Author Topic: cb350f rings in oil pan  (Read 702 times)

Offline monsterbuck2006

• www.sohc4.net
cb350f rings in oil pan
« on: July 23, 2015, 03:32:31 pm »
So after cleaning the oil pan I found part of a ring.  This is a $100 dollar bike that I am in the process of restoring.  My biggest question is since I now have to do a top end at the minimum can I put std 400f pistons in this with having to do a lot of boring.  Just rehoning the cyclinders and new 400f pistons on the 350f rods and new wrist pins?

Offline Powderman

• Master
    • Creative Candy Powder Coating
Re: cb350f rings in oil pan
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 03:40:44 pm »
No, you can't hone 4mm. Your cylinders need to be bored to fit a 400 piston. You will be at the limit for overbore on the 350 cylinder. You can fit 400 sleeves to the 350 cylinder head and then bore for a 466 kit.
I imagine that once you pull the top end you may find the cylinder wall beyond honing if that ring  floated out of its bore more than few RPM.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 03:43:04 pm by Powderman »

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 05:39:48 pm »
Are you sure what you found is part of a piston ring?...much more likely to be part of a transmission gear/bearing retainer
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline monsterbuck2006

• www.sohc4.net
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 07:39:43 pm »
I am not 100% that it is a piston ring.  Before I disassembled the bike to a pile of parts to clean and paint, I was able to ensure it does run by rebuilding the carbs, new plugs, wire caps. etc.... There wasn't any strange noises that I noticed.  No real noticeable white or blue smoke from the exhaust.  And it did have over 100# compression on all cylinders.  The piece may very well may be from some other part of the engine...the trans area.   I guess now I have to decide whether or not to leave alone and just build it and hope form the best.  I am open to all advice on this one.  Just to let you know I m not new to building or restoring just this is the first Honda cb.  Thanks for all the help in advance.

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 07:46:58 pm »
can you post up a good close-up of the piece?  Might help with feedback...Larry

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 07:52:21 pm »
The usual cause of broken parts of piston rings in the pan is they fell in there when the PO re-ringed the motor. If the compression is good, run it. Don't fix it if it ain't broke. ;)
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....