Author Topic: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?  (Read 172758 times)

Offline markmyodb

• Honda owner since 1969. 19 Honda motorcyles, cars, and lawn mowers through the years!
  • Enthusiast
  • Always looking for SOHC people to ride with in NC
Re: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?
« Reply #1750 on: April 21, 2022, 04:16:29 am »
Pulled the snowplow and snowthrower stuff off the John Deere and installed the 54" mower deck, getting ready for summer!!

Also working on the front loader for it:

Thanks for reminding me how much I like living in North Carolina!

I tell my wife the motorcycles are an investment...

CB550K1: 1975
CB750K6: 1976

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #1751 on: April 22, 2022, 09:59:34 am »
I was designing a drop floor bike trailer until the state I live in raised the trailer plate a hundred more dollars. That's when I decided to split costs with my brother on his trailer. I re-wired it and repaired the bearing buddies last fall so he's happy with the split so far.

I think they rescinded that Don so it isn't stupid expensive for a trailer plate.

The easiest bike move I had was when I picked up my 550F a few years ago. I rented a modern Ford Transit from UHaul. Easy to self load with a ramp, no dealing with a trailer and protection from the elements. These days, as you can see in the thread I did over at the Other Bikes board, I rent the UHaul motorcycle trailer for $20 for a day with no mileage charges. I'm pretty good at backing up these days and i don't have to store it. It has a pretty low floor, so loading isn't too hard.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #1752 on: April 23, 2022, 07:01:20 pm »
my wifes cd player died in her car so i got her a new cheapie,bit of a mission install but way easier ill bet than euro cars etc?its a 1999 hyundai she bought new,this is the second radio ive put in it!but this time the new unit has a different connector off course!dozen fiddly solder connections,try and make it look factory,its got juice fm on the display?#$%* that its beer o clock now!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 07:08:31 pm by dave500 »

Online grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #1753 on: April 23, 2022, 08:40:37 pm »
That one looks like a nice install Dave.
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #1754 on: April 23, 2022, 08:42:26 pm »
yeah cheers mate,its hard actually finding a cd player?

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #1755 on: April 24, 2022, 05:07:38 am »
Good job Dave, and that "Cheapie" Kenwood stereo was "Top of the range" back in the day. I have a brand new Alpine stereo out in the garage and a brand new Pioneer one that the family bought me in 2014 but I never installed, I think I'll fit one of them in my new "Truck" (Triton) that currently has a poxy old Clarion that's probably been in it since new.

Yesterday I gave it an oil and filter change. It's going in for a Roadworthy Inspection on Wednesday, and even though the garage owner/inspector that I spoke to seems pretty easy going, I noticed a puff of smoke on start up on Friday, so I decided that some new, thicker oil and a new filter, plus a new air filter couldn't hurt? I bought my favourite cheap 20W-50 oil plus a litre of Moreys oil additive (loved by every cheap-arse car yard, ever) plus I added the best ever engine oil additive Pro-Ma that I've been adding to every crappy old car (and BMW bikes with dry clutches) that I've owned since the 1990's. Fantastic, by the time I'd driven it for 30 minutes after doing the oil change the engine was purring with no rattling tappets, and no smoke.

I went for a drive over to "Pick a Part" (junkyard) looking for a set of stock rims for the Triton which are an odd size/offset, but only found a triton with only one good spare wheel underneath it, that I didn't bother removing, as I need a complete set. No biggie, I can buy new aftermarket steel rims in the correct size, so I've told Haidar (the inspector) to just order in new tyres and rims for it, I got it cheap enough, so I don't mind buying new wheels and tyres for it as I'll keep it forever anyway. ;D   
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #1756 on: April 25, 2022, 08:01:26 am »
yeah cheers mate,its hard actually finding a cd player?

Hey Dave....seems no one here uses CD's anymore, it's gone to Bluetooth streaming.   The Pioneer CD player in my wife's Nissan 370Z does not work, but the bluetooth does, so no worries Mate!
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #1757 on: April 25, 2022, 02:53:11 pm »
I still buy CDs for some things. Then I create digital tracks I can put on other things as I need to... But I still use the ipod some too! So, not quite a Luddite clearly...
Albums are alive again...DVDs and CDs offer storage for about 7-10 years if stored properly. Here in the desert though the heat kills many things inside a car.
Might see 100F for first time this year this week...
David- back in the desert SW!

