Author Topic: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?  (Read 174220 times)

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
Re: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?
« Reply #1175 on: December 29, 2020, 05:57:25 pm »
 It's a recent blade but at the start I didn't think it was going to cut it.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #1176 on: December 30, 2020, 12:15:00 am »
Looks great Don, I bought an AC/DC TIG for my 50th and used it maybe 5 times? I bought another cheapie last year to weld somee gussets into a KZ1000 frame, but haven't fired it up yet, my biggest problem is my eyes are so bad I can't see where I'm welding any more? I might get Lasik surgery so I don't need to wear my lasses under my welding helmet. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1177 on: December 30, 2020, 07:36:50 pm »
 I'm wearing cheaters under a cheater lens in my hood. I walked the cup on this weld, I was too slow for the heat though and it sucked in.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zduQkCrAATYiVxm27

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1178 on: December 31, 2020, 04:17:38 pm »
I'm wearing cheaters under a cheater lens in my hood. I walked the cup on this weld, I was too slow for the heat though and it sucked in.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zduQkCrAATYiVxm27

Tell me more about these "cheaters" Don, I really need to do more welding, but with my current set up, I'm like a 4 year old in a coloring in competition........... ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1179 on: December 31, 2020, 06:18:15 pm »
 Just a dime store set of cheap 1.5X reading glasses and a farm store magnifying lens in the hood it's self. I was a plumber/pipefitter/ med gas installer and was trying my best to avoid welding. I got sent on a weld repair and took the reading glasses, suddenly I was doing it again. I do now understand the old timers saying they can still weld just can't see the puddle anymore.
 This thin stainless can be welded with no filler wire but the fit has to be perfect with no gaps. That makes the joint hard to follow. (see) I may put on a reference mark a few mm away so I can follow it easier.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1180 on: December 31, 2020, 09:14:00 pm »
Just a dime store set of cheap 1.5X reading glasses and a farm store magnifying lens in the hood it's self. I was a plumber/pipefitter/ med gas installer and was trying my best to avoid welding. I got sent on a weld repair and took the reading glasses, suddenly I was doing it again. I do now understand the old timers saying they can still weld just can't see the puddle anymore.
 This thin stainless can be welded with no filler wire but the fit has to be perfect with no gaps. That makes the joint hard to follow. (see) I may put on a reference mark a few mm away so I can follow it easier.

Thanks Don, I've got some "el cheapo" magnifying glasses here, but I haven't seen a magnifying lens for a welding helmet, I'll have to google that one, as I really need to do some welding on my Kawasaki 1428 frame, to add some bracing, I think it'll need it! ;D

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1182 on: January 01, 2021, 10:58:57 am »
 I like both lenses except when I get in a tight position and am looking sideways through the lenses. That happens in the field but rarely in my garage. 

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1183 on: January 02, 2021, 12:20:00 am »
i use these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cheater-Lenses-Magnifying-lens-suitable-for-your-welding-Helmet-Mask-fast-post/132971504582?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=432266916701&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

if you cant find any local terry let me know and i will send you a couple

Thanks Simon, I'll check out Ebay Oz and see if I can get some here, but if not, I'll be happy to take you up on it! ;D

Offline strynboen

• Old Timer
    • http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=hck4mjcf1paslhu69t4egfvqf0&/topic,60973.0.html
« Reply #1184 on: January 03, 2021, 12:36:09 pm »
i use my son to weld novdays 8)

..luckly he is a fast lerner..as i getting bad fast..my night driving is bad too..on job the tig velding is a problem.melting bath.is just a light spot..no detals left to adjust..to make punch markings to follov is a good idea..but new glasses can be a better
i kan not speak english/but trying!!
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60973.0
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=144758.0
i hate all this v-w.... vords

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1185 on: January 03, 2021, 12:54:39 pm »
Well I ordered a 3X magnifying lens for my welding helmet and when I go shopping for some drugs today I'll buy some cheapo magnifying glasses, and hopefully I'll be able to do some acceptable welds again soon. If not, I might see if Lasik surgery will sort my eyes out, wearing glasses, or at least relying so heavily on glasses, pisses me off.......... ;D

Offline jgger

• Master
« Reply #1186 on: January 03, 2021, 01:13:04 pm »
My 2013 F 150 got the treatment.
1.  New brakes all 4 corners
2. Tire rotation
3. Oil and filter change
4. Clean and oil the K&N air filter
5. Cleaned the MAF
6. New plugs

