Author Topic: CB500 Electrical Troubles  (Read 1066 times)

Offline fozzygump

CB500 Electrical Troubles
« on: July 28, 2016, 04:41:28 pm »
I jumped headfirst into a project with little prior experience and it's been interesting. Right now I'm having trouble getting a spark to my spark plugs and I wanted to ask if anyone could verify something for me.

This is one of my leads leading to the spark plug boot. Are the wires normally this small? I would've assumed they would be pronounced, not half buried in the lining of the lead. I'm about to pull my hair out over the electricals but this is one of my hunches. Can anyone confirm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Scott S

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: CB500 Electrical Troubles
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 05:40:21 pm »
 That looks horrible. Trim it back a quarter inch or so until you get to good wires. Or replace the coils.
'71 CB500 K0
'17 Triumph Street Scrambler
'81 Yamaha XS650

Offline fozzygump

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 07:55:41 pm »
Snipped em back and got a spark! Thanks for the advice. Like I said I'm really new to this and it took longer than I'd like to admit to find that, but at least that hurdles behind me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 09:49:27 pm »
And just to make sure, the coil on the left side of your bike (seated) should have the plug wires running to the left most and right most cylinders (1&). The right coil serves the inner two cylinders (2 & 3). Just in case you missed this fact.  :)
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis