Author Topic: Tapered Steering Bearings Thread  (Read 189801 times)

jsaab2748

Re: problems with tapered bearings kit
« Reply #375 on: February 28, 2009, 06:17:23 pm »
hmmm how hard is it gonna be to seperate the 2?

Use the longest punch you can get and carefully drive the old race out, tapping all round the edges alternately. If you are hitting the OLD race, it should push the new one out without damage I'd think. Just be careful.

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #376 on: February 28, 2009, 06:19:06 pm »
hmmm how hard is it gonna be to seperate the 2?

Use the longest punch you can get and carefully drive the old race out, tapping all round the edges alternately. If you are hitting the OLD race, it should push the new one out without damage I'd think. Just be careful.
Yup
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
« Reply #377 on: February 28, 2009, 06:30:49 pm »
That he had left the old top race in the lower part of the steering neck was my guess. ;D
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline stresssolutions

• 4 years on a motorcycle, Time Flies!
  • Enthusiast
  • 03 RoadStar, I miss my Honda
    • bloggy thoughts
Re: tapered steering head bearings
« Reply #378 on: March 02, 2009, 06:43:54 pm »
Does this operation take a special wrench/spanner to remove and install part of it?  My Clymers shows (sort of) a special wrench from the tool kit. (which is missing).  Can someone elaborate? thanks
Enjoying life, one day at a time.

Offline johnyvilla

• Hot Shot
Good tapered steering head thread?
« Reply #379 on: March 03, 2009, 08:49:12 pm »
Hey guys. I have been searching old posts for a great tutorial on installing steering head bearings (I saw a while back), but cannot find it. Can someone throw a link out?

Thanks

Offline mark

• finds nothing amusing about being an
  • Old Timer
  • we're out here and this is where we are.
Re: Good tapered steering head thread?
« Reply #380 on: March 03, 2009, 09:33:10 pm »
1976 CB550K, 1973 CB350G, 1964 C100

F you mark...... F you.

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Good tapered steering head thread?
« Reply #381 on: March 03, 2009, 11:21:16 pm »
If you get stuck just holler... ;D
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline stresssolutions

• Enthusiast
    • bloggy thoughts
« Reply #382 on: March 04, 2009, 07:15:14 pm »
Seriously.  Do you make a tool, is a tool available?  I've got it disassembled to this point, and looks like it won't be too hard to make a tool, but........how strong does it have to be?

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #383 on: March 04, 2009, 07:22:32 pm »
Take a piece of aluminum & tap it. If you deform the slot, you hit too hard.

barely tighter than you can get with your hands..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline stresssolutions

• Enthusiast
    • bloggy thoughts
« Reply #384 on: March 04, 2009, 07:25:07 pm »
Thank you.  Made a tool tonight, out of a ceiling fan blade bracket.  squeezed it in a vise to get the legs close enough, and ground it down to make prongs for the nut's notches.  Could have simply used a channellock pliers on it. 
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 07:15:48 pm by stresssolutions »

Offline johnyvilla

• Hot Shot
tapered steering head bearing install question
« Reply #385 on: March 05, 2009, 07:27:50 pm »
I am installing a z1 steering head bearing on my 750k. I measured the height of the old and new stacks, and could see (hope) that the one spacer provided should make up for the discrepancy. I cannot find a thread that clearly states where this spacer should go- most refer to the allballz variety, which seem to have more parts. I assume the spacer goes between the bottom race and the steering head, but the diameters seem incorrect.
Any help?

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
Re: tapered steering head bearing install question
« Reply #386 on: March 05, 2009, 08:11:23 pm »
What's a Z1 steering head bearing?  ???
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline johnyvilla

• Hot Shot
« Reply #387 on: March 05, 2009, 08:55:31 pm »
A Z1 Enterprise purchased bearing. I figured it out. Freezer-oven 15 min install.

Nice action.

Offline joeb

• Hot Shot
« Reply #388 on: March 06, 2009, 07:03:42 am »
More than likiley all balls tapered bearings.  8)

Offline stresssolutions

• Enthusiast
    • bloggy thoughts
« Reply #389 on: March 08, 2009, 07:08:30 am »
Completed this task, not too bad of a job, really.  Since the original seal didn't survive disassembly, I bought a different style and used it in addition to the thin metal washer from the orig seal.

