Author Topic: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?  (Read 168558 times)

Alan F. and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
Re: What did you do to your non-motorcycle vehicle today?
« Reply #3700 on: September 26, 2024, 10:02:57 am »
Best of luck on the track John and enjoy the season wrap up. Endurance racing can be grueling I'm told... definitely will be pushing the car hard for the finish of the season. Will you do an oil change between the 8 hour races?
Fresh brake pads for each race?
Do you power bleed the brakes, flush the fluid, when changing out pads? Are you using racing brake fluid or a good Dot 4?

The car gets new pads and tires every 8 hours. We’re using a racing DOT3 fluid (we won a huge jug at a race last year) that seems impervious to anything. We flushed in fresh yesterday and will leave it for the weekend. We also pull the enormous K&N air filter every race. It’s on the end of a long tube, hidden up under the RF side intake on the bumper. Amazing how much gravel, dirt and mostly tire rubber get collected on it!

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #3701 on: September 26, 2024, 01:08:50 pm »
On the way. Weather looks good!

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #3702 on: September 27, 2024, 07:24:51 am »
Best of luck on the track John and enjoy the season wrap up. Endurance racing can be grueling I'm told... definitely will be pushing the car hard for the finish of the season. Will you do an oil change between the 8 hour races?
Fresh brake pads for each race?
Do you power bleed the brakes, flush the fluid, when changing out pads? Are you using racing brake fluid or a good Dot 4?
Amazing how much gravel, dirt and mostly tire rubber get collected on it!

"Marbles"!!  Good luck at the track...
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #3703 on: September 29, 2024, 10:18:43 pm »
   Like other beautiful things sometimes I just stop and look at it. It's got a few bald spots and some repair needed but lately guys are trying to talk me into leaving it alone. I'm tired of the flames but there they are.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #3704 on: September 30, 2024, 12:17:05 am »
   Like other beautiful things sometimes I just stop and look at it. It's got a few bald spots and some repair needed but lately guys are trying to talk me into leaving it alone. I'm tired of the flames but there they are.

Nice classic style.
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #3705 on: September 30, 2024, 01:06:31 pm »

Truly lovely. Leave it!

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #3706 on: September 30, 2024, 01:12:40 pm »
Weather was excellent at Shannonville.  We all ran a bit in the morning practice and then Tim and I did the Friday afternoon four hour enduro together. We finished 4th OA and won GT3. Alan and Jeff joined in for the eight hour races on Saturday and Sunday and we had the same results. Only Team to get the "hat trick" of wins for the weekend. Refuelling and driver change pits tops all took less than three minutes (we have to be stopped for 5 minutes). Used up three sets of brake pads, eight tires, and +1000 litres of gas.

Long time friends Brad and Dean Baker showed up with their sons in a brand new BRZ that had some teething problems but got sorted and ran well. I've now raced on track with three generations of Clubines and Bakers! Another old friend,Doug Durrell, has joined a Team with a Honda Accord and they had some good runs, after dealing with a brake issue. Great to see a few VARAC members. After +6 hours in the race car, my neck and shoulders are surprisingly sore! All for three posters and 12 hats……. The four of us over-celebrated with a nice dinner in Belleville at a Montana’s and got home very late. Good Times.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2024, 01:22:32 pm by BenelliSEI »

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3707 on: September 30, 2024, 02:03:54 pm »
 8) :) ;)
Must have been a very good,enjoyable experience.

edit: is your car front or rear wheel drive ?

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #3708 on: September 30, 2024, 04:07:59 pm »

IS300 Grand Am race car built by Lexus around 2003. Straight six cylinder, variable cam timing, six speed box, rear drive. Supra disc brakes all round. About 275 hp.

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3709 on: September 30, 2024, 04:21:01 pm »

IS300 Grand Am race car built by Lexus around 2003. Straight six cylinder, variable cam timing, six speed box, rear drive. Supra disc brakes all round. About 275 hp.

