Author Topic: Can't bleed brakes after new lines!!!  (Read 997 times)

Offline JBCB500

• Enthusiast
  • Really enjoying this!
Can't bleed brakes after new lines!!!
« on: February 25, 2017, 06:55:54 am »
Hello,

I'm having another nightmare, this time bleeding my brakes.  I did it a couple of weeks ago with no problems, took minutes.

I've since replaced the top rubber hose and the lower, small diameter metal pipe with a new set of braided steel hoses from 4into1.  New fittings as well. I can pump fluid
Out through the nipple, and without any bubbles appearing in my glass at the bottom.  But the lever never builds any pressure.  I have primed
The mc using my finger and had plenty of fluid pressure.  I have tried both leaving
The bleed nipple open to allow gravity to do the work and zip-tying the lever overnight and still no pressure.  I have also tried a vacuum pump from both ends.

It is clear that I have some amount of air still stuck
In the system as I have no leaks and I know the mc is good.  Any advice on how to get it out?

Offline Bodi

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Can't bleed brakes after new lines!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 12:58:02 pm »
I have described pressure filling (reverse bleeding?) the system using the caliper cylinder as a fluid pump previously. This has worked for me many times and succeeded where repeated normal bleeding didn't get a firm lever feel.
Too much typing to repeat this. Should be findable via google search.
The m/c does not work well for filling empty lines. Vacuum filling from the top is good, pressure filling from the bottom almost as good (vacuum expands the bubbles which then float out easier). Old school pumping down 7sing the lever synced with opening/closing the bleeder is ok for refreshing brake fluid but works poorly for eliminating air in the system.
Decent vacuum or pressure bleeding machines are too costly for me and the cheapo ones I looked at were junk.
Tried a big syringe but DOT3 ate the plunger seal turning it to tarry goop in a few minutes. Still working on a homebrew pressure bleeder (that works) for newer bikes with different caliper designs... but using the caliper as a pump is perfect for the design of our calipers.

Offline JBCB500

• Enthusiast
  • Really enjoying this!
Re: Can't bleed brakes after new lines!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 07:31:54 am »
Bodi, thanks for the input.  I essentially did what you suggested.

I replaced the MC as the old one had a clear leak.  I then used a mixmaster syringe and some clear hose to inject fluid up from the caliper.  Primed the MC at the top banjo and FINALLY I have brakes!

Thanks,

Jordan