Author Topic: 80 KZ1000 named Kaw Pie.  (Read 20592 times)

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Re: 82 kz1100 spectre & 80 KZ1000G. Trade for sportster?
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2017, 01:39:59 am »
That'd be a sweet deal if you can pull it off Don, the Sporty should be worth $3500 all day, and they're a great bike to ride, to boot! It'll definitely be an Evo, and if you're lucky it'll have at least have had a pipe/jetting change, which really makes a difference to the asthmatic state that they left the showroom floors to pass EPA regs.  I love youtube............ ;D

I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2017, 09:05:24 pm »
 I tried to grab the pic from facebook messenger last night and my phone called the guy at 11pm. I know he gets up at 0 dark thirty, it rang before I could turn it off lol.

It looks a lot like that bike, I'm going for it, I may have to do the delivery, that said, I'll need some earnest money or something. forward and stock controls, a double sofa seat and the stock one.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2017, 01:10:34 am »
Go for it Don, you won't go wrong, and there are probably more cool aftermarket parts available for Sporties than there are for CB750's! I'm currently watching youtube video's of how to install hot cams and big bore kits in Sporties, I bought a high comp Hammer 1250cc kit, Andrews "N" grind cams and a Dyna 2000i ignition for mine about a year ago, and they're still sitting in the box, with only 5000 miles on my bike from new (mine's a 1994 XLH) I really haven't had the heart to tear it down! ;D

thumbnail_IMG_0935 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2017, 05:53:35 pm »
 There are 200 sportsters within 100 miles listed on facebook marketplace. Prices vary from but similar bikes range from $2K to $4K and only four kz1000's. There is also another spectre asking is $800 with a tired smoking engine but all there, that would make a set I can make a bike out of.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2017, 02:47:07 am »
Yep, I'm always surprised at how few Jap bikes from the 80's have survived in good condition to today Don, maybe Jap bike owners from the era just didn't look after their bikes, or didn't value them? They were pretty bland, in a lot of ways. Cheers, Terry. ;D 

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2017, 03:47:10 pm »
 I rode it in the cold air 55* F. Anyway it ran like crap. My carb guy quit a little too soon. low speed feels good but mid range is awful. I'm going to raise the needles a notch. It has pods and no accelerator pumps so it's no wonder. Tom said he's never seen a stock motor that wanted a 25 pilot jet before, usually they're in the teens.

Anyone got an air box for an 80 LTD? Or a enter stand? I'd like to lower the back end a little and remove the sissy bar. I haven't decided flat seat, ltd seat or something in between. I get the feeling the hump may be useful if I get it running good. In the meantime I named it Kaw pie.

Offline dragracer

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB750F Dragbike
Re: 82 kz1100 spectre & 80 KZ1000G named Kaw Pie.
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2017, 12:56:29 am »
I'm no KZ expert but I know that head is 79/80. But the rest of the bike seems to be a mixture of an 81 LTD/CSR, an earlier KZ1000 and a few other models. The side covers don't appear to be what I remember from a 79/80 either so i'm not certain the frame is 79/80. I'm sure you checked the VIN to confirm the year.

If the fella wants to trade a running HD 1200 for both bikes, i'd certainly be all over it even if it meant driving to deliver. Normally I tell people to hold onto these old KZ's but you'd be better off starting with better specimens.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2017, 06:09:30 am »
  I'm still not into it for a lot of bucks. Tom said the head was a smog head, to be honest, I didn't run the numbers off the frame but will for sure today.
  And Frankie, Tom did remember talkng to you. He knows most of the Honda racers at least by name. You tube has a video of him racing the Hondamatic in the final one year, I think at Pomona.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 08:25:46 am by Don R »

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2017, 07:34:48 am »
 I was misinformed, it wasn't an EFI bike, just an 80 ltd originally in ebony and midnight blue. The Illinois title says KZ1000P but the VIN numbers don't say police bike.  The engine numbers fall within the range for the chassis.
 Repro tank emblems are cheap from china, the side cover emblems aren't as cheap but are available. The home covered seat has to go though. There is a flat z1 clone seat that fits for $170 or a repop ltd seat which might be easier to stay on under power.
 I'll warm it up and do a hot leak down test before proceeding much further. 27,000 miles, the rocker cover and oil filter were pretty clean inside so it's at least had regular oil changes.
 It needs more midrange fuel so the needle clips get dropped a hole at least. Maybe more jet too.  We do have mikuni jets somewhere here. 

I cut some plastic strips in a curve from a gallon oil jug to make baffles for the inside ofthe pod filters, they wind in pretty tight and tuck under the rubber edge at the front. I'm thiking they should straighten out the flow at the entrance to the carbs a little and allow the engine a little more vacuum signal at the air bleeds. If not, they come back out easy enough with an o ring pick. I stuck one on my shop vac and couldn't suck it in so I'd say they're stable in there.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 11:08:12 pm by Don R »

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: 82 kz1100 spectre & 80 KZ1000 named Kaw Pie.
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2017, 06:17:19 pm »
 I raised the needles a notch and it warmed up today. I got about 5 miles on it and it runs like a kz1000 should. I'll check the plugs later but now it's what I expected. Now it needs tires.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wO5LMVkkorHEmhWu1

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2017, 02:14:17 am »
Great pic Don, and I'd love a walk through your garage! ;D

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2017, 01:15:03 pm »
 I can do a walk through, lots of junk though.

