Author Topic: trigger circuit question  (Read 887 times)

Offline my name is nobody

• Hot Shot
  • I like Pontiacs and Hondas
trigger circuit question
« on: December 28, 2017, 07:23:20 pm »
could the existing starter relay be used to trigger a different and separate relay (SPDT) that would interrupt current going to another component (headlight) during cranking only? (trigger off of same relay post as starter motor) I want to use the factory on/off headlight switch (k5 750) for something different,
and need to know if this would work for relaying the lights w/key on.

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
Re: trigger circuit question
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 07:31:15 pm »
Sure, I even make one like it called the Start Button Saver relay kit. All you need is a SPDT 12v relay, like the automotive ones from Bosch or Aromat.
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline Yamahawk

• IGOR!Come here IGOR! ...Yesss
  • Master
  • 1971 Honda CB750 Four K1
    • Kingdom Run Biker Church and Outreach
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 07:32:29 pm »
could the existing starter relay be used to trigger a different and separate relay (SPDT) that would interrupt current going to another component (headlight) during cranking only? (trigger off of same relay post as starter motor) I want to use the factory on/off headlight switch (k5 750) for something different,
and need to know if this would work for relaying the lights w/key on.
I take it this SPDT relay would default to headlight energized with the starter relay off, and when actuated, the 12v would actuate the SPDT relay onto the unused 2nd set of contacts, effectively breaking the circuit to the headlight, turning it off... then when bike starts, the headlight would be back to the default contacts with headlight on? If so, I don't know why it wouldn't work.
Charlie
1971 CB750K1 (newest bike), 1996 Royal Enfield 500 Bullet (therapy bike), 1981 Yamaha XV920RH, 2006 Kawasaki Concours (retirement bike), 1975 Yamaha RD350 (race bike), 1989 Honda VTR250 Interceptor (race bike), 1986 Kawasaki EX250 Ninja (race bike in progress), 1985 Honda Elite CH250, 1973 Yamaha GT1 80cc, 1974 Yamaha DT360 project bike.

The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Triumph, is for Good Men to do Nothing.
Edmund Burke

All Things work together for good, for those who love God and are the Called according to His purpose.
Romans 8:28

Though He slay me, Yet will I trust Him...
Job 13:15
will you trust Him...?

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 05:30:09 am »
yup
I just wasn't sure about the second relay using it's trigger source with the starter..Thanks guys,
that's what I needed.

Offline KeithB

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 07:49:31 am »
Just to clarify what Yamahawk said, when the relay has no power to the actuator coil, the power to the headlight would go through the "normally closed" contacts.
When you hit the starter, the actuator coil is energized and the normally closed contacts open, killing power to the headlight.
Should work just fine.
Nanahan Man

• Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 11:39:37 am »
zactly
And after going around the on/off headlight switch, the plan is to incorporate it into emergency flashers.