Very good  :)

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #3710 on: October 01, 2024, 01:20:51 am »
On Sunday, after putting it off for a month or so, I finally summed up to courage to replace the timing belt, and all the ancillary belts in the wife's little Hyundai. I bought it from my cousin when it only had 30,000 Km (20,000 miles) and it's now done 152,000 (95000 miles) and I recently discovered that it should have had a timing belt change at 80,000 Km (50,000 miles) oops.....

Hyundai cam belt change 30 September 2024 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Dave gave me a "heads up" on the pissed off thread and he was quite right, although being an "East/West" 4 cylinder front wheel drive car, I had to remove a pile of parts (including a wheel and an engine mount) to then remove all the outer belts, and the timing belt covers. Of course it was also cold and windy, with rain blowing into the carport and over my tools, but after only 5(+) hours of crawling around the wet concrete, I had the new belt on, the plastic covers, the engine mount back in, and a few things left to do yesterday. 

Hyundai cam belt change 30 September 2024 2 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Interestingly the old cambelt was in good condition, with no cracking or rubber swarf in the cam cover. I replaced both tensioner pulleys not that there appeared to be anything wrong with the old ones, but didn't bother changing the water pump, because I've never had any issues with the OEM one that was still on the car after 22 years. I finished it by lunch time yesterday and wanted to go for a ride on my bike, but was so sore I just collapsed in my comfy chair and snoozed. She drove it around all day today with no issues so I'm calling it good, and hopefully I won't have to do it again for another 22 years. ;D

Hyundai cam belt change 30 September 2024 1 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr 

I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #3711 on: October 01, 2024, 01:25:45 am »
good job Terry,you and I are now bonded Hyundai brothers!if you get a belt squeal you cant stop it might be the balancer slipping on its rubber,i only discovered ours slipped when the timing marks didnt make sense last cam belt i did!

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3712 on: October 01, 2024, 03:54:45 am »
good job Terry,you and I are now bonded Hyundai brothers!if you get a belt squeal you cant stop it might be the balancer slipping on its rubber,i only discovered ours slipped when the timing marks didnt make sense last cam belt i did!

Thanks Dave, I remembered that you'd mentioned that so I checked mine and it looked good. I really hope I don't have to do anything on that little cun., er, I mean car, again. I pinched a nerve in my back on Sunday and it's still reminding me that I need to buy a car hoist so I can work on/under cars at much more comfortable heights. No room for a proper 2 post hoist, but maybe one of those ones that you slide under each side of the car that lifts it up a couple of feet? Might be a retirement present, to me......... ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline CycleRanger

• No comment about being an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas Shop Manual Advocate
« Reply #3713 on: October 01, 2024, 07:06:16 am »
Interestingly the old cambelt was in good condition, with no cracking or rubber swarf in the cam cover. I replaced both tensioner pulleys not that there appeared to be anything wrong with the old ones, but didn't bother changing the water pump, because I've never had any issues with the OEM one that was still on the car after 22 years.

Yeah, when I changed the timing belt on my Nissan truck I skipped the water pump because it looked fine.. Four months later it started leaking and I had to tear everything apart again to change it.  :P
On my Tundra I've changed the timing belt twice and both times I removed the perfectly fine water pump and replaced it.

Speaking of the Tundra, I pulled it out of the garage on Sunday to give it a wash and found this. Grrrr. I found a piece of metal, looks like a wire staple. I must have picked it up Saturday. At least it wasn't in the side wall this time.
Do you have a copy of the Honda Shop Manual or Parts List for your bike? Get one here:
https://www.honda4fun.com/materiale/documentazione-tecnica
CB750K5        '79 XL250s     CL350K3
CB750K3        '76 XS650      '76 CJ360T

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3714 on: October 01, 2024, 08:35:04 am »

Thanks Dave, I remembered that you'd mentioned that so I checked mine and it looked good. I really hope I don't have to do anything on that little cun., er, I mean car, again. I pinched a nerve in my back on Sunday and it's still reminding me that I need to buy a car hoist so I can work on/under cars at much more comfortable heights. No room for a proper 2 post hoist, but maybe one of those ones that you slide under each side of the car that lifts it up a couple of feet? Might be a retirement present, to me......... ;D

A car hoist is a wonderful idea.  :)

Offline Magpie

• Old Timer
« Reply #3715 on: October 01, 2024, 09:43:06 am »
Brought it to it's new home. Lots of love needed here.