I just stretched a 550 seat cover over an LTD seat pan and foam. I can't help think travelcade made one cover work for two different foam cushions. I peeled the foam off the 550 reproduction cover and it went right on the ltd foam. My hands are sore from stretching but I wanted it as tight as possible. Looks like it came that way.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2017, 02:12:29 pm »
Ha ha, yeah do a walk thru and post it here Don, I'd love to see a virtual tour! I can't even walk around my garage, it really is that disgusting! I've got 4 weeks off over Christmas, so I might spend a day or two cleaning it up, if I don't do it soon, it'll be too late......... Post a pic of that seat mate, sounds interesting! ;D

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2017, 09:47:56 pm »
Here's the seat,
https://photos.app.goo.gl/EHP5Eq3Sswu2hGFo2

Dragster and 1124 drag bike
https://photos.app.goo.gl/u26W0wcmiJcw41OF2

77 Fn'K now with a k tank back on, Sandcast, diecast, 72 for sale project, 82 1100 Kawasaki shaft, On the left is my brothers one owner K4 750.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/fH5jqD7ErpSTddAz2

My filing system
https://photos.app.goo.gl/lKljgHnuyDKAw0N72

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kBxPwqq60zojZ5TA2

« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 09:57:38 pm by Don R »

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2017, 12:28:32 am »
Wow! Look at all that garage gold! Beautiful Don, way tidier than mine, I think I need some more shelving so I can get more of my crap up off the floor, I don't want to throw any of my bike parts out, but I just don't know how I can get it into some semblance of order! I love all your bikes too! ;D

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2017, 09:54:50 pm »
 Thanks Terry, I've got a couple almost ready to sell. The 72 has a no number factory replacement frame, it's got a k1 motor with a big bore kit, not sure of the cc's  I talked to the builder but he couldn't remember which kit he used, there's an 82 kz1100 J engine, this 80 kz1000 mk2, and a 77 cb750 yet to sell. At some point I may let loose of one of the special ones but which one I don't know yet. I need to rattle my body and paint guy loose a little, he's had the K0 stuff for too long already.

I want to buy a fully fabbed Roadster Shop Spec chassis for the 69 firebird, set the body on it and then rebuild the body on the new chassis. I nearly had the cash but was a little short so I re-invested in bikes to sell. I'll need big brakes and front hubs to make it a roller. cubic $$ it is. I'm thinking $15K for the chassis and $4K for the body panels, Trans am hood, doors with no handle holes, roof skin, mini tubs, I have the new floor pans going in now and I'll cut the corners off of a new gas tank to clear the frame or have one made. there are far too many carburetors around here so EFI will go on the 400 Pontiac motor.

If I sold the K0's to finance this, someone would need to pay dearly for them but I'd still have my brothers one owner K4 750, the gl1000 and maybe a tricked out kz1000. I'm thinking Z1 clone but with a big bore J head bad boy motor. And there's that cb drag bike. My funny car chassis partner is trading chassis work for getting his late model gas turbo VW engine replaced, so there went that business. 

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2017, 08:33:41 pm »
 I ordered a set of tank and a set of sidecover emblems off ebay. It really needs them to set off the paint and seat. I've got a really nice looking 16 x 130 tire but it's too old and I can't make myself use it lol. I'm thinking of Shinko's I asked the guy that worked on it and he said Kenda's are good enough. I do know of a Michelin I ordered to put on my gl1000 and it came 16" not the 17" I needed. Maybe it's still in stock.

Edit, I ordered a gauge bracket off ebay, the one on the bike has a stud that was twisted off, The idiot lights that don't work aren't caused by the bulbs. hmmm, The PO said they burned out one at a time. Likely story. I got some bulbs at Autozone but they are less watts. Hope I can see them in the daytime.  If not I'll get superbright led's.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 04:05:38 pm by Don R »

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2017, 09:44:53 pm »
 This just in, gs1100E swingarm is on the way. Reportedly works with cb750 shocks.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2017, 01:23:10 am »
Nice! Re: the fit with CB750 shocks, I remember years ago when I was selling my first F2 I thought I'd take the Koni shocks off and put them on my Suzy GS1000S, but the Suzuki shock bottom mount was slightly too wide for the clevis? I thought about machining out the shock, or taking a little meat off the swingarm, but in the end just sold the bike on with the Koni's, then bought a new pair for the Suzy. I imagine the GS1100 swingarm's mounts are the same Don, so let us know when they arrive? Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2017, 02:21:35 pm »
 I will, thanks Terry. The swingarm was half the price of the other ones listed but was worded weird and didn't come up in most searches. The best part is it's pretty clean, reportedly has tight bearings and includes most of the related parts. There is a set of progressives or some kinda ugly but really cheap air shocks on ebay, one length fits gs1100 and another fits gl1000 so I may try a set out.
 I'm planning a chain swap to 530, the parts are easy from Z1 Enterprises or Z1 parts.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: 80 KZ1000 named Kaw Pie.
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2017, 03:23:51 pm »
Wow, I feel like I'm walking around a devastated city after a cyclone Don, and all those wonderful posts over the last 10 days or so have been blown away! ;D

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2017, 03:58:43 pm »
Hey Don, have you still got that sandcast engine? Here's a sandcast bike with no engine going for $2500, bargain! (maybe) ;D

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/mcy/d/cb750-sandcast/6433924483.html

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2017, 05:18:18 pm »
 No, but thanks for remembering. I don't sell much but needed some racing money and a guy was here with a pocket full of cash. His buddy was on the phone in a boat in lake Michigan cooking chicken while buying my sandy motor.

Per the missing 10 days, Someone said it's like groundhog day, I saw a post and thought, I already told threw in my .02 what happened?

I found a kz site, it's nothing like this.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 05:26:41 pm by Don R »

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...