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1758 on: April 25, 2022, 03:00:33 pm »
I’m a complete troglodyte, I have no idea how to record music onto a thumb drive or whatever. I bought CD’s to replace my favourite tapes when cars stopped coming out with tape players, but don’t see a need to get rid of my cd’s as I have 2 new car stereo’s with cd players that I’ve never taken out of their boxes. I was trying to decide which one to install in my truck and decided on the Pioneer system as it has bluetooth connectivity so I can answer my phone hands free. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #1759 on: April 26, 2022, 06:01:31 pm »
 Not mine but I realized the new street rod a friend bought is a car I've loved for years. I believe it was built for Joe Hrudka aka Mr. Gasket by Lil John Buterra one of the best fabricators ever. Buterra used to build a stock block indy car (machinists union) and go there, find a driver and often qualified it.
 Anyway, I have the centerfold from Hot Rod that's hung in my garage for a looong time. The white 33 Willys.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Online grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1760 on: April 26, 2022, 07:07:00 pm »
Not mine but I realized the new street rod a friend bought is a car I've loved for years. I believe it was built for Joe Hrudka aka Mr. Gasket by Lil John Buterra one of the best fabricators ever. Buterra used to build a stock block indy car (machinists union) and go there, find a driver and often qualified it.
 Anyway, I have the centerfold from Hot Rod that's hung in my garage for a looong time. The white 33 Willys.

Very nice looking hot rod Don.
I see the fishing rods;did you ever have a son you took fishing ?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 07:35:37 pm by grcamna2 »

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1761 on: April 26, 2022, 07:20:14 pm »
I dropped my little truck off to get a Roadworthy Certificate inspection which will include replacing all 4 rims and tyres as the PO installed incorrect size/offset rims on it and threw away the original wheels. Anyway while it won’t be cheap I’ll be keeping the truck forever, so it’ll be worth the expense. ;D

Terry's Triton 18 Apr 2022 9 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr
« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 01:41:04 am by Terry in Australia »

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #1762 on: April 26, 2022, 08:06:10 pm »
I found out today that the "Heavy Duty Towing Package", RPO Z82 for my new '04 Chevy consists of a "Brake Controller Pigtail" that was included in the glove box of trucks with the option, which mine didn't have. The pigtail plugs into a pre-wired receptacle under the dash and allows you to connect a trailer brake controller to the stock harness, so I need to find a pigtail at the boneyard and a controller and the truck will be ready for towing duty. ;D
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1763 on: April 26, 2022, 08:24:18 pm »

Very nice looking hot rod Don.
I see the fishing rods, did you ever have a son you took fishing ?
[/quote]

No sons, those are my Parent's fishing poles but two of my daughters have ponds with some pretty nice fish in them. I'm planning to let a grandson or two take me fishing. My grandpa had 6 sons and 8 grandsons but no great grandsons. We had 13 consecutive females born in the family after me. I'm the last to carry on his name.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 08:31:42 pm by Don R »

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1764 on: April 26, 2022, 08:34:41 pm »
I found out today that the "Heavy Duty Towing Package", RPO Z82 for my new '04 Chevy consists of a "Brake Controller Pigtail" that was included in the glove box of trucks with the option, which mine didn't have. The pigtail plugs into a pre-wired receptacle under the dash and allows you to connect a trailer brake controller to the stock harness, so I need to find a pigtail at the boneyard and a controller and the truck will be ready for towing duty. ;D

Be careful wiring it, there was a wiring color change around 03, either before or after, I forget which. It led to some issues with the trailer brakes. My harness contained a note about it.

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #1765 on: April 26, 2022, 08:52:12 pm »
Thanks for the heads-up, Rosie! ;D
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1766 on: April 26, 2022, 09:29:27 pm »
 You are very welcome.

