Author Topic: Removing Fiberglass from hands - This is just crazy :P  (Read 23857 times)

Offline ElCheapo

• Hot Shot
    • Anubis Cycle
Removing Fiberglass from hands - This is just crazy :P
« on: December 25, 2006, 11:05:39 am »
The other day we were doing some glass work and sipping coffee (rough stuff). But anyway through a bit of spilled coffee we found that the coffee removes fiberglass resin and bits from your hands right quick.  ??? Just rolls right off your hands. Maybe we should not have been drinking that coffee  ;D
Contact me for affordable rotor drilling services at $55 each rotor. Same day service on CB750/CB500/CB550 rotors. Next day on everything else.

Offline medic09

• Old Timer
Re: Removing Fiberglass from hands - This is just crazy :P
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2006, 11:43:14 am »
Tom,

Thanks for the good tip.  Reminds me of how I learned the cleaning power of Coca-Cola as a kid.  I worked in a shoe store.  We had a little workroom where we fit orthotics and made other adjustments to shoes, and also dyed them.  The linoleum floor of that little room was caked with black dye.  Nothing would take it off; and no one was about to get down and scrub with steel wool.  I think there was years-worth of dye on that floor.

One day, in a rush to get back out front, I knocked over my Coke.  It took a while (15 min. ?) to get back and clean it up.  When I wiped up the Coke, I revealed a clean linoleum floor underneath!  Left me wondering what it was doing to my insides, but I didn't stop drinking the stuff.
Mordechai

'78 CB750K
'76 Triumph T160 Trident (rebuilding)
'07 aprilia Caponord

Santa Fe, NM

Offline CrisPDuk

• Christ on a bike! Me, an
  • Expert
  • Oh happy day! 3rd December 2005
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2006, 08:09:15 pm »
Good tip there EC, must try it next time I'm working with that expanding foam. see if it has the same effect :)

Medic09, have you never seen what coke can do to an iron casting :o
I have, s'never stopped me drinking it either ;D
Education: Elitist activity. Cost ineffective. Unpopular with Grey Suits. Now largely replaced by Training."

1978 CB550 K3
1985 H100S

Offline dn4911

• a work in progress
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 06:52:34 pm »
What works better:  Vinegar.  If you have any cuts it will burn a little, but it works great.  Also good to use it to take off the amine blush after epoxy cures.
CB550 K1

masonryman

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 07:14:47 pm »
cider or clear, the cider vinegar neutralizes rust pretty well after you knock off the top, hit it with a scuff pad and cider vinegar

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 08:23:56 pm »
There was a post about this on landracing.com

I think the Bub Speed trials thread..

Think they said to get it off your skin.. use shaving cream or soap..!

& ... later up..wash down..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline RFogelsong

• Hot Shot
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 03:17:09 pm »
When working with fiberglass and carbon fiber especially (like glass only much sharper and tinier pieces that hurt like a mother) I rinse under cold water to close the pores and then take a strip of duct tape to it.  Get the tape on there good and peel quickly like an old band-aid. 

This method isn't good at all if it gets on the top side of your arms (ouch), but I tend to get it in my hands and the undersides of my arms mostly. 

Yet another use for duct tape.
-Rob

Hondas past/present:
SOHC1:'74 CB125, '78 XL125
DOHC2:'71 CB450K
SOHC4:'73 350F, '75 400F, '75 550K
DOHC4:'81 900F, '01 1100XX
V4:'85 VF1000R, '86 VF500F, '08 VFR800

Offline BLUE71TURBO

• Master
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 07:27:03 pm »
 Just use acetone. works the best and dissolves fiberglass in seconds.  Also if you ever get tree sap from handling lumber just use WD-40.  It comes right off.    ;)
Remember; Before you can be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid !

Offline BLUE71TURBO

• Master
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 07:30:46 pm »
Tom,

Thanks for the good tip.  Reminds me of how I learned the cleaning power of Coca-Cola as a kid.  I worked in a shoe store.  We had a little workroom where we fit orthotics and made other adjustments to shoes, and also dyed them.  The linoleum floor of that little room was caked with black dye.  Nothing would take it off; and no one was about to get down and scrub with steel wool.  I think there was years-worth of dye on that floor.

One day, in a rush to get back out front, I knocked over my Coke.  It took a while (15 min. ?) to get back and clean it up.  When I wiped up the Coke, I revealed a clean linoleum floor underneath!  Left me wondering what it was doing to my insides, but I didn't stop drinking the stuff.

It's the Phosphoric Acid that's in Coke.
Remember; Before you can be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid !

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 04:03:52 pm »
Good tip there EC, must try it next time I'm working with that expanding foam. see if it has the same effect :)

Medic09, have you never seen what coke can do to an iron casting :o
I have, s'never stopped me drinking it either ;D

If you get coke on an iron casting it would be the same as getting water on it. It will rust.  End of story.

I am so sick of hearing the stories about coke and the acid in it.
If you really think it will rust a nail then buy a coke,put a nail in it and months later if you remove the nail from the liquid Coke the nail will be wet. Thats all.

If you put a nail in coke and then take it out of the bottle and lay it down outside, it will rust like any thing else made of steel left out in the rain.

Offline nteek754

• Hot Shot
  • 1973 K3/750/836/70 1970 750 chopper 1973 cafe
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 08:19:35 pm »
Hey all, I use to build fiberglass boats  one word acetone but yup you have got to be carfull, don;t get it where you don"t need it or want good luck and I wear rubber gloves cause I know Im gonna make mess
seven fifty four ever its not the destination its the journey Ive been collecting these old dinasours for 33 years . they are quite an ICON