It just needs a bath inside and out now........but that will just make it start raining!
"The SOHC4 uses a computer located about 2-3 ft above the seat.  Those sometimes need additional programming." -stolen from  Two Tired

The difference between an ass kisser and brown noser is merely depth perception.  Stolen from RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1187 on: January 03, 2021, 01:35:38 pm »
My 2013 F 150 got the treatment.
1.  New brakes all 4 corners
2. Tire rotation
3. Oil and filter change
4. Clean and oil the K&N air filter
5. Cleaned the MAF
6. New plugs

It just needs a bath inside and out now........but that will just make it start raining!

Give it a wash mate, it's been raining here for 3 days now and it's bloody summer, so hopefully you washing your F150 will move the rain clouds over to your side of the pond! ;D

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1188 on: January 04, 2021, 09:09:01 am »
Well I ordered a 3X magnifying lens for my welding helmet and when I go shopping for some drugs today I'll buy some cheapo magnifying glasses, and hopefully I'll be able to do some acceptable welds again soon. If not, I might see if Lasik surgery will sort my eyes out, wearing glasses, or at least relying so heavily on glasses, pisses me off.......... ;D
I'm going to get an appointment soon, I've been putting off having my eyes worked on too. Too many years cutting metal and not enough face shields I'm sure didn't help.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1189 on: January 04, 2021, 09:11:39 am »
 I cut the Firebird's stainless steel exhaust pipe for length front to back and now realize I need to narrow the 45* offsets at the X pipe, that will shorten the front to back a half inch. I'd surely starve if I did this for a living. 

Online BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #1190 on: January 06, 2021, 06:20:14 am »
I cut the Firebird's stainless steel exhaust pipe for length front to back and now realize I need to narrow the 45* offsets at the X pipe, that will shorten the front to back a half inch. I'd surely starve if I did this for a living.

I’m cutting and shaping brackets for the Rickman...... TWICE I’ve ended up short after bends! Fortunately these bits are small enough, I’m only wasting time. Feel your pain.

Offline strynboen

• Old Timer
    • http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=hck4mjcf1paslhu69t4egfvqf0&/topic,60973.0.html
« Reply #1191 on: January 10, 2021, 11:39:29 am »
got a bit done on the 95 hilux

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #1192 on: January 10, 2021, 09:26:35 pm »
Lambo furnace? Nice work, is the white on the frame a primer or a rust conversion coating or just a rust resistant paint?
The hi-lux is one of the most prolific trucks across the world I think...they are all over the place. I recall seeing news articles about the vehicles from the US showing up in ISIS hands, known as US vehicles because several vehicles frim businesses with the vinyl business logo or information on the doors were showing upon the web of ISIS fighters driving past or had machine guns mounted on their truck beds. Lots of toyotas and Nissans, and other vehicles that were sold st auction, ended up going to Mexico and then in shipping containers and ended up in the Middle East when Isis was pushing through Syria and Iraq, etc...
The domestic trucks of Chevy and Ford just don't have the parts support of the Nissan and especially the Toyota.
What is the Hi-Lux getting done to the frame and cab and bed? Do you have a post lift or in floor car lift to separate the chassis from the frame?
Friend does car restorations and he did a Pontiac several years ago and it held a special place in he and his wife's hear as it was the first car he and his wife had after they were married. He has a four post lift and for the Pontiac he was doing floor replacement/repairs as well as body repairs for rust damage...I don't recall where the car came from... It didn't have a lot of rust but it was probably not a Southern AZ car for life as the plastics were not dried to a crisp and it had perforated rust instead of the usual just surface rust seen here due to it being so dry...
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline strynboen

• Old Timer
« Reply #1193 on: January 11, 2021, 11:22:10 am »
its just primer..the grey stuff..i have velde t /repaired both cross members...but the rest needs  too..hilux and other 2 seated firm cars had a bit toll/tax..but old Cars before 97..is half preis ca 5000 kroner at year...my 2006 is 12,000 kroner in tax..as i not have a firm ,,as private ve just be slaughted..my vife have a 4 seater Honda crv..she gives 3500 kr..cars is expensive..as they pay for road reparair and hospitals and somalies

my plan is to lift the cabin and engine and trans aut..and set it autside..and Work the frame through..and then take the cabin inside and fix it..dont have Space for both inside

my son got the other ln 110..but crash it..and bend the frame..so nov i build the reserve car for me self
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 11:36:08 am by strynboen »

