Author Topic: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?  (Read 169859 times)

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
Re: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?
« Reply #2775 on: June 30, 2023, 05:18:04 am »
Dave, glad it is a decent quality to good quality product. Hope the hardness of the metal is right for it to be long lived.
David
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #2776 on: July 02, 2023, 03:09:39 pm »
  I'm working on my Firebirds stainless steel exhaust some more. Getting over the axle is a pain but I really don't want it under the axle. Film at 11.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #2777 on: July 02, 2023, 03:43:14 pm »
  I'm working on my Firebirds stainless steel exhaust some more. Getting over the axle is a pain but I really don't want it under the axle. Film at 11.

Don,how's that project car coming-along? The exhaust one of the last things before you complete it ?
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2778 on: July 02, 2023, 05:53:06 pm »
 No, I have the cart entirely before the horse but I want to do the chassis work, then take the body back off to complete the welding. This exhaust is one of the things I wanted to fit up before the fuel and brake lines go in.
 I'm most proud of the frame connectors. The ones we can buy are a flat plate with a 2x3 tube coming off of it. I made mine of 2-2x3" tubes that start at the rear of the Art Morrison front subframe as a parallelogram and merge into a square tube that ties into the rear subframe. 
  The bag in the pic. contains the powder coated gas tank, the round thing is the back of the reproduction Edsel axle housing. I have a weld on axle brace but haven't checked to see if it fits yet.
  That Chinese "mandrel bent" 304 stainless tube doesn't maintain its shape in the bends but it's what I could find at the time. That leads to some wide weld gaps when I get close to a bend. I'll notch some joints and close them up.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2023, 06:19:05 pm by Don R »

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #2779 on: July 02, 2023, 06:07:20 pm »
No, I have the cart entirely before the horse but I want to do the chassis work, then take the body back off to complete the welding. This exhaust is one of the things I wanted to fit up before the fuel and brake lines go in.
 I'm most proud of the frame connectors. The ones we can buy are a flat plate with a 2x3 tube coming off of it. I made mine of 2-2x3" tubes that start at the rear of the Art Morrison front subframe as a parallelogram and merge into a square tube that ties into the rear subframe. 
  The bag in the pic. contains the powder coated gas tank, the round thing is the back of the reproduction Edsel axle housing. I have a weld on axle brace but haven't checked to see if it fits yet.
  That Chinese "mandrel bent" 304 stainless tube doesn't maintain its shape in the bends but it's what I could find at the time. That leads to some wide weld gaps when I get close to a bend. I'll notch some joints and close them up.

Don,you'll have a new(1969'?)Firebird that'll last you another lifetime.  ;)
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #2780 on: July 09, 2023, 12:55:56 am »
not mine but a mate just bought a 2020 canam,he wanted to run through the drive belt replacement so hes ok with it trackside etc,piece of piss with the correct tool,he has a spare belt zip tied under the seats,the trailer once had proper bigger wheels on it but they rubbed the floor,were gonna cut the floor and make a hump for bigger wheels,those just look wrong plus the tyres are cheap arse things i reckon are over loaded or close to it?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2023, 12:59:47 am by dave500 »

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #2781 on: July 09, 2023, 06:51:27 am »
those just look wrong plus the tyres are cheap arse things i reckon are over loaded or close to it?

Looks like a disaster waiting to happen to me.  I see trailers with wheels like that alongside the roads with a wheel missing all the time .  Probably has cheap bearings to boot, and a lot is being asked of them at road speeds.  Wouldn't be hard to figure the RPMs, but the number will be high unless he just pokes along all the time.
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #2782 on: July 09, 2023, 01:11:29 pm »
Yep, definitely the wron wheels on that thing, in our holiday season I’m always seeing boat trailers on the side of the road with missing wheels. All those things are good for is hauling bikes, and not 2 or 3 big ones.

I saw a fool towing a dirt bike on Saturday, he’d gone to the trouble of completely wrapping the bike in plastic so as not to get any stone chips, but had only tied down the front of the bike, and every time he went over a bump the back wheel jumped 6 inches. Luckily he pulled into a driveway (I presume to drop it off) but on a longer trip it was another accident waiting to happen. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #2783 on: July 09, 2023, 02:04:48 pm »
I'll have to chime in with it's the wrong trailer. Those cheapo trailers are terrifying, it almost looks bowed down at each end from the load. What's the gross weight rating of the axle. We have a 4500lb axle for our 12' trailer. We used to run 14" wheels but when we redecked it we cut out the fenders and welded in 15" fenders so we can run 15" tires with a higher weight rating.
No more blowouts on 2 day 1500 mile runs to South Dakota. 8)
Never Give Up - Never Surrender

The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0                                            1971 MGB/GT
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport                          1972 MGB/GT
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD                                   1985 GMC S15
1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre
1984 Honda VF 1000F Interceptor
1990 Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans
1994 Kawasaki Concours ZG 1000A9
2005 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #2784 on: July 09, 2023, 03:16:28 pm »
trailers rated at 2000kg gross and has independant coil suspension,the buggy is 750kg.