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #1767 on: April 27, 2022, 01:31:18 am »
Scott that is a nice thing to discover…
Don, nice you had knowledge to share and saw Scott’s post.

David
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #1768 on: April 27, 2022, 08:01:48 am »
Was a beautiful day yesterday in Central Texas so decided to clean up the Monterey and get it ready for the boating season....

Last time I took it out, the stereo was working but sounded like a couple speakers dropped out. My buddy is an audio guru so had him come out, turned out there was a bad wire connecting the head unit to the amp.  Also said sound would improve with a larger amp so he installed a monster Kicker 8 channel amp and now we are rocking!!!

It would have been a wiring nightmare for me, wires were everywhere. 
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Online Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1769 on: April 27, 2022, 09:58:24 am »

Anything like this eBay item number:373704097238
Seller: cxmt-70
https://www.ebay.com/itm/373704097238?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item57027ffdd6:g:LEoAAOSwgwNhQBDQ&amdata=enc%3AAQAGAAAA8HGgFeUQdRcWkSkUAwFntdg3vTjl%2Bco34s%2BHEzMx72wHndCT6rk7gGx%2F%2F9SwMZRCdGzlED18VphrEHBunZezoAbT13NPqcD8KXf7amOQn0IjCtr%2F%2BIWM4pgMPtblxtjXnpEN8sgJVxhZmub4kmtf5oAhEMtL4yrFzMofHMcapHOxWab44ykXUyVjKT3bl9DAA%2FbxZ6UrsXzdDo6bYiAWBpCra7xF08j5C%2FiffWiOVdw5KZbQm2Qh0ErltACoJCngmDcNSAJy98p3G%2FUErbOaSIvC6D5cT%2FFQjV%2BRxBxEXpwH7%2Foh3N90bw1jXNzZqZvR7A%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABFBM1KGQv41g

Offline Bankerdanny

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #1770 on: April 27, 2022, 10:30:48 am »

I borrowed a friend's Avalanche last fall to move the camper my girlfriend bought. It has the port you are talking about. I bought a controller and the pigtail from AutoZone. It took me 15 minutes to install. The GMC Envoy we bought to tow with is pre-wired for the controller, but for some reason GM decided it only needed the wires, not the connector, so I will need to buy a connector to attach to the wires to hook up my controller.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Online grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1771 on: April 27, 2022, 10:44:44 am »

I borrowed a friend's Avalanche last fall to move the camper my girlfriend bought. It has the port you are talking about. I bought a controller and the pigtail from AutoZone. It took me 15 minutes to install. The GMC Envoy we bought to tow with is pre-wired for the controller, but for some reason GM decided it only needed the wires, not the connector, so I will need to buy a connector to attach to the wires to hook up my controller.

How is that Envoy project coming along Danny ?

Offline Bankerdanny

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #1772 on: April 27, 2022, 12:31:46 pm »

How is that Envoy project coming along Danny ?

I have the transmission about 1/3 reassembled. Once it was apart I found a couple more parts with excess wear I had to replace, then I damaged 2 bushings trying to replace them. But I am in the home stretch reassembly wise and should have it finished this week.

Online Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1773 on: April 27, 2022, 03:52:12 pm »
Organized the shelves in my new work van, a Transit 150 low top AWD. Ford delivered a few before cancelling the rest of the order, again...

Offline strynboen

• Old Timer
    • http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=a13mq4rnt64bcvnt5c1qcj87k5&/topic,60973.0.html
« Reply #1774 on: April 28, 2022, 11:44:08 am »
I dropped my little truck off to get a Roadworthy Certificate inspection which will include replacing all 4 rims and tyres as the PO installed incorrect size/offset rims on it and threw away the original wheels. Anyway while it won’t be cheap I’ll be keeping the truck forever, so it’ll be worth the expense. ;D   looks like hilux aftermarked rims...yoy just need a hand pump crane..i have bayed a chinese one i vill fit,,somday...??

Terry's Triton 18 Apr 2022 9 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr
« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 11:48:59 am by strynboen »
i kan not speak english/but trying!!
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60973.0
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=144758.0
i hate all this v-w.... vords