Author Topic: CB450 shock height  (Read 1772 times)

Offline longshanks

• Hot Shot
CB450 shock height
« on: January 25, 2017, 09:06:08 am »
So I'm wanting to replace the tired and old shocks on my 450 and go with something a little bit higher since I'm tall(6'4") but I don't want to mess with the handling of the frame geometry too much. I've been looking at these Emgo's which people seem to like(other than being a little stiff) and are 335mm height vs the stock 320mm. The website just mentions other bikes than Honda as being compatible but I assume thats because of the odd height but it should install on the bike alright as long as I have the correct diameter bushings yes?
Thanks!
http://4into1.com/emgo-performance-black-chrome-shocks-eye-to-eye-335mm-13-2/
cb450 K5

Offline Flyin900

• Expert
Re: CB450 shock height
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 05:24:24 pm »
If the bushing size is correct and will fit your existing shock mounts then all you are talking about is 1/2 " difference in shock height. It may change the geometry very slightly, yet I can't see it being enough to make the bike handle in an unsafe manner.
I also don't see it changing the height enough to make any real difference to the ride comfort or height. It is a mid size motorcycle at 450cc's and if you are tall or a big inseam, only a larger bike will probably help you there.
If you are a new rider and want to get some seat time on a smaller lighter bike that is a good strategy, yet in the long term you may end up eventually gravitating to a larger bike with a taller seat height to begin with.
Common sense.....isn't so common!

1966 CL77 - 305cc - Gentleman's Scrambler
1967 CL175K0 - Scrambler #802 engine
1972 CB350F - Candy Bacchus Olive - Super Sport
1973 CB350F - Flake Matador Red - Super Sport
1975 CB400F - Parakeet Yellow - Super Sport
1976 CB400F - Varnish Blue - Super Sport
1976 GL1000 - Goldwing Standard
1978 CB550K - Super Sport
1981 GL1100 - Goldwing Standard
1982 CM450A - Hondamatic
1982 CB900C - Custom
1983 CX650E - Eurosport
1983 CB1000C - Custom X 2 Bikes now - both restored
1983 CB1100F - Super Sport - Pristine example
1984 GL1200 - Goldwing Standard

Offline longshanks

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 07:55:06 pm »
If the bushing size is correct and will fit your existing shock mounts then all you are talking about is 1/2 " difference in shock height. It may change the geometry very slightly, yet I can't see it being enough to make the bike handle in an unsafe manner.
I also don't see it changing the height enough to make any real difference to the ride comfort or height. It is a mid size motorcycle at 450cc's and if you are tall or a big inseam, only a larger bike will probably help you there.
If you are a new rider and want to get some seat time on a smaller lighter bike that is a good strategy, yet in the long term you may end up eventually gravitating to a larger bike with a taller seat height to begin with.

I had a 750 years ago and I agree with you completely. I'm too tall for the 450. However, I love riding it and wanted it to not feel like my knees are up into my chest. I think increasing the rear ride height would help with that a little bit.
cb450 K5

Offline tbpmusic

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 09:22:40 am »
The shocks in your link won't work at all - your 450 has a clevis on the bottom, not an eye.
Similar products are available with a clevis, but there have been reports of interference with the chain guard in some cases.
As for the minimally longer shocks, you won't notice much difference in that context.
However, a pair of twisted rubber bands work as well as stock Honda shocks of that era, so ANY replacements will feel and work better.
I used a pair from an '82 750 DOHC, slightly longer, bolt-up, feel ok (not great, ok).

You can bite the bullet and order some Progressive shocks, which will fit perfectly and work GREAT.
Maybe partially because your wallet will be substantially lighter...........

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, then it's an electrical problem"

Bill Lane
 '71 CB450 Mutant/ '75 CB200/ '81 CM200/ '71 C70M

Offline longshanks

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 11:20:53 am »
The shocks in your link won't work at all - your 450 has a clevis on the bottom, not an eye.
Similar products are available with a clevis, but there have been reports of interference with the chain guard in some cases.
As for the minimally longer shocks, you won't notice much difference in that context.
However, a pair of twisted rubber bands work as well as stock Honda shocks of that era, so ANY replacements will feel and work better.
I used a pair from an '82 750 DOHC, slightly longer, bolt-up, feel ok (not great, ok).

You can bite the bullet and order some Progressive shocks, which will fit perfectly and work GREAT.
Maybe partially because your wallet will be substantially lighter...........

You were correct, I didn't look carefully at those shocks and its a good thing I didn't order yet! What about these? Here is what I'm looking at: http://4into1.com/emgo-performance-black-chrome-shocks-eye-clevis-330mm-13-cb350f-cb400f-cb450-cb550-cb750/

Or I could go with adjustable but I'm not sure how well it would ride at 330mm: http://4into1.com/black-chrome-adjustable-remote-reservoir-shocks-eye-to-clevis-320-330mm/

Or....spend twice the amount and go with Hagon's from Dave Quinn.
cb450 K5