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
« Reply #2785 on: July 09, 2023, 09:05:31 pm »
Yep, definitely the wron wheels on that thing, in our holiday season I’m always seeing boat trailers on the side of the road with missing wheels. All those things are good for is hauling bikes, and not 2 or 3 big ones.

I saw a fool towing a dirt bike on Saturday, he’d gone to the trouble of completely wrapping the bike in plastic so as not to get any stone chips, but had only tied down the front of the bike, and every time he went over a bump the back wheel jumped 6 inches. Luckily he pulled into a driveway (I presume to drop it off) but on a longer trip it was another accident waiting to happen. ;D
I made that mistake once on a dirt bike.....
Cam buckle straps and only attached to the bars. Though couldn't hurt only going 5 miles.  I hit the brakes hard and the bike slid into the front of the trailer and I coasted to a stop.... Curvy hill roads near my house are rough lol.

Sent from my LE2127 using Tapatalk

slow Progress 74 cb550.

Poor boy chop 73 CB500 chop

Future project 77 Cb750 Amen Savior

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2786 on: July 10, 2023, 12:03:41 am »
 I added some angle iron to my brothers farm store trailer, I borrow it once in a while. Recently I asked how old it is because I know it's never had new tires or any service except what I do to it. They are 12" but are the high pressure ones. We aren't sure except too old to tow nice bikes on. I'll buy it new tires soon.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2787 on: July 10, 2023, 04:30:03 am »

I made that mistake once on a dirt bike.....
Cam buckle straps and only attached to the bars. Though couldn't hurt only going 5 miles.  I hit the brakes hard and the bike slid into the front of the trailer and I coasted to a stop.... Curvy hill roads near my house are rough lol.

Sent from my LE2127 using Tapatalk

Ha ha, we've all been there mate, my cousin generously offered to drop off his dad's (my uncle's) old trailer to collect my bikes from storage when we bought this house. Uncle Ivor probably built that trailer in the 50's, and I didn't think about the trailer ball receiver being pre-metric (2 inch - 50.8mm) and my trailer ball being 50mm.

I hooked the trailer up, (and luckily, hooked up the safety chains) and took off. Around the second or third set of traffic lights, I felt a distinct bump on the back of my old Ford station wagon, where the hitch had come off the ball and banged into the back of the car. Minimal damage, no bikes were hurt (I hadn't picked them up at this stage so the trailer was still empty) and I borrowed my father in law's old 2 inch trailer tow ball, and was good to go again. ;D 
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2788 on: July 14, 2023, 11:32:14 pm »
I was hoping to be doing a road trip to Wodonga, 200 miles north, to collect my latest bike purchase today, but the owner was called away to work away from home and won't be back until mid next week. Oh well, I'd been thinking about giving the little truck an oil change anyway, so I drove over to "Supercheap Auto" and bought a jug of Penrite oil and a new filter, plus a filter wrench that actually works, and some degreaser.

'Twas the easiest oil change I've ever done, didn't need to jack it up, just cleaned the drain pan so I could check for any metal afterwards, slid it underneath, dropped the sump plug (not in the oil pan like I've done too many times over the years) and the filter, and while it drained I pumped up the tyres, which were all down around 8 psi since last time I checked, last year.

I added some of my favourite oil additive (Pro-Ma) and ran the engine for 30 minutes and was happy that the engine was running smooth and quiet. Probably good that I got it done before the road trip next week. ;D

Triton oil change 15 July 2023 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
« Reply #2789 on: July 15, 2023, 09:31:17 am »
Not today but very recently. I had my GL1800 "Traxxionized". New front suspension, steering head bearings,  and rear shock with a braided steel line. Not cheap but what a difference in handling!
https://traxxion.com/?make=3258&model=3625&year_id=3633&post_type=product&action=vpf-search

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2790 on: July 15, 2023, 12:59:20 pm »
I was hoping to be doing a road trip to Wodonga, 200 miles north, to collect my latest bike purchase today, but the owner was called away to work away from home and won't be back until mid next week. Oh well, I'd been thinking about giving the little truck an oil change anyway, so I drove over to "Supercheap Auto" and bought a jug of Penrite oil and a new filter, plus a filter wrench that actually works, and some degreaser.

'Twas the easiest oil change I've ever done, didn't need to jack it up, just cleaned the drain pan so I could check for any metal afterwards, slid it underneath, dropped the sump plug (not in the oil pan like I've done too many times over the years) and the filter, and while it drained I pumped up the tyres, which were all down around 8 psi since last time I checked, last year.

