Author Topic: ARD Magneto  (Read 114501 times)

Offline Jim F

• Need a bigger house for more toys
  • Master
  • go baby go
ARD Magneto
« on: October 24, 2006, 09:24:37 pm »
I just purchased a ARD Mag unit and was wondering if any one out there knows how to time this. Its for my 75 K 750/836 cafe bike. Also is there any info out there or web sites that I can go to that would tell me more about this type of magneto. I understand that these where  suppose to be the trick thing to have back in the day
2002 RC51 1000 (SP2)
1983 GS1100EC Suzuki
2002 998 Dukati (Customers Bike)
1992 KTM500 2 stroke
1975 CB750/836 Honda
1978 GS750/840 Suzuki

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
Re: ARD Magneto
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 10:20:37 pm »
If your big Jimmy French, welcome.

There are a few of us guys going to check it out for you.

Sam.
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 10:58:11 pm »
Does Terry the Oil Cooler Man know anything about these?
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 10:59:18 pm »
Thats who he has bought it off.

Sam.
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 12:02:57 am »
Jim, this info is for RC and Yoshi mags.

The advantage of magneto systems over conventional ignition systems is superior spark producing capability at high engine speeds without using the battery as the power source.
Another important advantage is that the magneto fires only one plug at a time.
Stock ignition will not always work well with a modified engine. As anyone knows, Honda fires 2 plugs simultaneously. One fires just before the intake stroke, one on the power stroke. This is fine with a stock cam.
However with a hot cam, the intake valve is open when the coil fires. This can partially fire the incoming mixture and reduce the efficiency of the engine. Even a good CDI does not solve this problem. Racing engines are not required to have a battery, so the weight saved by removing it gives the magneto a decided advantage. On a street bike which needs a battery for lighting and an electric starter, a magneto may not improve performance over the stock ignition system enough to warrant the expence and effort.

Installation/Timing.

1. Remove the points cover.

2. Remove the valve cover caps on the No 1 cylinder.

3. Turn engine to top dead center of No 1 cylinder with both valves closed.

4. Place transmission in 5th gear to keep engine from turning.

5. Remove point plate assembly, advance unit and stud.

6. Remove magneto outer drive cover and drive stud.

7. Remove O-ring from Honda point stud and install on magneto stud.

8. Install  magneto stud in crankshaft and tighten with allen wrench inserted in predrilled hole.

9. Turn magneto so that line on large pulley lines up with line on magneto case. The magneto is now firing on the No 1 cylinder.

10. Recheck engine to ensure that TDC of No 1 cylinder is still retained. The pin hole in the crankshaft should be in line with Honda timing mark.

11. Install magneto on engine, ensuring that pin in magneto drive aligns with hole in crank.

12. Install 5 screws and tighten securely.

13. Install long center bolt and tighten.

14. The No 1 plug wire is marked and is located at 11 o'clock position as viewed from the left side of the engine.

15. Firing order is 1-2-4-3 counterclockwise rotation.

16. Timing is pre-set at 35 degrees. If a change is desired, loosen the center 7/16 in bolt. Loosen small allen set screws in drive pulley and rotate to desired timing position using a degree wheel to determine crankshaft position.

17. Retighten allen set screws (do not overtighten). This only holds pulley in place while timing magneto. Retighten large certer bolt.

18. Points should be set at 0.014-0.016 in. (0.36-0.40mm); plugs at 0.020 in. (0.51mm).

Hope this is of some use to you as it has taken me a full hour to type. ::)

Good luck, best regards Sam.
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline Jim F

• Master
  • go baby go
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 12:48:08 pm »
Thanks Sam for all the info about the ARD Mag. much appreciated
I did buy the ARD from Terry the oil cooler guy in Australia.
He had someone leave a comment as bidding was going on that you could find timing
instructions in an old clymer manual but I have 2 differant types and there isn't anything in mine
including the shop manual that I have also
thanks again Sam and everyone else
As soon as the project is complete ( is it ever) I will get some pics posted for all

Jim French
2002 RC51 1000 (SP2)
1983 GS1100EC Suzuki
1992 KTM500 2 stroke
1975 CB750/836 Honda
1978 GS750/840 Suzuki

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 01:46:46 pm »
Jim, the info I gave is for RC and Yoshi magnetos.
It came from the performance section of a 1977 Clymer workshop manuel.
Although it may not be quite the same I can't see it being to hard to figure.

Sam.
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline puppytrax

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 03:03:26 pm »
I owned an ARD mag for my 650 Triumph back in the 80's...I bought it from Neil Keen in St Louis, Neil may still carry them, if they're still in business..."Staracer" was the name of his products...

I had the ARD on for somewhere around 12 years; timed it exactly twice...the second time was like three years after the first; points were unworn, timing was dead on...I did replace the belt then, too...It didn't need it, but it wasn't very expensive, so I changed it and kept the original for a spare...

They are dependable and built like a brick craphouse...the points and belts were available locally through a bearing and auto parts warehouse...

The bike started on the 2nd kick almost every time...   ;D
...stock 1972 CB500 '500 Four' undergoing re-assembly...
...Stock 1972 CL450 'Scrambler' also being re-assembled...

Online Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2006, 02:51:58 am »
Thanks for the info Sammy, I was so morose at selling the magneto (well all that money Jim sent me softened the blow somewhat.............) so when Charlie told me about two ARD magneto's for sale here in Oz, I bid on them, and won.

These one's are different again, I think they have both a magneto and a distributor, but I think these instructions will go a long way toward making them work on my bikes, I'll post some pics when I get them! Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline 750goes

• Master
  • it will live
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2006, 03:10:50 am »
it's ok terry .......sob sob......but I reckon those new ones purchased will be bigger and better -they look like they are the ants pants, and when electrics are wired in ----wooo hooo.........put one on the race project ??

I also got a set of 4th oversize original honda rings for anyone interested (better post it on the right area)...get carried away typing and thinking or trying toooooo........i'm baiting rsnip... trying some burley at the moment...........

Offline Big Jay

• Expert
    • CBRzone
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2006, 08:16:47 pm »
Is this the one with the Fairbanks Morse head, or the CDI mag?

Jay

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2006, 01:45:02 am »

Jay

G'Day Big Jay, the one I sold Jim is the Fairbanks Morse head, (MK1?) and I believe the two I just bought (haven't received them yet) are the later (MK2?) CDI type, I know you're a "wizard" with these old bikes, do you have any info on either? Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Big Jay

• Expert
    • CBRzone
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2006, 06:00:22 pm »

Jay

G'Day Big Jay, the one I sold Jim is the Fairbanks Morse head, (MK1?) and I believe the two I just bought (haven't received them yet) are the later (MK2?) CDI type, I know you're a "wizard" with these old bikes, do you have any info on either? Cheers, Terry. ;D

I don't believe ARD is around anymore. Not sure if Al is even with us anymore. Was over 25 years ago that I last spoke with him.

The Fairbanks Morse version used a head from a Ford four cylinder tractor I believe. So parts should be available for them. I know that Joe Hunt used the FB heads also. His son is still running that company, so he may be a parts source.

The CDI unit was something Al did up himself, and I am not sure what he did for parts. I know we had some failures early on and we would send them back and Al would replace whatever it was that went out.

I visited his place a few times as I was an ARD distributer back then. He had facilities to manufacture small coils, etc, so some of that stuff, if he made it, may no longer be available.

Jay

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2006, 06:07:43 pm »
Hi Jay, how's the new place coming along, are all departments up and running ?

Is there a drag strip in the area ?

Sam.
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline Big Jay

• Expert
    • CBRzone
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2006, 10:20:29 pm »
In and operating. LA County Raceway is about 25 miles away, Bakersfield about 70. Willow Springs is right out the back door. Have you seen the photos on our website?

http://www.aperaceparts.com/move.html

Jay

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2006, 10:23:43 pm »
Yes I did see it when you posted the first time but you didn't return to the thread.
I commented,  it was a long move from the Caymen Islands ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2006, 11:27:11 pm »

Jay

I don't believe ARD is around anymore. Not sure if Al is even with us anymore. Was over 25 years ago that I last spoke with him.

