Author Topic: cb550 adjustments clarifications and idle question (video)  (Read 805 times)

Offline cj8990

Hey everyone.. just bought my first motorcycle, a 1976 CB550K.  The bike runs great but I've just wanted to make sure that everything is adjusted properly and it's running as good as possible.  First I just had some clarification questions about adjustments and the order they should be done.  Please excuse the grocery list..

1.  First Tappets should be adjusted to factory specs.
2. After this the idle screws should be adjusted?.. My understanding of how this is done is just unscrewing the screw on the side of the carb from its fully seated position until maximum idle is achieved?  If too close to the seated position or more than three turns out then different pilot jets may be needed?
3. Finally, the carbs should be synced using a carb sync tool and matching the vacuum in each carb by adjusting the screws at the top of each carb?

I will be doing these adjustments in a couple weeks when I redo my carbs.  After pulling them off for a cleaning and replacing the bowl gaskets to fix a fuel leak, I found that the previous owner was missing one of the clips that hold the main jet up so he used some kinda sealant to glue it in.  I didn't have the clip so I left it as is for the time being (safe?).  My intention is to do all of the above adjustments in a couple weeks while also replacing all the o-rings on the carbs (and that clip!).. this brings me to my next question.. instead of buying a carb kit is it fine to just order the correct sizes from ttps://www.theoringstore.com/ and use those to save some money?

Last question.. I'm concerned about a chain like noise I hear at idle.  I was thinking if I should do a cam chain adjustment to see if it goes away but thought I'd ask what you guys thought the problem, if any, may be?

thanks for any help, tips, or advice..

-Corey

Offline flatlander

• Old Timer
Re: cb550 adjustments clarifications and idle question (video)
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 12:48:36 am »
first of all, go and download the honda service  manual for your bike: http://manuals.sohc4.net/cb550/
then do at least the full 3000 mile service as described. that will sort out most of the points that you mentioned.

for the o-rings: they need to be fuel resistant. i guess you could source them yourself if you know what to look for i usually get dedicated ones, OEM if available, to be sure they are right.

i would also use the correct spring for the jet, not the work-around with the glue. it may be safe enough if it doesn't let go but do you trust it?
sounds like you should read into a rebuilt of the carbs. do a search on this site, there should be plenty of info.

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 05:52:30 am »
 4into1.com has the clip you need.

http://4into1.com/stainless-steel-main-jet-holder-honda-cb350f-cb400f-cb500k-cb550/

As well as the O rings.

http://4into1.com/replica-keihin-press-fit-secondary-main-jet-o-ring/

Adjust the valves and cam chain, check the timing and then vacuum sync the carbs. While the carbs are off for cleaning/rebuild, bench sync them. Re-use the stock Keihin brass bits in the carbs. The only brass parts I replace, when possible, are the fuel valves (needle/seat valves).

4into1 (as well as Partzilla and others) stock these, too. They're out of the Kester ones at $5/ea., but have some Keihin at $15/ea. You may get by with just replacing the O-ring on yours if you can find the correct size. Don't forget to check the float height.

Do these things and I bet you'll have a sweet runner.
'71 CB500 K0
'17 Triumph Street Scrambler
'81 Yamaha XS650

Online DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 02:50:48 pm »
To my, not really, trained ear the slight tapping sound I hear from the right side sounds like you have a leaking exhaust. Where the headers bolt up to the motor there are (or should be) copper crush gaskets. If it leaks it really sounds like a tapping and not anything like an exhaust leak. Here's a video I made of my bike when I was having an exhaust leak at the headers. New gaskets fixed it right up.

---
1978 Honda CB550K