I added some of my favourite oil additive (Pro-Ma) and ran the engine for 30 minutes and was happy that the engine was running smooth and quiet. Probably good that I got it done before the road trip next week. ;D

Terry…. I did the annual oil change on my Volvo C30 ($2500 car two years ago, still running fine). It’s a bit of a pig, it still uses a cartridge filter. I do it myself, because I can only imagine the mess a “technician” at the local rapid lube would make, when faced with something so “different”! If you prop the filter 1/2 way out of the housing and leave it alone for 10 minutes to drip, no problem.

What does pi$$ me off is that what I pay for the oil and cartridge is almost exactly the same as what a visit to the rapid lube shop! I picked up six litres of Mobil One last time and ouch!

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2791 on: July 15, 2023, 03:07:14 pm »

Terry…. I did the annual oil change on my Volvo C30 ($2500 car two years ago, still running fine). It’s a bit of a pig, it still uses a cartridge filter. I do it myself, because I can only imagine the mess a “technician” at the local rapid lube would make, when faced with something so “different”! If you prop the filter 1/2 way out of the housing and leave it alone for 10 minutes to drip, no problem.

What does pi$$ me off is that what I pay for the oil and cartridge is almost exactly the same as what a visit to the rapid lube shop! I picked up six litres of Mobil One last time and ouch!

Thanks John, I hate taking my cars or bikes to shops so much, that I try to do all my own work, because I just get sick of the lies that those fcukers tell me to try to upsell everything.

My 95 year old mum told me that my oldest sister is taking the crappy old Subaru I gave her years ago in for its annual service, and as my mum pays for it, they’ll probably charge her a minimum of $1000 and fill her head with bullsh1t about all the work that they didn’t actually do.

My sister doesn’t care because she’s not paying for it (married a lawyer then divorced him, so walked away penniless) and mum doesn’t care because she needs my sis to drive her everywhere, but it pisses me off that they’re paying these scumbags money for work that either doesn’t need doing, or just isn’t done.

And when I tell them that they’re getting hosed, they say, “No, we’ve known Graham (their POS mechanic) for years and he’s really honest” I worked with that cnut back in the 70’s and he was a loud mouthed thief then, and Leopards, generally don’t change their spots….. ;D
« Last Edit: July 15, 2023, 05:16:17 pm by Terry in Australia »

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2792 on: July 15, 2023, 04:39:58 pm »

Thanks John, I hate taking my cars or bikes to shops so much, that I try to do all my own work, because I just get sick of the lies that those fcukers tell me to try to upsell everything.

My 95 year old mum told me that my oldest sister is taking the crappy old Subaru I gave her years ago in for its annual service, and as my mum pays for it, they’ll probably charge her a minimum of $1000 and fill her head with bullsh1t about all the work that they didn’t actually do.

My sister doesn’t care because she’s not paying for it (married a lawyer then divorced him, so walked away penniless) and mum doesn’t care because she needs my sis to drive her everywhere, but it pisses me off that they’re paying these scumbags money for work that either doesn’t need doing, or just isn’t done.

And when I tell them that they’re getting hosed, they say, “No, we’ve known Graham (their POS mechanic) for years and he’s really honest” I worked with that cnut back in the 70’s and he was a koud mouthed thief then, and Leopards, generally don’t change their spots….. ;D

Forgot to mention how much I like that truck! When the old FORD plow dies (imminent) I’m going to find something similar.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2793 on: July 15, 2023, 05:36:35 pm »

And when I tell them that they’re getting hosed, they say, “No, we’ve known Graham (their POS mechanic) for years and he’s really honest” I worked with that cnut back in the 70’s and he was a koud mouthed thief then, and Leopards, generally don’t change their spots….. ;D

Forgot to mention how much I like that truck! When the old FORD plow dies (imminent) I’m going to find something similar.

Thanks John, I love it. It's only 2 wheel drive (well, one wheel drive actually, no LSD diff as I found out when reversing it up my sloping wet front lawn awhile ago) but there are 4WD variants, turbo diesels, twin cabs (but with smaller tubs, so no good for hauling complete bikes) etc. Mine is just a little cramped for my 6'2" height, and it doesn't have aircon (it was the basic "Poverty Pack" model) or electric windows etc, but there were plenty that had all the fruit, and I don't drive it often enough to piss me off.