Offline johnyvilla

• Hot Shot
« Reply #390 on: March 08, 2009, 03:13:51 pm »
I installed a z1 purchased kit the other day, and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Had to whack the hell out of the old races to get them to move- but that was the worst of it. I put the 3tree in the freezer and bearings in the oven for a half hour before they met. The bearings slid right on with some help from a small PVC tube and rubber mallet. If I would have to do it again, I would go with the allballs kit next time. The no-name z1 set looked a little cheaper in comparisen, and didn't come with the seals of the ball-brand.

Offline Flying J

• Old Timer
pyramid tapered bearing install problem
« Reply #391 on: April 19, 2009, 03:51:56 pm »
I was cheap and bought the pyramid bearings off ebay. They do not come with spacers. I measured the bottom stack. The stock bearings were 18mm and the pyramids were 14mm. So i need 4mm of spacer and that is just the bottom one so far. Anybody have some spacers from their all balls kit or know where i can get some. Anybody in the future buy the all ballz. dont waste your time like me.

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
Re: pyramid tapered bearing install problem
« Reply #392 on: April 19, 2009, 03:59:30 pm »
If you're good with a grinder you could take the flanges off the stock race and use it as a spacer.  Was thinking of this yesterday when I was mucking about in the garage.

The All Balls kit includes a new dust seal, too.

mystic_1
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
- John Augustus Shedd

My build thread:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68952.0

Offline Flying J

• Old Timer
« Reply #393 on: April 19, 2009, 04:28:07 pm »

The All Balls kit includes a new dust seal, too.

mystic_1
Thanks for rubbing in my mistake.  :P still need some spacers. I might try the grinder.

Offline Frankencake

• Yesssssss,
  • Master
  • "I like the old junk"
« Reply #394 on: April 19, 2009, 05:30:27 pm »
Wait, what?  I pressed my 750f lower bearings on today and now I need a spacer?  These kits don't have directions with them, do they?  I didn't read up on the install here, did I?  I went ahead and did it my own "tear through the job with a vengeance" style, didn't I?  I have to get that f***er off without destroying the seal, do I now? 
I just woke up from a sunday afternoon nap and boy am I pissed.
"Sure, if you don't want that bike in your backyard, I guess I'll take it."  "I'll probably just scrap it......"

Frankencake:  Brotherhood of the unemployed?  What's our secret handshake?

333:  Think "Shakeweight".

Offline Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #395 on: April 19, 2009, 06:17:57 pm »
I'm wondering if you could just take your original ball bearing races from the steering head, flip them over and use them as spacers in the head bores before you press in your tapered roller races.  That way you wouldn't have to fab or buy anything else, may have dig through the trash some though to find them....

Maybe just the bottom one would be sufficient?

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #396 on: April 19, 2009, 06:47:16 pm »
Good though Alan, hey Ffjmoore have you got that old stack right?
Just looks like the top race should be flipped over, you will know having removed it but can you check it just for my curiosity.

Offline Frankencake

• Yesssssss,
  • Master
  • "I like the old junk"
« Reply #397 on: April 19, 2009, 07:06:12 pm »
I was cheap and bought the pyramid bearings off ebay. They do not come with spacers. I measured the bottom stack. The stock bearings were 18mm and the pyramids were 14mm. So i need 4mm of spacer and that is just the bottom one so far. Anybody have some spacers from their all balls kit or know where i can get some. Anybody in the future buy the all ballz. dont waste your time like me.

Now that I have my lower bearing in place and i may have to cob a spacer on the top side of the race, I may have a spacer to mail to you.  How much time do you have before you need it?  It may be a week before i can effectively declare it useless to me.  I am sourcing some dry ice to try to remove my lower bearing but if that fails I will not need my lower spacer.  It is about 5mm thick.  Let me know if you can wait.--------ss
"Sure, if you don't want that bike in your backyard, I guess I'll take it."  "I'll probably just scrap it......"

Frankencake:  Brotherhood of the unemployed?  What's our secret handshake?

333:  Think "Shakeweight".

Offline Flying J

• Old Timer
« Reply #398 on: April 19, 2009, 10:41:58 pm »
Im in no hurry. The bike is hanging from the rafters for paint. is it a spacer or a race your talking about. I have the old race but a spacer i will take for sure.
Thanks

Offline Flying J

• Old Timer
« Reply #399 on: April 19, 2009, 11:01:32 pm »
Hush i measured the race and its 8mm thick. I dont think that it and the new one would fit in the top but there looks like plenty of room in the lower one. Im not quite sure how that would work. This is my first time doing the bearings so im not going to get crazy. Maybe on the next go around when i know what im doing.