Author Topic: Tapered Steering Bearings Thread  (Read 189795 times)

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
Re: neck/tapered bearings question
« Reply #325 on: December 01, 2008, 12:51:37 am »
Once you break the seal/paint that holds the bottom one on it should move pretty freely up the shaft, I think mine snapped which was even better ha ha.
Use a thin chisel or old screwdriver and tap tap tap until it moves. ;D
The top race will just pop out if you lever it from the side with a large screwdriver, or if that freaks you just put a long bit of pipe/old screwdriver up from the bottom and it will tap out easy as.
Don't forget to tap the bottom inner out too as this makes all the above possible, again long weapon and tap from the top down.
Remember to keep the bits including the bearings as you will need to perform a measurement to see if you require to use one of the shims supplied by All Ballz....have fun. ;D
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline steve74

• Love Old Hondas!
    • My car and bike pics
« Reply #326 on: December 01, 2008, 02:43:28 am »
Just did mine a few days ago.

The bottom one is difficult but I used a blow torch (cooks one!) to ease it off! Still took a pounding with a hammer and chisel!

Works a treat now!

My CB750 Restoration on Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/justhype/

My own car and bike photo site - http://justhypemedia.com

Very passionate about old Honda bikes :)

Offline egar

• Hot Shot
« Reply #327 on: December 01, 2008, 06:31:50 am »
Thanks for the help! By the way, if you are wondering why the frame of the bike is white, a buddy of mine who runs a commercial/industrial painting company sandblasted the frame and swingarm and then used some seriously nasty epoxy primer that he had lying around. I'm on my own as far as figuring out what kind of black paint to put on as a final coat. He recommended an epoxy based paint.
sohc4

'04 ST1300, '70 cb750KO

Offline UnCrash

• Pass
  • Master
    • My Blog
« Reply #328 on: December 01, 2008, 06:35:29 am »
I used a Dremel to cut radial slices into mine then it tapped out easily.
You can't make too much popcorn, but you can definately eat too much popcorn.

Offline crazypj

• I'm brill, me
  • Old Timer
  • first 100,000 miles. 1977 CB550F
« Reply #329 on: December 01, 2008, 07:32:58 am »
Taper bearing is also about 5mm~6mm higher than the ball bearing set up. (stack height)
 Its normal, don't be surprised when headlight 'ears' are loose.
 I made some alloy spacers, these are 6.25mm.
PJ
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 07:36:47 am by crazypj »
I fake being smart pretty good
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

Offline egar

• Hot Shot
« Reply #330 on: December 01, 2008, 08:10:41 am »
thank, pj. Good to know!
sohc4

'04 ST1300, '70 cb750KO

Offline 78CB750CAFE

• I'm not really an
  • Expert
  • Ride, wrench, repeat.
    • Drewfus Nation, my podcast, bicycle collection, blog etc
« Reply #331 on: December 01, 2008, 09:45:14 am »
any decent bicycle shop will have those Park Tools shown above, and will remove your crown races for around 10-20 $, and may be willing to loan out the cup removal tool if you can't drag in your frame. I do it all the time for my customers that ride M/C's as well as bicycles.
"I believe in the bodies, I believe in the blood, I believe in salt around the rim of the glass because it makes us thirsty, and when we drink, then we all fall in love"
-212 Margarita by The Hold Steady
Build thread:http://forums.sohc

Offline chrislib

• Hot Shot
« Reply #332 on: December 01, 2008, 10:18:25 am »
I used a Dremel to cut radial slices into mine then it tapped out easily.
X2, worked like a charm
Chris...closet Idlefiddler
1973 CB750K...CANDY BACCHUS OLIVE

Offline egar

• Hot Shot
« Reply #333 on: December 01, 2008, 03:43:24 pm »
You may not believe it, but on my lunch break I tapped off the lower race with a rubber mallet and chisel in under five minutes. Slipped right off!
sohc4

'04 ST1300, '70 cb750KO

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
« Reply #334 on: December 01, 2008, 05:18:34 pm »
Told ya ;D
I was going to ask about the white frame as my CB650PZ has a white frame and I wondered if yours was a retired cop bike like mine. :)
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline egar

• Hot Shot
« Reply #335 on: December 02, 2008, 05:01:00 pm »
Naw, the white paint was what my buddy had lying around for a primer. I'm debating whether to shoot the paint with my neighbor's gun and compressor or just buy the Eastwood frame paint.
sohc4

'04 ST1300, '70 cb750KO

Offline Jakoba

• I'm far from a CB750
  • Hot Shot
Re: ALL BALLZ tapered steering bearings for non experts.(HELP PLEASE)
« Reply #336 on: December 17, 2008, 09:50:56 am »
Hush that was awesome....just finished this process last night on my 78 750K. I would have been lost without thos pics. Good on ya.  ;D ;D

My only question now is ...how tight do I tighten this nut ? ???

Thanks

Jako
Jako
Member #4500
--------------
"See the ditch, see the ditch, in the ditch"

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: ALL BALLZ tapered steering bearings for non experts.
« Reply #337 on: December 17, 2008, 12:28:06 pm »
I just did this, not too bad.  This write up helped a lot.  Great work on this thread.

I just found and read kirkn's post that is similar to this one.  I am seeing one difference and wondering if it matters.  kirkn (Nice thread as well) appears to have put the shim below the bottom bearing and you show that you put it above the lower race.