The Fairbanks Morse version used a head from a Ford four cylinder tractor I believe. So parts should be available for them. I know that Joe Hunt used the FB heads also. His son is still running that company, so he may be a parts source.

The CDI unit was something Al did up himself, and I am not sure what he did for parts. I know we had some failures early on and we would send them back and Al would replace whatever it was that went out.

I visited his place a few times as I was an ARD distributer back then. He had facilities to manufacture small coils, etc, so some of that stuff, if he made it, may no longer be available.

Jay

Thanks Big Jay, I found a website for dirt track bikes where they're still selling new ARD magnetos for Yamaha 650 based racers and such, but I can't find an actual website for ARD.

I'm lucky that one of my staff is an ex-phone company tech and can just about fix or rebuild anything electronic, but as a "failsafe" I've got a couple of Fairbanks Morse 4 cylinder magneto's that I reckon I can adapt to the ARD housing, if necessary. Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline Big Jay

• Expert
    • CBRzone
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2006, 11:11:14 am »
Terry;
I did a search on the internet phone book and came up with this:

ARD Engineering
10628 Norwalk Blvd.
Santa Fe Springs Ca. 90670

Phone 562-941-5842

If Al is still there doing his thing, he must be in his 70s.

Jay

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2006, 12:04:35 pm »
Terry;

ARD Engineering
10628 Norwalk Blvd.

Phone 562-941-5842

Jay

Hey thanks mate! If I can't get 'em to work, I'll give them a call! Come to think of it, I need some new belts, so I'll give them a call anyway! Oh and I just bought one of your CB750 heavy duty stud kits (the guy I bought them from had to wait until you re-opened after the move) and they look brilliant! Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline Big Jay

• Expert
    • CBRzone
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2006, 05:30:22 pm »
When you call, find out if it is still Al doing it, and post it here.

Jay

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2006, 05:53:11 pm »
 Terry, I heard Dyna has just made a batch of 2000's for the SOHC. They don't look as period but they sure work well. ;)
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2006, 12:00:20 am »
Terry, I heard Dyna has just made a batch of 2000's for the SOHC. They don't look as period but they sure work well. ;)

Get thee behind me Satan! Ha ha, yeah, I DO want a Dyna 2000 ignition Mike, but I'll need to sell some more coolers first, or get one of you guys to send me a machine gun so I can make a little extra money to finance my projects, ha ha! Cheers, Terry. ;D 

Offline Jim F

• Master
  • go baby go
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2006, 11:54:22 am »
Yes I did see it when you posted the first time but you didn't return to the thread.
I commented,  it was a long move from the Caymen Islands ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sam. ;)
well there is a resone for being a newbie SAM.........lol sorry about that. I am still felling my way around the site
Jim
2002 RC51 1000 (SP2)
1983 GS1100EC Suzuki
1992 KTM500 2 stroke
1975 CB750/836 Honda
1978 GS750/840 Suzuki

Offline Jim F

• Master
  • go baby go
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2006, 12:10:34 pm »
Terry;

ARD Engineering
10628 Norwalk Blvd.

Phone 562-941-5842

Jay
Hi Big Jay
Just called ARD and they are still around and can get parts (although they are expensive) but the housings covers belts an pulleys can be perchased so good news to all that have the ARD systems (like me)
Jim
2002 RC51 1000 (SP2)
1983 GS1100EC Suzuki
1992 KTM500 2 stroke
1975 CB750/836 Honda
1978 GS750/840 Suzuki

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2006, 10:36:11 pm »
G'Day Jim, can you order me a couple of belts for a MK2 (electronic) ARD CB750 Magneto for me mate? I know they don't have a website, so I can't order online, but I can paypal you, if that's ok? Cheers, Terry. ;D