Author Topic: Rubber renew and long term effects  (Read 2174 times)

Offline eigenvector

• Master
  • Member of the despondent public
Rubber renew and long term effects
« on: April 22, 2015, 08:09:09 pm »
Does that Rubber Renew stuff or the Oil of Wintergreen substitute work long term or is it simply a short term effect on the rubber?  Got some carb boots that are harder than steel, temporarily softened them with heat and WD-40, but long term it would be nice to get them more pliable so that in say 6 months or a year I don't have to have the same epic battle I just had to win.
Rob
--------------------------------
2018 HD Softail Heritage
1979 CB750K Limited Edition
1977 CB550K
1984 CB700SC Nighthawk
1983 VF750S Sabre

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: Rubber renew and long term effects
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 08:56:58 pm »
It's been a year, and my engine to carb boots are still pliable from the wintergreen treatment.
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mineā€¦"

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 09:16:10 pm »
It's been a year, and my engine to carb boots are still pliable from the wintergreen treatment.

I've had similar success w/ heating the water/Wintergreen mix solution and letting my rubber parts sit in there for a short(1/2 hr.)time w/ low heat.The small thin rubber parts sometimes suffer from the heated solution so I put them in a cold solution and it gives a marginal improvement.
I just used 'Rubber Renue' for the first time a couple days ago;I spread it on liberally to soften an NLA airbox seal gasket that was still fairly soft and it made it a lot softer.. & I think the stuff may be similar to Wintergreen oil..
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline eigenvector

• Master
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 09:19:36 pm »
I'll have to take a trip to the drug store and look around.

The carbs are off for a while, until they've been cleaned up and rebuilt, so I might as well take the time to square away the boots.
Rob
2018 HD Softail Heritage
1977 CB550K
1984 CB700SC Nighthawk
1983 VF750S Sabre

DH

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 10:55:51 pm »

I've had similar success w/ heating the water/Wintergreen mix solution and letting my rubber parts sit in there for a short(1/2 hr.)time w/ low heat.The small thin rubber parts sometimes suffer from the heated solution so I put them in a cold solution and it gives a marginal improvement.
I just used 'Rubber Renue' for the first time a couple days ago;I spread it on liberally to soften an NLA airbox seal gasket that was still fairly soft and it made it a lot softer.. & I think the stuff may be similar to Wintergreen oil..

where can i buy rubber renue?    thx..

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 05:32:17 am »

where can i buy rubber renue?    thx..

DH,I bought my bottle online.

Offline eigenvector

• Master
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 07:59:43 pm »
Well I jumped in with both feet.  Bought a liter of the stuff from Amazon for cheap.  Should be able to soften many of carb boots with that
Rob
2018 HD Softail Heritage
1977 CB550K
1984 CB700SC Nighthawk
1983 VF750S Sabre

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 09:17:31 pm »
Well I jumped in with both feet.  Bought a liter of the stuff from Amazon for cheap.  Should be able to soften many of carb boots with that

I've applied that same stuff 'straight' w/ an applicator(q-tip)and like the results;you may be able to mix some into water and heat it slightly on a stove top/hot plate w/ similar results to Wintergreen oil(it could possibly have the same active ingredient)for doing all your rubber intake manifolds together at the same time.I'd like to hear from another member here who's done that.