Author Topic: Cold header on 4th cylinder  (Read 1157 times)

Offline NebraskaMechanicDynamite

Cold header on 4th cylinder
« on: April 13, 2015, 01:23:30 pm »
Hi,

After revising and selling my first CB500 four, I recently bought a "new" 500 to work on (the condition of my 550 is just too good to keep me busy).
Anyway, I ran into some trouble: after starting up, exhaust headers 1, 2 and 3 are too hot to touch after 30 seconds. Header 4 however, doesn't get any warmer than a rare steak.

Compression on all cylinders is around 134 PSI (cold engine)
All spark plugs are new NGK D7EA's and #4 fires just like the others: significant blue spark.

Could it have something to do with the ignition timing or the carbs?

Hope I'm not double posting. Could not find a similar subject.

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: Cold header on 4th cylinder
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 01:40:35 pm »
i doubt its the coils, but if you want to absolutely rule them out, switch 1&4 wires. 
if the symptom stays the same (cold #4) move on to carbs and fuel delivery...
remove and clean carbs thoroughly.
check that all mixture screws are set the same, pilot jets are all clean and clear of debris, and float heights are all equal.
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mine…"

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 02:33:05 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply!
I switched the wires and #4 stays cold, so I guess the carbs are coming off one of these days.

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 03:28:24 pm »
I would also try swapping plugs, you never know.  ::)
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Draw and drawer. Could care less/couldn't care less. Bought/brought FFS.

Les Ross.            Certified by a Professional

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 03:37:15 pm »
Do you have a nice blue spark on #4? [know how to check?]

How old are your spark plug caps?
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 12:45:01 am »
No idea how old the caps are. Some of them came loose while swapping, but they can still be fitted tightly to the wires.
I disconnected the caps and put a spark plug in one of them. Held the side of the plug against the engine and pressed the electric starter for a short time. I did this with a couple of wires and different plugs on the fourth one. Every combination gave the same blue sparking result. No harm in replacing wires/caps I guess, but I'm shure it's not the electrical system causing the problem. As said: plugs are brand new.

Offline Bodi

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 04:00:45 am »
Cold, with choke full on and kill switch off, crank it for a few seconds. Remove #4 plug and look in at the piston top. It should be wet with fuel.

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 04:09:54 am »
Is there fuel in c#4 carburetor bowl?

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 04:52:19 am »
Yes, there was a quite a lot of gasoline in the bowl. About as much as in the other ones I think, but I already drained some of it before I opened the carbs.
On the picture the fourth carburator is on the left. I disassembled them all, but nothing was too gummed up, broken or stuck. Every carb looked the same (I opened some working carburators before) . All mixture screws were turned 1,5 turns outward. Only thing that attracted my attention were the torn gaskets on the main jets. So I replaced them all with new ones of the right size. Any suggestions or remarks before I put them back on? I hate taking of/putting on the carburators  ;D
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 03:00:54 pm by Glenn Stauffer »

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 05:09:27 am »
While you have them off, I'd pull the float valve to inspect it, making sure it's not fouled up. I'd also measure your float heights and verify proper level and operation of the floats themselves. Might also remove the emulsion tubes to confirm they're not clogged up.

You didn't indicate whether #4 plug was wet or not? If it's wet, then fuel is getting to the plug, but not being burned. If not wet, the problem is clogged delivery.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 08:54:09 am »
Plug was dry.
I looked a little better at the carburator and found some white tarnish inside #4, as can be seen on the picture. Any idea what might have caused this? Also the pilot jet was fouled up on the inside. Cleaned it with brake cleaner and ran some air through it until the opening was free again. At the moment I don't have a 6mm socket so I can't get to the needle, but I will clean it tomorrow.
My guess is that the pilot jet is the main problem: when I bought the bike I drove it around for 20 minutes to try it out and the headers were equally hot then. Yesterday was mainly idling.
Floats and float valve look and operate just fine. I can't get the emulsion tube out though. I ran some cleaner through it, but I'm hoping I can push it out from above when the piston and the needle are removed.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 02:59:57 pm by Glenn Stauffer »

Offline Duanob

• Bold Timer
  • Old Timer
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 10:20:14 am »
That white powdery tarnish is what happens when ethanol gas is left in the carbs. I had this problem after every winter and every spring I found myself pulling the carbs off for a good spring cleaning. then i finally got wise and drained everything of fuel before putting it up for the winter. Especially focus on the pilot jets as they have a hair size opening. Imagine that white powdery substance can easily clog a pilot jet. You can remove the bowl and push a cleaning wire through the pilots without removing the carbs.
"Just because you flush a boatload of money down the toilet, doesn't make the toilet worth more",  My Stepfather the Unknown Poet

1974 CB360T
1976 CB550K2 Resurrected
1976 CB550F2 Barn Find
1979 CX500 VG "HONDA-GUZZI"
2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie
2015 BMW F700GS
Another 1976 CB550K Cafe?

__o
_- \_<,
(*) /' (*)

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 02:32:40 pm »
Indeed turned out to be the pilot jet. #4 gets hot again.
Thanks a lot everyone!
This is a video about carburetor disassembly which helped me a lot:

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2015, 02:33:20 pm »
Good work  8)
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mine…"

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2015, 03:29:31 am »
White residue can also be caused by water. Corrosion.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Draw and drawer. Could care less/couldn't care less. Bought/brought FFS.

Les Ross.            Certified by a Professional