Author Topic: 1204cc - 120rwhp track bike by RPE in Oz  (Read 8286 times)

Offline hotdog

• Hot Shot
Re: 1204cc - 120rwhp track bike by RPE in Oz
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2015, 04:01:37 am »
That's why I can get a minimum of a hundred race hours out of them George. ;)
Check out the torque curve.
HP's one thing but you've got to be able to race 'em.

Cheers,
Brian
Brian, you need to share your secrets...

Sent from my HTC_M9u using Tapatalk

Instagram - LUMPY CAM MOTORCYCLES
FB - LUMPY CAM Motorcycles

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2015, 04:02:22 am »
Very impressive.  I can think of a few sohc guys running on the road course that try not to let the revs get much BELOW your max.  Your torque curve is serious business.  Clearly not what the lightweight racer would want, but for a chair hauling around +/- double the weight around the course, that makes perfect sense.

The chairs are my favorite to watch at the races, and once asked my wife if she would be "my monkey"  ...it quickly became clear that I should have explained what I meant by "monkey"  LOL ;D.

George

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2015, 05:02:21 am »
Thats an awesone dyno chart Brian, I imagine having a SOHC engine producing peak power at just under 8000 revs, it would allow a fair amount of reliability to be built into them... I'd love to know what cam they are running..
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline bear

• Vale Bill McIntosh ......"illegitimi non carborundum"
  • Old Timer
  • Leeton in Australia
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2015, 04:07:20 pm »
That motor was running an Ivan Tighe cam at the time.
It's sitting in a box along a few of it's mates waiting patiently for me to send them off to his son to get refurbished.
Lobe wear comes into play after a season or two.
Can't tell you the spec's off the top of my head, but I try and run as much lift and as little overlap as I can.

That motor and the one I sold a few months ago now run Megacycle 125/75 cams with about 5deg extra advace to bring the toque & HP curve down the rev range a bit.

Cheers,
Brian
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 04:08:55 pm by bear »
The older I get the faster I was.

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2015, 05:53:50 pm »
It's sitting in a box along a few of it's mates waiting patiently for me to send them off to his son to get refurbished.

Cheers,
Brian

Bear,

Could you tell me more regarding getting your cams "refurbished"?  I am interested as I have a vintage cam that has an imperfect cam lobe.  It's very minor, but just enough that you can feel the spot.  I have no experience with having cams repaired.  I'm curious about the hard face surfaces and how that plays into the repairs.

Thanks,

George

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2015, 06:30:48 pm »
Can't tell you the spec's off the top of my head, but I try and run as much lift and as little overlap as I can.

That motor and the one I sold a few months ago now run Megacycle 125/75 cams with about 5deg extra advace to bring the toque & HP curve down the rev range a bit.

Cheers,
Brian

Sorry Brian, I should have been more specific, I meant the engine in the video mate, it produces peak HP at under 8 grand, I was interested in what cam profiles they run... ;)  Looks like I confused your dyno chart for RPE's...  ;)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline bear

• Vale Bill McIntosh ......"illegitimi non carborundum"
  • Old Timer
  • Leeton in Australia
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2015, 10:23:29 pm »

Cheers,
Brian

Bear,

Could you tell me more regarding getting your cams "refurbished"?  I am interested as I have a vintage cam that has an imperfect cam lobe.  It's very minor, but just enough that you can feel the spot.  I have no experience with having cams repaired.  I'm curious about the hard face surfaces and how that plays into the repairs.

Thanks,

George

They basically use the same process to repair them as they do to modify them George.
They build up the hard facing by welding, then regrind them to replace the profile.

Cheers,
Brian
The older I get the faster I was.

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2015, 01:20:18 pm »
if you use a stellite rod , the Finish is harder than the origional cam .  works very well on cam followers as well

nice dyno graph bear .

Offline whiteryno111

• RPE Engines
« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2015, 03:57:50 am »
That 1204cc engine is at 130whp last time we checked on our DynoDynamics.

And what's more impressive is the torque of practically a car engine (fair bit more than a Ducati Panigale) which makes it a real handful for Corey Forde.

The cast inserts in the block work extremely well, we do not have cnc machines, but we have "human cnc machines" in the form of Hugh Robinson.

We also have a spare engine 1300cc stroked.

In the making is a 1300cc standard stroke engine with the best combination of the biggest cam we can get with the biggest head ports/valve sizes/revised chamber shape.

Next race is at the end of january in philip island and we are hoping to beat those nasty xr69's hehe!

Merry xmas to you all!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 04:12:50 am by whiteryno111 »

Offline chewbacca5000

• I polish covers!
  • Old Timer
« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2015, 05:08:28 am »
Epic!  Maybe santa will drop off a 1300cc monster and place it under my tree.  O joy!

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2016, 05:01:33 pm »
That 1204cc engine is at 130whp last time we checked on our DynoDynamics.

And what's more impressive is the torque of practically a car engine (fair bit more than a Ducati Panigale) which makes it a real handful for Corey Forde.

The cast inserts in the block work extremely well, we do not have cnc machines, but we have "human cnc machines" in the form of Hugh Robinson.

We also have a spare engine 1300cc stroked.

In the making is a 1300cc standard stroke engine with the best combination of the biggest cam we can get with the biggest head ports/valve sizes/revised chamber shape.

Next race is at the end of january in philip island and we are hoping to beat those nasty xr69's hehe!

Merry xmas to you all!

Love it... ;D
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc