also and , I believe they are more rare (I've never seen one in person), though not as desirable due to the weight difference. The Kimtab magnesium bare wheel weighs in the 8.2lb neighborhood. The Airheart caliper did a fine job by 70's standards but I have upgraded recently to Hawg Halter 4 piston calipers all around, now stoppies are capable that were not before.
Curious what you paid for the bike. These wheels are bring in the $500 neighborhood now for the bare wheel with no bearing carriers or anything.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 09:36:03 am by Powderman »

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 09:34:27 am »
Kimtab was a company in Monrovia, Cal. They went bankrupt in 1976. I was able to secure the last set of wheels sold out of the factory. They were originally an anodized gold color. The had a Honda CB750 bolt pattern for rotors. I mentioned to a friend that I wanted a set like my brother has. He mentioned they may have gone out of business so I jumped on the phone to inquire as I really wanted a set. The guy who answered said in fact they had bankrupted and had gone into receivership that day. I begged and pleaded my case for about 5 minutes till he asked what it was I wanted. I needed a full set of wheels and brakes. This included 2 wheels, all brackets, rotors (3), lines, calipers, sprocket,master cylinders. The works. He says I shouldn't be doing this but be at the back door of the warehouse at 9am, bring $415. That was a good bit of money in 76 for a set of wheels. I showed up at 9, knocked on the back door and to opened about 6"s and a hand came out palm up. I put $415 in that palm and then the door slid open just far enough for him to slide the box out the door with his foot and it slammed right after the box cleared. Probably an illegal deal but I just didn't care, I was the proud owner of the last set out the door.
Great story.
Gold, I remember now.
Did you get the rear brake too?
Where are they now?
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline Powderman

• Master
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 09:52:10 am »
On your set up it looks like someone got just the wheels and then parted the system together. The bearing carriers on yours are not Kimtab, Kimtabs were the same shape as the wheel.

Here is my bike when the Kimtabs were new. I run a 4.00-18 rear and a 100/90 -19 front. Plenty of rubber for a bike this size.

Offline Powderman

• Master
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 09:54:40 am »
Great story.
Gold, I remember now.
Did you get the rear brake too?
Where are they now?

Where are they now? Right here on my bike:

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 10:00:02 am »
Very nice. I couldn't quite tell from your avatar if such was so, I guess it is.
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline Powderman

• Master
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 10:02:00 am »
Kimtabs rotors were only 1/8" thick. I had a rear calipers slide seize so it ended up cupping the rear rotor. I had coleman racing products cut me a new 1/4" rotor to replace it.

Here is the Kimtab front caliper and bracket:

Refinished mine in Sparkle Silver powder coating:

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 02:49:14 pm »
Great find Impala.

Yeah that is a great story Powderman....just in the nick of time so to speak. $415 but I bet you smiled for days.

I have to say, I'm not an HD fan, but that is a very sharp bike you have.

I'd sure like to find a set of light wheels for my racebike... anyone have a set of Astralites kicking around?  ::)

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2015, 02:55:24 pm »
Great find Impala.

Yeah that is a great story Powderman....just in the nick of time so to speak. $415 but I bet you smiled for days.

I have to say, I'm not an HD fan, but that is a very sharp bike you have.

I'd sure like to find a set of light wheels for my racebike... anyone have a set of Astralites kicking around?  ::)

I think 754 {Frank} has Brent.... ;)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Impala

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2015, 03:54:16 pm »
Thanks for the story/history of rims Powderman. About brake set-up maybe somebody made a kit back then to use the stock Honda brake parts. Bracket does not look home made. Thanks.

Offline goldarrow

• one day, i'll be an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2015, 03:58:37 pm »
My Kimtab set came with these on the rear. I think 550 front calipers
Life Is Full Of Challenges - And My Backyard Is Full Of SOHC4's

CB550 K0
CB750 K0, K2, K23 JDM, K45, K5
And the little ones z50r, xr50r, st90

750k5 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=114817.0

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2015, 04:14:50 pm »
The rear brake pictured is an early 750 front caliper, with a rare CFC (Checkered Flag Customs) "C" bracket for a dual disc setup.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Powderman

• Master
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2015, 04:56:58 pm »
The other pics here of caliper setups all look like a bare wheel was started with and then parts from the bike they were going on were fitted. Everything on mine came from Kimtab. I don't remember asking anything about what they were going on at the time so I'm confused as to how the bolt pattern on the front bracket is the correct one for a 19" wheel on Ceriani's. Since only the rotor arches to the wheel just about any caliper will work if you can get it mounted to your application.

Offline Impala

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2015, 05:19:34 pm »
Good eye scottly and a picture of the bracket also! What hat did you pull that out of? Thanks.

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2015, 05:33:51 pm »
The CFC bracket was originally on my Seeley, which used a K1 donor bike. Note the dark grey color; it's magnesium. What is on the front of the bike?
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2015, 05:45:23 pm »
Brent Rennstar are still making Astralites if you want new ones... ;)

http://www.rennstar.com/products.html
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Powderman

• Master
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2015, 03:26:46 pm »
The brackets on the OP's wheels look to be stock Kimtab. If you look at my original front brackets you can see it's made from the same 1/4" aluminum stock. His rotors look to be stock CB units. I sold my original Hurst/Airheart calipers  a couple of years ago.
I noticed in one post I mentioned the pic of the original set up, but forgot to post the pic.Here it is. What was nice about the package was that it was completely bolt on with no modifications needed.

I get sick overtime I see this fairing on my bike. It disappeared and they are made of unobtainium. I've not seen another in 35 years, one piece acrylic. Fit the bike perfectly and I would run it on my current set up if I had one.

Offline Powderman

• Master
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2015, 03:29:52 pm »

Where did you get the set up, factory or used?

Offline goldarrow

• one day, i'll be an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2015, 03:39:47 pm »

Where did you get the set up, factory or used?

It came with the bike

CB550 K0

Offline Powderman

• Master
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2015, 03:47:58 pm »
That bracket looks to be a Kimtab bracket for the customer supplied caliper. There was one mod I had to make and that was fabbing a custom front axle.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2015, 04:32:19 pm »
It's probably a first generation caliber setup..the whhel is magnesium too..look at the black color..
 Still got the Astralights.... Would trade for Kimtabs.
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline goldarrow

• one day, i'll be an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2015, 08:17:03 pm »

It's probably a first generation caliber setup..the whhel is magnesium too..look at the black color..
 Still got the Astralights.... Would trade for Kimtabs.

Your astralights are pair? May be sell instead of trade ??? ;)

CB550 K0

Offline Powderman

• Master
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2015, 08:25:29 pm »
I got a guy emailing me trying to sell me bare wheels for $600. Too much for my blood. He says he has a few sets including a 21"