Author Topic: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?  (Read 174550 times)

Offline BeSeeingYou

• Old Timer
Re: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?
« Reply #1075 on: August 30, 2020, 06:42:54 pm »
Put 15 comfortable miles on the tandem. This Vision R85 is the most comfortable bike I have ever owned.  We went tandem last summer and the upright singles have been gathering cobwebs ever since.  27 speeds, shock absorber front end, extra drag brake on the rear, and independent pedaling so we don’t have to pedal at the same time.  The under steering takes a bit to get the hang of and you have to be on your game to handle it in tight quarters.  It is said a tandem bike will test your marriage......so far it’s worked for us. :D
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 06:46:19 pm by BeSeeingYou »

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #1076 on: August 30, 2020, 08:22:43 pm »
The standard Gear Vendors ODs all have an adapter that replaces the stock trans tail-shaft housing, and a splined female coupler with the selected transmissions spline on one end, and the standard GV spline on the other. The output end of the GV is a fixed yoke for the universal joint, so the drive-shaft will need to be modified with a sliding joint as well as shortened by approximately 20 inches, IIRC.
The OD is activated with an electric solenoid, so it can be manually controlled with a simple toggle switch; the control is only needed for automatic operation.
My first experience with an over-drive was in 1966, when I was 12. Ron, the neighbor across the street had replaced the clutch in his Triumph TR4A IRS, and asked me to push in the clutch pedal while he was underneath adjusting it. Afterwards, he took me on the test run, and told me the car had 8 speeds, then proved it by counting off the gears. ;D IIRC, there was a stalk on the right side of the steering column the switched the OD in or out.
  Sounds awesome, I already put out feelers for a T400 adapter. I already need a new driveshaft, this gives an excuse to go big on the u joints too.
The rear yoke looks like it takes a 3 3/8" wide U-joint? I also noticed it looks like it's supposed to have a bolt with a thick washer to retain the yoke; there appear to be fine 3/8" threads in the end of the output shaft. Here are a couple of pics:
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 08:25:49 pm by scottly »
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline WhyNot2

• I'm finally an
  • Master
« Reply #1077 on: August 31, 2020, 05:27:19 am »
had 4 new shoes put on the taco....

Rides soooooo much better....
If it ain't raining, I'm riding.....~~{iii}?~~prost

If it sounds like I know what I'm talking about, it's because I cut and pasted from someone else.

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #1078 on: August 31, 2020, 05:36:10 am »
Lightened the MR2 a bit more with Lexan rear windows. We are off to Mosport this weekend. Endurance Racing double header. Seven hours on Saturday, 8 on Sunday!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 07:11:45 pm by BenelliSEI »

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #1079 on: August 31, 2020, 07:50:52 am »
Covers painted and installed...waiting on intake still.  They had to put it through another hot tank cycle...there’s some primer or base on it that wasn’t coming off in places. They will blast if they have to...hopefully back by midweek.

Looks great Joe!  Stev-o approved.

Vapor blasting would be best for the intake.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #1080 on: August 31, 2020, 02:37:43 pm »
looking bloody great!

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #1081 on: August 31, 2020, 04:06:50 pm »
The rear yoke looks like it takes a 3 3/8" wide U-joint? I also noticed it looks like it's supposed to have a bolt with a thick washer to retain the yoke; there appear to be fine 3/8" threads in the end of the output shaft.

