Author Topic: Electronic ignition system Honda CB400 F 1976  (Read 2942 times)

Offline madhilmer

Electronic ignition system Honda CB400 F 1976
« on: March 23, 2017, 06:23:19 am »
Hi Forum,

Im all new so sorry if this topic has been around... At least its not the " which oil do i use" discussion..:)

Im helping my brother to get his honda cb400 up and running.

I want to change the points to an electronic ignition.

It has the 333 advancer on it which some of the systems dont seem to fit with.

Any advice on which system i should by or any tips?

All help is highly appreciated!

Best Regards

Mads

Offline Deltarider

• Really Old Timer ...
  • First round...
Re: Electronic ignition system Honda CB400 F 1976
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 07:21:42 am »
I'd consider Hondaman's transistor ignition.
CB500K2-ED Excel black
"There is enough for everyone's need but not enough for anybody's greed."

Offline przjohn

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 09:46:08 am »
The Dynatek requires replacement of the coils which means more cost and fabricating brackets. The stock charging system cannot handle the load of the stock coils. The Pamco says it can use the stock coils. I used the Pamco on a 750 restoration and it seems to be trouble free so far but ended up just going back to the points system for a 400F restoration.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking at dead things with a stick.

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 09:48:23 am »
Why change to electronic?  The points system works fine.
New OEM ignition plates are around.
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mineā€¦"

Offline Brian G

• Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 11:05:22 am »
If you're dead set on an electronic ignition, these guys are probably. IMHO, the best - if possibly also the most expensive at +/- $350 USD:

http://www.trispark.com.au/home/products/

I fitted one of their units to my BSA triple and it's been flawless since installation - haven't had to adjust anything in 10 years! Their customer service is also A-1.

That said, I have to agree with flybox. I just finished a CB400F restoration and went with the stock points ignition as there was no real reason to change (unlike the Rocket 3 which had 3 sets of points to set and the drag on the auto advance unit at higher rpm caused the timing to wander).

Regards,
1975 Honda CB400F
1978 Honda CB550K
1979 Honda CBX
1969 BSA Rocket 3
1976 Kawasaki KH400
2008 Kawasaki C14 Concours

Offline vames

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 11:21:50 am »
The Dynatek requires replacement of the coils which means more cost and fabricating brackets. The stock charging system cannot handle the load of the stock coils. The Pamco says it can use the stock coils. I used the Pamco on a 750 restoration and it seems to be trouble free so far but ended up just going back to the points system for a 400F restoration.

Dunno where that comes from but I run a Dyna on my 400f with stock coils and it charges just fine. Dyna has always been a good product for me, but it's much maligned here on the site because I think they had a bad batch years ago.

Offline przjohn

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 07:00:15 pm »
[/quote

Dunno where that comes from but I run a Dyna on my 400f with stock coils and it charges just fine. Dyna has always been a good product for me, but it's much maligned here on the site because I think they had a bad batch years ago.
[/

Are you running all the stock lighting, including the front running lights? The stock alternator is anemic on the 400F. That, along with the long on cycle of current through the stock coils with the Dyna causes the the system to have insufficient capacity to handle the load. I tried it and it killed the battery with the stock coils. It has been well discussed on this forum and I believe  Dyna tells you in the instructions that you need minimum 3 Ohm coils.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking at dead things with a stick.

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 08:16:24 pm »
The 400F handles a Dyna S a little better than the 500/550 and the 250/350F bikes, but it is still a big load. If you ride mostly hiway, it can survive, but if you ride mostly city, it will have a chronic low-battery problem. Be sure to use a small headlight bulb, like a 35/35w H4 halogen, if you run the Dyna on this bike, and consider removing the front 'running lamps' (just unplug them) to help it stay charged.

If you can spring for the $$, use also the Dyna 5-ohm coils with this unit. That will cut back a little more on the loads as well. They make about the same spark voltage as the OEM coils, but with the Dyna S trigger the spark becomes very short duration above 5500 RPM, nature of that beast.
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline Tim2005

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 04:01:00 am »
The Boyer Bransden 400f ignitions are really very good. Also I think Dave Silver sells one, I haven't tried that though but their stuff is usually very good.