Author Topic: Minimalist Vintage Cafe Racer Project - 1978 CB550k  (Read 6682 times)

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
Re: Minimalist Vintage Cafe Racer Project - 1978 CB550k
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2015, 12:25:28 pm »
Its preferred by the powder coater as these pieces leech grease during the heating cycle. Its not required, but I always do.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2015, 03:14:03 pm »
Thanks for the tips guys!

A question for anyone with powder coating experience:

Do I need to remove the races from the steering column and the bearings from the swingarm in order to get them powder coated?

Yes, A reputable powder coater wouldn't touch the parts unless the greasy bearings were removed, all sources of contamination should be dealt with properly before coating..
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline MacaveliMC

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2015, 03:16:09 pm »
So the bearings are all out, only thing that is left are the inner races on both sides. If I have to remove those, any tips? I read something in the manual about a special tool.

Offline Zaipai

• I am getting closer to being an
  • Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2015, 05:59:06 pm »
The project is moving nicely.

.: Scott :.
Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline MacaveliMC

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2015, 06:08:47 pm »
The project is moving nicely.

Thanks! About to start taking the top end of the motor apart, cleaning, and prepping for paint.  Also hoping to strip and paint the gas tank soon as well! Pretty excited, a lot to learn.

Offline rusty_tank

• Enthusiast
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2015, 12:03:46 am »
Yo dude! So glad to see your project coming together...errr...apart? You know what I mean :D

Tell me about that engine mount? Is that off an the shelf and you tweeked it a bit?

Offline MacaveliMC

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2015, 08:55:38 am »
Yo dude! So glad to see your project coming together...errr...apart? You know what I mean :D

Tell me about that engine mount? Is that off an the shelf and you tweeked it a bit?

Engine mount? oh you mean how I adapted the engine stand to work with a motorcycle engine?? :)

I saw another feller did it for his engine, and he was kind enough to supply me with this link to the original: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,138030.0.html

The original used angle iron, cutting it to size and drilling holes. I just bought thick L brackets from home depot with holes already in them  ;D no drilling or cutting required in this adaption! Just buy your hardware and bolt together! More time to cut, drill, re-cut, and re-drill your actual project!  ???

Offline rusty_tank

• Enthusiast
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2015, 12:17:18 pm »
Engine mount, engine stand...I don't know ::)
Thanks for the link and the info man :)

Offline MacaveliMC

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2015, 11:47:28 am »
Update!!!

Started taking the engine apart, and already running into some problems :(

The bolts heads are starting to strip! :( even with these JIS bits, I can't get some of them to break clean.....

One if them I used my clamp and clamped the socket wrench down hard on it, and managed to turn it and break it free, but I tried the same thing on the bolt in the last picture, and it just destroyed it.....any ideas??

Offline FunJimmy

• Who you calling
  • Old Timer
  • Vancouver
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2015, 12:36:10 pm »
The bolts heads are starting to strip! :( even with these JIS bits, I can't get some of them to break clean.....

One if them I used my clamp and clamped the socket wrench down hard on it, and managed to turn it and break it free, but I tried the same thing on the bolt in the last picture, and it just destroyed it.....any ideas??

I usually tap them gently with a small hammer.
If they start to strip, stop. Do not allow the head to strip to the degree show in your photos.
Get a 3/8" extension and hammer (firmly) the now flared JIS head flat.
Insert the correct JIS bit and gently tap to seat it fully before trying again. 
Repeat as necessary. Some of those are so far gone that you might have to drill the heads off.
See if you can get Vise-Grips on them and free them up. Good luck.
You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office!

CB550 Cafe Interceptor a Gentlemans Roadster
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=27159.0

Offline MacaveliMC

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2015, 01:36:23 pm »

I usually tap them gently with a small hammer.
If they start to strip, stop. Do not allow the head to strip to the degree show in your photos.
Get a 3/8" extension and hammer (firmly) the now flared JIS head flat.
Insert the correct JIS bit and gently tap to seat it fully before trying again. 
Repeat as necessary. Some of those are so far gone that you might have to drill the heads off.
See if you can get Vise-Grips on them and free them up. Good luck.

Hmmm, ok I'll give it a try.  But if they won't budge, I have a feeling I'll be using screw extractors....which I'm OK with, since I'll be replacing all these bolts anyway.

Offline Zaipai

• Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2015, 01:42:02 pm »
Hmmm, ok I'll give it a try.  But if they won't budge, I have a feeling I'll be using screw extractors....which I'm OK with, since I'll be replacing all these bolts anyway.