If it actually does not make a difference to the location, as long as it is at the bottom, I can see where the spacer being put above the lower race is a benefit.  If you somehow goofed on what spacer to use, it is much easier to switch out that taking the chance of ruining the lower bearing trying to get them out.

Oh, I can't find an upper seal in what I got from AllBalls.

So, what are y'alls thoughts on the spacers location?
im scratchin my head on this one too.
mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline Really?

• I've come to the conclusion that I AM a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #338 on: December 17, 2008, 12:49:19 pm »
In what way duster?
I don't have a motorcycle, sold it ('85 Yamaha Venture Royale).  Haven't had a CB750 for over 40 years.

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3

Offline Bouncer

• "Bear Down"
  • Enthusiast
Re: ALL BALLZ tapered steering bearings for non experts.(HELP PLEASE)
« Reply #339 on: December 17, 2008, 03:19:18 pm »
Hush that was awesome....just finished this process last night on my 78 750K. I would have been lost without thos pics. Good on ya.  ;D ;D

My only question now is ...how tight do I tighten this nut ? ???

Thanks

Jako

From what I understand, that does not get used.
New to the game.

1981 CB650C (Finished) Rat Bike

1978 CB750F Project "Bear Down"

Offline 736cc

• Master
« Reply #340 on: December 17, 2008, 03:39:35 pm »
My only question now is ...how tight do I tighten this nut ?

use Honda toolkit shock tool

Offline bunghole

• Hot Shot
« Reply #341 on: December 17, 2008, 03:47:26 pm »
Excellent!

Thanks!
'05 HD FLSTCI (Heritage)
'06 Suzuki DRZ400S
'08 Honda VFR800
'77 Honda CB750K

Markcb750

« Reply #342 on: December 17, 2008, 04:50:42 pm »
It is hard to hurt Tapered Roller Bearings in a low speed application like this.  Make it tight.

Hard for anyone to measure torque on the bearing lock nut, a better way to do it is to measure the turning torque of the triple clamp.  A common fish scale pulled tangentially to the radius at the fork mounting bores (clamps) should show a significant increase in torque as the nut first brings the roller bearings into contact with the races, then a slow increase as the nut is tightened and the bearing pre-load is increased. 

(We checked high speed spindles this way to insure the pre-loads where within a narrow range.)

Make sure the bearing grease is worked by rotating the triple clamp lock to lock dozens of times as the bearing lock nut is tightened.

If you tighten and loosen the nut a few times as you rotate the triple clamp back and forth you should be able to feel the increase in torque as the bearings seat against their races, then feel the increase in torque as you tighten the nut past this contact point.

I set mine by "feel", IMHO unless you put a big cheater bar on the shock adjusting wrench, you would be hard pressed to make the bearing lock nut tight enough to make them fail, or the steering too stiff... Much more important you insure the bearings are in a pre-loaded (zero looseness) condition.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 05:03:46 pm by Markcb750 »

Offline Jakoba

• I'm far from a CB750
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #343 on: December 17, 2008, 04:58:13 pm »
736cc -  the shock tool fit perfect. thanks  ;)

Bouncer - That's what I thought at first but upon closer view of his hush's last pic you could clearly see that the steering stem nut is in fact there :-\ :-\.

Hush - could you please clarify exactly what part you did not place back in your rebuild?

Thanks

Jako
Jako
Member #4500
--------------
"See the ditch, see the ditch, in the ditch"

crystalhelix

« Reply #344 on: January 26, 2009, 06:59:52 pm »
good write up!

cheers!

Offline Burnboy

• Hot Shot
problems with tapered bearings kit
« Reply #345 on: February 27, 2009, 02:02:55 pm »
After following the tutorials on this site Ive come to a standstill on my bearing install. I got all the hard parts completed, races are installed and lower bearing is on the steering stem. But when trying to install everything the lower bearing wont fully mate with the race thats in the neck. Ive tried beating the lower tripple tree with a hammer to no avail. Any suggestions? the only think I can think of is heating the lower race and neck but this would surely ruin the paint. The race installed is the correct one I tripple checked that.
1975 CB750
1973 CB350F

Offline Burnboy

• Hot Shot
Re: problems with tapered bearings kit
« Reply #346 on: February 27, 2009, 02:05:06 pm »
its a 75 750 by the way
1975 CB750
1973 CB350F

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #347 on: February 27, 2009, 03:36:56 pm »
its a 75 750 by the way
I don't have any suggestion, but where did you get the bearing set. That may help others.

I've done 3 or 4 in my life and they all went together without a hitch. A little fumbling with which spacer washer to use.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline beta1042

• '76 CB750F
« Reply #348 on: February 27, 2009, 05:33:53 pm »
Sorry, my response isn't an answer, but I do have a set from Parts Plus (P/N SSH750) sitting on my lap that I was planning on installing this weekend.  I've never removed or installed them before so just trying to stay on top of any tips that I may need.

'76 CB750F

Offline Really?

• I've come to the conclusion that I AM a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #349 on: February 27, 2009, 05:36:41 pm »
I am just going by what I think I see in the pic.  Did you completely remove the lower race in the lower triple?  It looks awful old and beat up down there.

Just went and grabbed a cell phone pic with a flashlight, it was a bit dark under there, and attached it.  It is the one I did on the k5.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 05:47:20 pm by GigaWhiskey »
I don't have a motorcycle, sold it ('85 Yamaha Venture Royale).  Haven't had a CB750 for over 40 years.

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3