Fuel economy is great, the little 2.4 litre engine is only revving at 1600 RPM @ 60 MPH, so is better on fuel than even my old Subaru. Bloody easy to work on, I replaced the head and cams etc last year and bought the whole assembly, brand new on Ebay Oz for $1100. I also replaced the injectors, but in hindsight there was probably nothing wrong with them. My odometer stopped working a few weeks ago at 229,999 Km (144,000 miles) and shouldn't have needed a new head, but I'm guessing a PO had snapped a cam belt and done some damage to the valve guides, causing lots of smoke. The 2.4 litre 4G64 engines are great, and were used in many Mitsubishi, Nissan and Hyundai vehicles, including the turbo charged Evo's, so lots of scope for improvement, I'd like to eventually turbo it, but it doesn't need anything for normal road use, it goes just as fast as the cars around it, and is a comfortable ride with good brakes. Unless I finally find a nice V8 ford or GM-H ute with aircon, going cheap, I'll probably keep this one until I die. ;D

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2794 on: July 15, 2023, 06:45:20 pm »
Something about that truck just looks right.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2795 on: July 18, 2023, 07:31:51 pm »
Something about that truck just looks right.

Yep, I’m biased of course but I think they got uglier as they evolved. That model lasted with only minor cosmetic changes for 10 years and the engines have been around for at least 20 John, so parts are plentiful and people are always surprised when I tell them how old it is.

I rang my insurance company and told them how much money I’d spent on it with the engine parts and new tub etc, and they were happy to insure it for a couple of thousand more than it’s cost me. I’m really looking forward to the road trip to pick up my latest motorcycle purchase, it’ll be nice to load/unload a dirt bike this time, the last two trips were hauling CB750’s, and I had my heart in my mouth both times. ;D

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2796 on: July 19, 2023, 07:41:12 am »
Terry….. I’ve probably told this story before this, but when I was 16 (1970) I had a summer job for 2-3 years working at a Datsun dealership. It was a tiny, corner garage that later exploded into a much larger operation as Datsuns and Hondas hit our shores.
I couldn’t drive my parents cars because the insurance was too expensive, but when the dealership received their first, tiny Datsun pickup, I was covered as an “employee”. I got to do all the running around for parts, lunches, booze and cigarettes for the owner etc! He even let me take it home at night! To this day, small trucks make me smile!!!!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 02:39:31 pm by BenelliSEI »

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2797 on: July 19, 2023, 03:05:34 pm »
Terry….. I’ve probably told this story before this, but when I was 16 (1970) I had a summer job for 2-3 years working at a Datsun dealership. It was a tiny, corner garage that later exploded into a much larger operation as Datsuns and Hondas hit our shores.
I couldn’t drive my parents cars because the insurance was too expensive, but when the dealership received their first, tiny Datsun pickup, I was covered as an “employee”. I got to do all the running around for parts, lunches, booze and cigarettes for the owner etc! He even let me take it home at night! To this day, small trucks make me smile!!!!

Fantastic John, my cuz had a Suzuki dealership and leased one just like that for delivery work. As an aside, he once drove it to Melbourne to drop off a riding mower. The old guy had him put it in his garage for him, and inside the garage was a 1928 Erskine car, in mint, if not dusty condition.

The old guy had been in both world wars, and in between had bought the Erskine new, and drove it around the US, India and Europe before coming home after WW2, and driving it right up to the late 1960’s. My cuz asked if it was for sale, but as expected he said “no, it’ll stay here until I die”.

Fast forward to the early 1980’s, Rod gets a phone call from the old guy’s wife to say that he’d passed, and did Rod still want the car? Rod replied that he’d love it, but had recently married and bought a house and basically, was broke. The little old lady replied that her husband had told her that Rod was to have it, if he still wanted it, for free.

Rod’s still got it, and regularly drives it, still with the original paint and interior, with only new tyres, battery, rings and a cylinder hone required, which isn’t bad for a near 100 year old car. ;D

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
« Reply #2798 on: July 19, 2023, 03:36:50 pm »
New master and front brakes came in for the 61 GMC today.
slow Progress 74 cb550.

Poor boy chop 73 CB500 chop

Future project 77 Cb750 Amen Savior

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2799 on: July 20, 2023, 06:29:47 am »

Fantastic John, my cuz had a Suzuki dealership and leased one just like that for delivery work. As an aside, he once drove it to Melbourne to drop off a riding mower. The old guy had him put it in his garage for him, and inside the garage was a 1928 Erskine car, in mint, if not dusty condition.

The old guy had been in both world wars, and in between had bought the Erskine new, and drove it around the US, India and Europe before coming home after WW2, and driving it right up to the late 1960’s. My cuz asked if it was for sale, but as expected he said “no, it’ll stay here until I die”.

Fast forward to the early 1980’s, Rod gets a phone call from the old guy’s wife to say that he’d passed, and did Rod still want the car? Rod replied that he’d love it, but had recently married and bought a house and basically, was broke. The little old lady replied that her husband had told her that Rod was to have it, if he still wanted it, for free.

Rod’s still got it, and regularly drives it, still with the original paint and interior, with only new tyres, battery, rings and a cylinder hone required, which isn’t bad for a near 100 year old car. ;D

Checked out some details on the Erskine. Neat machine and even a better it’s still running. I’ve searched for an old Datsun, one day I will find one just like that!