Author Topic: Wiring gremlin  (Read 812 times)

Offline bb1970

Wiring gremlin
« on: March 07, 2015, 06:29:30 pm »
Ok, new here, I just replaced the wiring harness on an 1983 Honda nighthawk 550, now when I hook up the battery, and the key is off, the starter starts rolling the motor and the oil light Ian's gauge lights are on , anyone help me out ? Thank you

Offline hsas.69

• Enthusiast
Re: Wiring gremlin
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 07:17:46 pm »
How did you replace the harness? Make your own, buy one?
78 CB750 F3
78 CB550 K4

Offline martin99

• UK Based, Non-
  • Master
  • Adventure before Dementia
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 01:16:03 am »
Isn't your bike a DOHC? If so, wrong forum :-[

In relation to your problem, I'd check the wiring at the ignition switch first. Some aftermarket looms are not always faithful to the original, colours may differ, switch could be faulty or you could just have made a plain simple mistake. Arm yourself with the correct wiring diagram and check through every connection, front to back. Good luck :)
Build threads:
77 750F2 Refresh Project http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=144075.0
TRIBSA http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,160296.0.html

1977 CB750 F2
1958 Norton Model 99
2011 Triumph Street Triple 675

Offline bb1970

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 03:33:29 am »
The wire harness I bought off eBay, and yes the 83 nighthawk is a DOHC motor, sorry if I'm on the wrong forum, I just found this forum and figured I would or could find someone that might be able to give me helpful advise. I bought this bike and the previous owner messed up the original wire harness, it looked like the original wire harness has some melted wires. Looks like I may have to get a new ignition switch and CDI box and replace other electrical components as well, Thank you for your replies.

Offline Bodi

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 10:30:09 am »
First unplug the ignition keyswitch and see if it still does this. If it does, track down how the black wire is getting power without the switch. If not, check the switch is working properly and that it is the correct one for your harness. The burned harness wires indicate something was really wrong: if a battery was connected backwards strange things would happen including burnt wires. The reg/rect may be blown and now it connects battery power to ignition (black wire) power: unplugging it would tell the tale. I don't think any components other than the ignition switch and reg/rect have both battery and ignition power connections.
That reverse power would fry the reg/rect and probably the ignition module. Maybe other stuff but I don't know the DOHC wiring so well.