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #1194 on: January 22, 2021, 02:58:23 am »
bloody great job strynboen,your a glutten for punishment!if ride on mowers count i found a digital voltmeter the other day,i like to tinker so thought id mount it on the toro mower,its got electric clutch blade engagement so not bad to keep an eye on voltage as you go?comes on with key,took a coupla beers.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 03:04:18 am by dave500 »

Offline scunny

• Old Timer
  • don't call me expert
« Reply #1195 on: January 29, 2021, 04:40:20 pm »
Today was replace a light bulb in the car day. After fluffing around trying to find how to get access to it, determined that you have to remove the wheel arch cover, well after starting to remove said cover, which is no easy task, I have cut an inspection panel into it instead. They should of thought of that when they built it. bastards.
past-cb100,ts250,cb500,cb500,gs1000,gs650g.phillips traveller
present-CB 650 retro
            VTR1000F3
           XL250S riverbed rocket
           TS250[sold]
           TS185[sold]
           XL125S[sold]
           MT50 (white)
           MT50 (red)[sold]
           KN250/XS400 project
           XR/XL250 bitsa under construction
           SL100[sold]
           XL250R
           pedal(pub bike) leaks oil
my gallery http://gallery.sohc4.net/members/personal/scunny

Offline markmyodb

• Honda owner since 1969. 19 Honda motorcyles, cars, and lawn mowers through the years!
  • Enthusiast
  • Always looking for SOHC people to ride with in NC
« Reply #1196 on: January 29, 2021, 04:59:13 pm »
After a three week road trip south towing my 75 CB550 & Goldwing on a trailer,  I winterized the Butter Cream Dream...Our 36' Winnebago RV. It is going to 19F here tonight; had to complete this task today.

Drained all water, including Hot water heater.
Blew out all water lines from main feed.
Blew out all water fixtures from the inside
Poured non toxic antifreeze in all P traps
Closed off propane
Sanitized inside of refrigerator, propped doors open

All ready till May when we get it ready for trip to Utah, Wyoming and points in between for 4 weeks
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 11:35:30 am by markmyodb »
I tell my wife the motorcycles are an investment...

CB550K1: 1975
CB750K6: 1976

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1197 on: February 12, 2021, 11:33:50 am »
 I ordered the coil over shocks for the Art Morrison c6 vette front end in my firebird project. We're going a half inch lower than design specs.
 Rock Auto had the correct 78 mark V E  brake cables so I got the two rear and intermediate cables coming. My buddy at the local parts store is nearly helpless with these old parts, I relieved him of the grief and went the online route.
 I may still need to liberate my buddies mark V rear axle to get the e brake brackets I seen to have lost. Shame on me for committing to using such an obsolete disc brake system just because I had the caliper brackets. 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 12:44:43 pm by Don R »

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1198 on: March 07, 2021, 07:42:21 pm »
 I rolled out the two new inside dually tires I got last fall. I'm planning to buy two new outer tires for the Alcoa wheels so it will have a matched set on the back, then the old two inners will be spares. The 2003 Goodyear spare goes bye bye.
 Race season will be here soon, the car needs a chassis certification and I'm already thinking of getting my trailer out of storage. The downside to that is the three bikes in the trailer with the race car need to go somewhere.  I'm still concerned about the rusty brake lines on the truck, easy peasy except the one that goes between the bed and gas tank, that requires bed removal.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1199 on: March 09, 2021, 02:24:42 am »
I rolled out the two new inside dually tires I got last fall. I'm planning to buy two new outer tires for the Alcoa wheels so it will have a matched set on the back, then the old two inners will be spares. The 2003 Goodyear spare goes bye bye.
 Race season will be here soon, the car needs a chassis certification and I'm already thinking of getting my trailer out of storage. The downside to that is the three bikes in the trailer with the race car need to go somewhere.  I'm still concerned about the rusty brake lines on the truck, easy peasy except the one that goes between the bed and gas tank, that requires bed removal.

No problem Don, I've got plenty of space in my self storage locker, send those three bikes over to me and I'll look after them for you! ;D