My dually has a slip joint in the middle, when I lowered it 6"+8", the directions were for a smaller trans, my allison doesn't have a slip joint so it induced a harsh vibration. I lowered the rear of the trans and made the front joint as straight as possible. The moved the angle to the middle and rear joints so the slip could absorb the whip of the joints.
 I learned it the hard way. I couldn't figure it out, the lowering kit co. didn't know, GM dealer that does 4x4's didn't get it. My service manager/car builder buddy didn't know. The new Hot Rod mag had the answer.
 edit.
I found slip yokes for them and I can get it for 1350 spicer u joints which I can also get for my 9" ford.  My friend that does driveshafts is in kenosha, for a few seconds I wondered why his shop is boarded up. Duh. self preservation I guess.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 07:40:03 pm by Don R »
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline CBJoe

• Master
What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?
« Reply #1082 on: September 02, 2020, 03:35:28 pm »
I know that its super nice getting pre-bent lines...but man they can still be a bit#! to get into place  :o

All new SS Brake Lines, Hoses, Proportioning Valve, Booster, and Master Cylinder Installed...wohoo!  One Step closer...gonna bleed the system tomorrow and pray that it goes smooth.  I just picked up a compressed air vacuum bleeder to try out.

Really trying to get this thing back on the road before labor day....would love to drive it out to family cookout

Joe
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 03:37:08 pm by CBJoe »
'07 Bonneville Black
'15 Moto Guzzi California 1400
CB750K2 Hot Rod Revival http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,171693.0.html
'65 CB77
'66 CM91 (C90'ish)

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1083 on: September 02, 2020, 11:26:56 pm »
 CB that is one sweet set of wheels. 
  I'm looking at brake line materials, I'm considering cooper nickel lines, they don't rust and are a little easier to work with than stainless. I have the benders and after 32 years of plumbing/pipe fitting I got pretty good at using them. My old parts store flare tool could use an upgrade though.
 The old pneumatic control guys used to roll the tubing out and put vise grips on each end. They replaced the adjuster bolt with a forged eye bolt and then stretched the tubing straight with a come along. Those vise grips with eye bolts were pretty handy for lifting things too.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1084 on: September 04, 2020, 06:59:04 pm »
 Today I rode it all over, my yard until the grass was all the same length.

Offline CBJoe

• Master
« Reply #1085 on: September 06, 2020, 02:45:50 pm »
CB that is one sweet set of wheels. 
  I'm looking at brake line materials, I'm considering cooper nickel lines, they don't rust and are a little easier to work with than stainless. I have the benders and after 32 years of plumbing/pipe fitting I got pretty good at using them. My old parts store flare tool could use an upgrade though.
 The old pneumatic control guys used to roll the tubing out and put vise grips on each end. They replaced the adjuster bolt with a forged eye bolt and then stretched the tubing straight with a come along. Those vise grips with eye bolts were pretty handy for lifting things too.
That’s a great trick for straightening lines.  I hadn’t even thought about copper nickel lines. 

I got the intake all installed and finger tight.  Will torque down in the morning after the gasket sets up.  Really pleased how it turned out

Before

After

Also....my new favorite tool. Only took me 10 mins to bleed all the new brake lines.  Vacuum bleeder.  Was amazing.  Almost zero mess.

So far looks like no leaks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'07 Bonneville Black
'65 CB77
'66 CM91 (C90'ish)

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #1086 on: September 06, 2020, 03:09:32 pm »
Great job Joe...
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #1087 on: September 06, 2020, 07:44:58 pm »
We have one of those pneumatic brake bleeders too. We're going to put it to the test on the Moto Guzzi's linked brake system. :o
Never Give Up - Never Surrender

The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0                                            1971 MGB/GT
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport                          1972 MGB/GT
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD                                   1985 GMC S15
1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre
1984 Honda VF 1000F Interceptor
1990 Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans
1994 Kawasaki Concours ZG 1000A9
2005 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

Offline CBJoe

• Master
« Reply #1088 on: September 07, 2020, 06:16:42 am »
We have one of those pneumatic brake bleeders too. We're going to put it to the test on the Moto Guzzi's linked brake system. :o
Best thing I’d recommend is to not have PSI all the way up.  I found 70psi to be about right.