Good luck man, I will be watching as I have to do this same thing this winter. :)

Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2015, 05:33:04 pm »
Don't use screw extractors. Either drill the center with a bit or use left hand drill bits. Extractors tend to shear, and then you are Royally screwed!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline MacaveliMC

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2015, 05:34:54 pm »
So I have left handed drill bits....but what happens if I get all the way through and it hasn't broken free?

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2015, 05:37:04 pm »
Buy a lottery ticket. You'll be the first to achieve that. Those stock screws are 6mm and very soft.

Offline MacaveliMC

« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2015, 05:38:43 pm »
Haha ok, I'll give it a try, thanks!!!

Offline FunJimmy

• Who you calling
  • Old Timer
  • Vancouver
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2015, 06:22:03 pm »
Just drill the heads off the screwed fasteners.
You'll be able to get Vise-Grips on the protruding screw once the cover is removed. Piece of cake!

Offline MacaveliMC

« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2015, 07:58:00 pm »
Just drill the heads off the screwed fasteners.
You'll be able to get Vise-Grips on the protruding screw once the cover is removed. Piece of cake!

How do I do that without damaging the head cover?

Offline FunJimmy

• Who you calling
  • Old Timer
  • Vancouver
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2015, 10:07:48 pm »
How do I do that without damaging the head cover?

6mm or 1/4" drill straight down the centre.
You only have to drill about 5mm before the head will spin off with the drill bit.
That leaves a bit of screw shaft to get the Vise-Grips locked on.
Go slow. It's not difficult.

Offline Zaipai

• Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2015, 08:49:25 am »

6mm or 1/4" drill straight down the centre.
You only have to drill about 5mm before the head will spin off with the drill bit.
That leaves a bit of screw shaft to get the Vise-Grips locked on.
Go slow. It's not difficult.

I actually did that exact thing on my CB750 and it worked like a charm!

Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline MacaveliMC

« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2016, 07:49:08 am »
Well I apologize for not giving any updates for a while, but you know, the holidays and such...what do u not think I have other things to do?? Family to see?! Friends!?

I won't answer any of those :)

Anyway, so I DID get the head cover off - I ended up drilling just like what was suggested! 4 or 5 bolts I can't remember, only nicked the head cover on a few of them, but all in all not bad! Then next off came the head, and then the block! And then each individual piston was removed.  Quite a bit of build up on the piston heads themselves, but the cylinder walls looked great!

Last night I soaked the head, breather cover, and engine block in a bucket of pro strength simple green mixed 1:3 with water (highest concentration recommended), and it cleaned up the head cover and breather cover brilliantly.  They're pretty much ready to tape off and paint now! (or I might attempt to make the breather cover shine, we'll see...)

The block however, seemed to take a bit more soaking.  The paint was starting to come off with my brass brush, but I wanted it to sit more than the 3 or so hours the other parts did.  Plus the gasket would't budge.  I'm guessing I'll be using gasket remover with that, and a plastic putty knife, but I refuse to use a blade like so many people suggest on forums.  If I mess up, I know which metal will lose, and I'd rather just take my time and get it off without that risk.

Sorry no pictures, I'll get some up soon!

Oh also next step: figure out how to get these valves and springs out of the head so I can soak that next!

Offline MacaveliMC

« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2016, 04:05:02 pm »
Well, currently trying to remove gasket material from the bottom of my block......so frustrating.  I absolutely refuse to use something that could scratch the aluminum, I'm shocked how many people actually recommend using a razor blade.  But so far I've soaked the thing in Permatex and all but destroyed my plastic scrapper, and the thing will barely budge....I'm thinking about either just giving my block and head to a shop and just having them remove the gaskets and re-finish the surfaces anyway, or maybe trying to aircraft stripper.....any thoughts?

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2016, 05:12:25 pm »
 If you take it o shop, they will use a razor blade... Box cutter type knife works even better..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2016, 05:16:18 pm »
Well, currently trying to remove gasket material from the bottom of my block......so frustrating.  I absolutely refuse to use something that could scratch the aluminum, I'm shocked how many people actually recommend using a razor blade.  But so far I've soaked the thing in Permatex and all but destroyed my plastic scrapper, and the thing will barely budge....I'm thinking about either just giving my block and head to a shop and just having them remove the gaskets and re-finish the surfaces anyway, or maybe trying to aircraft stripper.....any thoughts?

If you trust yourself, use a nice sharp metal scraper, they work well, and if used PROPERLY won't scratch a thing, A single sided razor blade works too, once again, used properly. The only thing that will scratch the aluminum is yourself..... ;D ;)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline MacaveliMC

« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2016, 05:17:30 pm »
Hahaha exactly, that's the problem.  Trusting myself.  If the shop scratches it, they know they're now liable.  If I scratch it, I just look like an idiot  :o

I'm gonna try this permatex scraper I just got, but......can anyone tell me, is this a really bad idea?