Author Topic: CB550F0 ignition switch repair  (Read 720 times)

Offline bistromath

• Hot Shot
CB550F0 ignition switch repair
« on: June 14, 2016, 01:01:11 pm »
Hi guys!

My old ignition switch has a busted housing, so like anyone else I bought one of the Emgo switch repair kits. It looks like this:

Problem is, my CB550F0's switch doesn't look like this. Instead, it looks like this:

The connector is the same 5-pin thing between both, but the Emgo replacement won't fit in the housing. The functionality is a little different -- in the Emgo unit, the two balls lock into detents in the cast metal lock housing to provide the switch position detents, while in my old ignition switch the plastic unit itself contains both spring-loaded balls and detents. I have another ignition switch assembly from a '77 CB550F and can verify the Emgo unit fits OK in that one. But I don't have keys for that switch, so fat lot of good it does!

I'd really rather avoid having to replace my ignition switch (and seat lock) with an Emgo unit if I can at all avoid it. I can't find a replacement switch unit that will fit this apparent unicorn of a switch. Any ideas?
'75 CB550F

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
Re: CB550F0 ignition switch repair
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 04:43:20 am »
If your stock ignition switch has the number stamped into it, simply buy a replacement key for it and ditch that POS Emgo product.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Jonesy

• Shop Rat
  • Old Timer
  • "Damn! These HM300 Pipes Are Expensive!!!"
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 07:28:03 am »
+1 on ditching the EMGO switch. Many have had problems.

Pop for a new Honda switch as they improved the design. I have a thread about it somewhere with pictures of the changes...
"Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing people out there having a good time on motorcycles; it makes me take another look." -Steve McQueen

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 10:21:41 pm »
A good locksmith can rekey your spare lock (if it fits your 550) to your existing key on the bike and won't charge a fortune. They will lube the lock and tune it up and replace any worn parts. It is a good idea to flush your lock with WD40 once a year. If it is sideways the better as the dirt can flow out of the lock...otherwise pulling the switch to allow it to flush any material out. Lots of cheap keys shed their chromed or nickel coating which is not good for your lock.
This is true for your cars as well as the bikes.

David
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 07:00:44 am »
+1 on ditching the EMGO switch. Many have had problems.

Pop for a new Honda switch as they improved the design. I have a thread about it somewhere with pictures of the changes...

Where did you find a Honda switch?  Discontinued...

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/honda/HP-35010-377-007.html

I've had trouble with the Emgo repair and have bought the entire switch instead...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/14-008-HONDA-IGNITION-SWITCH-WITH-2-KEYS-5-PRONG-BASE-35100-422-017-/361535985847?fits=Model%3ACB550F&hash=item542d3958b7:g:8esAAOSwBLlVUn9h&vxp=mtr
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........