'07 Bonneville Black
'65 CB77
'66 CM91 (C90'ish)

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1089 on: September 07, 2020, 05:52:54 pm »
 I have under 2 inches of room from the edge of the head to the vertical plane of the drivers side frame rail. The 69 firebird Cragar headers don't quite close up at the gasket due to hitting the frame. I'm going to see if Ram air IV cast iron headers will clear. If so, I'll get a set on the way and get the engine mock up over with.   The advantage of a Pontiac is the port aims down a lot. If it's a no go I'll buy the set of headers that looks closest and cut them up until they fit. The headers I have are used and coated with Eastwood's stainless paint that they don't sell it any more.

Offline CBJoe

• Master
« Reply #1090 on: September 07, 2020, 07:06:51 pm »
Hey Don...I have a set of ram air headers on the 400.  I believe they are from the ram air restoration place.

If you need any measurements let me know.

'07 Bonneville Black
'65 CB77
'66 CM91 (C90'ish)

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #1091 on: September 07, 2020, 07:41:41 pm »
Raced at Mosport, all weekend. Seven hour enduro on Saturday, and we won! I started on a 90 minute stint and closed out the day (4 drivers). On Sunday morning, we had a transmission failure (big hole in the casing!), so one of the guys went home and brought back his Miata Cup Car. We ran it all afternoon, had some fun, and enjoyed one of the best racetracks in North America. I did over 140 Laps!! Great weather, super weekend.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #1092 on: September 08, 2020, 12:49:23 am »
wow hole in the gearbox?well done winning!

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #1093 on: September 08, 2020, 05:55:24 am »
Yep, 5th gear, end of the 4,000’ back straightaway, Tim lifted off, and heard a “pop”....... the tail end of the casing (furthest from the flywheel) has a hole I can get a finger into! We’ll get into it soon. Final race weekend (another double header) is in 3 1/2 weeks, so getting into it very soon.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #1094 on: September 08, 2020, 07:47:28 am »
Raced at Mosport, all weekend.

Yes, great track, my brother has raced SCCA there many times.

What is with the bog people?!

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #1095 on: September 08, 2020, 03:22:43 pm »
Big People are the spectators in Corner Two..... old tale, there used to a swamp at the bottom of the turn, infield. In the ‘70’s they burned out an old school bus one Saturday night...... long time ago. It’s all cleaned up and since it became “Canadian Tire Motorsports Park”, lots of Security.

However, our weekend was a no spectator event!

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1096 on: September 10, 2020, 09:01:33 pm »
 We got done moving my daughter's family and brought the enclosed trailer home, we put the dragster back inside of it but when the rain let up we rolled it back out, warmed up the engine and tested the trans pressure. Now it's up to 260 psi at 2500 rpm on the trans brake and the tires stay stopped. It needed a pint or so of fluid, now it's ready to race when I button the carbon side panels back on. Not this weekend, but in 2 weeks at Byron Il. sat. and sun.
 We park as far away from everyone as possible and mask up. It seems to be working at that track.

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #1097 on: September 10, 2020, 09:08:23 pm »
Don, lots of people whom are getting the virus are eating out according to a recent article I saw...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/10/health/restaurant-dining-covid-19-cdc-study-wellness/index.html
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 10:16:17 pm by RAF122S »
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1098 on: September 10, 2020, 11:35:45 pm »
 That makes sense, you can't eat through a mask. We have a camper trailer now so  minimizing contact is easier. We've remained in contact with the kids and grandkids since we watch them rather than let them go to daycare.

Offline strynboen

• Old Timer
    • http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=p8vm7410m4h61la966bjjrpi03&/topic,60973.0.html
« Reply #1099 on: September 11, 2020, 01:41:32 pm »
got a ekstra Volvo penta md-11-c engine for my boat. the "new" engine have a heat ext..so had not ran saltvater in the cast parts...spare parts is krazy expensive..så a spare parts engine..is a good vay to keep the old boat going have saltvater cooling..the boat is 54 years old..the engine is thanged to a diesel. in the 70".it started aut vith a gas engine volvo mb-10
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 01:44:49 pm by strynboen »
i kan not speak english/but trying!!
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60973.0
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=144758.0
i hate all this v-w.... vords