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #3716 on: October 01, 2024, 10:56:40 am »

Nice, it's way cleaner than ours, we have to finish up a couple more things before we get to the 83' CB 1100F. Yours looks ready to ride. 8)
Never Give Up - Never Surrender

The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0                                            1971 MGB/GT
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport                          1972 MGB/GT
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD                                   1985 GMC S15
1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre
1984 Honda VF 1000F Interceptor
1990 Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans
1994 Kawasaki Concours ZG 1000A9
2005 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #3717 on: October 01, 2024, 11:57:48 am »

Cliff….. well done, good find!

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #3718 on: October 01, 2024, 07:36:34 pm »
Terry, congrats on the car work!
I hate working in cold rainy weather...makes everything hurt more...
Cliff, that is really nice, she will look even nicer after you have cleaned and polished her up ..
David- back in the desert SW!

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3719 on: October 03, 2024, 04:49:00 pm »
Thanks David, the weather here is getting better, it was great on Saturday when I rode 80 miles on the K0, but Sunday was back to winter. Yesterday was magnificent, but I was "working from home" so I sneaked out and mowed the lawn in the afternoon and couldn't believe that I was sweating when I was only wearing a T shirt. (and pants, of course...)

I was supposed to work in the barracks on Wednesday but was given a priority job on Tuesday to collect a piece of military equipment from a big Army base 60 miles north of my place, so I fired up the Ford Falcon ute and drove up and picked it up.

Falcon ute Wednesday 2 October 2024 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

I then drove it to one of our repairers in the inner suburbs, and dropped it off.

Falcon ute Wednesday 2 October 2024 1 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

And then drove home again. All up, did around 150 miles and the Ford just purred along. The more I drive it, the more I like it. We're not allowed to go to work in the barracks today as there's supposed to be another pro-Palestinian protest outside the barracks, so I've taken the day off and will take the wife and 92 year old mother in law out for lunch. Any day out of the office is a good day, I reckon. ;D

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #3720 on: October 03, 2024, 05:26:30 pm »
Terry….. That ‘Ute looks great! The Volvo C30 had a front headlamp burned out. They are a strange one, with a ballast screwed on top of the lamp socket. Tested the lamp by switching them and thankfully it was just the  bulb. Ordered a pair on Amazon (less than /2 the price of a local store). Amused they came with a white linen glove to avoid touching the lamp! All fixed and I discovered this must be the second one too fail. I now have TWO spares……

Offline lash

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3721 on: October 04, 2024, 12:17:21 pm »
+1 on that truck! Wish I could get one here..
Analog mind in a digital world..

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3722 on: October 04, 2024, 04:14:37 pm »
Thanks guys, “Ute’s” were very popular here in Oz until Ford and GM-H pulled out and closed down their factories in Oz in 2016. Mine’s a 2002 model running on dedicated gas (a mixture of propane and butane) but there were also gasoline powered models in either 4 litre straight 6 or 5 litre Windsor V8 models. I bought mine from an 84 year old guy who had given up on it because of an electrical problem that caused the computer not to recognise the signal from the “smart” key so it wouldn’t start.

I got it cheap and was ‘rapt with its condition, it looked more like a 2 year old car than a 22 year old car. It had quite a few issues so the original purchase price was more than quadrupled with the necessary repairs, but it’s back to “as new” now, so I’m really happy with it. The only thing I want to do is add cruise control because it’s annoying on a long drive constantly checking and adjusting my speed. Apparently my model (series 3) has all the sensors already fitted so I just need a few parts to do the conversion.

LPG was really popular here when it was built and is around half the price of gasoline, so it’s quite economical too, but there aren’t many LPG vehicles here anymore so none of the new gas stations sell it, which might be a problem in years to come so if I keep it long enough I might have to convert it to gasoline, which would be a pity as LPG cars run much cleaner than gasoline with virtually no carbon deposits, allowing for longer intervals between oil changes. ;D

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3723 on: October 04, 2024, 07:25:13 pm »
Thanks guys, “Ute’s” were very popular here in Oz until Ford and GM-H pulled out and closed down their factories in Oz in 2016. Mine’s a 2002 model running on dedicated gas (a mixture of propane and butane) but there were also gasoline powered models in either 4 litre straight 6 or 5 litre Windsor V8 models. I bought mine from an 84 year old guy who had given up on it because of an electrical problem that caused the computer not to recognise the signal from the “smart” key so it wouldn’t start.

I got it cheap and was ‘rapt with its condition, it looked more like a 2 year old car than a 22 year old car. It had quite a few issues so the original purchase price was more than quadrupled with the necessary repairs, but it’s back to “as new” now, so I’m really happy with it. The only thing I want to do is add cruise control because it’s annoying on a long drive constantly checking and adjusting my speed. Apparently my model (series 3) has all the sensors already fitted so I just need a few parts to do the conversion.

LPG was really popular here when it was built and is around half the price of gasoline, so it’s quite economical too, but there aren’t many LPG vehicles here anymore so none of the new gas stations sell it, which might be a problem in years to come so if I keep it long enough I might have to convert it to gasoline, which would be a pity as LPG cars run much cleaner than gasoline with virtually no carbon deposits, allowing for longer intervals between oil changes. ;D

Terry,when will you install your cruise control ? also where do you buy your LPG when you're 'on the road' ?

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3724 on: October 04, 2024, 07:46:45 pm »
Well following on from my replacing the timing and ancillary belts on the wife's 2002 Hyundai Accent last weekend, today I turned to her other Hyundai, a 1996 "Excel". I bought the little green car in 2002 and when I bought her the silver accent in 2009 I presumed that she'd let me get rid of the Excel, but no, she wanted to keep both. Great.

I bought the Excel from a female that I worked with, who was going to traded it in on a Toyota 4WD. The dealership had only offered her $2000 for the Excel as a trade-in, so I offered her $2100 and she happily accepted. She was happy, but the dealership wasn't, as they would probably have cleaned it up and sold it for $5K. She and her husband were alcoholics, and it was a volatile relationship. The Excel's windscreen was cracked from when he threw a beer bottle at her when she was driving it, and it had a couple of small dents from when he'd kicked it. It was filthy and stunk of cigarettes, it had one service (over and above the initial service the previous owner had done before he traded it in, so the dipstick was stained with the dirty oil, had 4 unroadworthy tyres and a flat spare, after doing 101,000 Km (60,000 miles) on the original tyres.

I gave it a good clean, gave it two oil changes in the first month, had another windscreen installed, and 5 new tyres. You'd think that a car that was that poorly maintained wouldn't last, but these things are amazing, in the last 22 years it's been totally reliable, and has only needed one battery, wiper blades, a timing belt, a couple more tyres (we've done another 160,000 km (100,000 miles) a set of brake pads, a few oil and filter changes and that's about it. It needs a new exhaust and the aircon re-gassed, and I'll probably get that done if we keep it much longer, along with a coat of paint. (it looks like sh1t with the clearcoat mostly gone)

Anyhoo, after not being driven for several months, I thought I'd better give it a clean and get it running in case I muffed something on the silver accent last weekend, and after washing and vacuuming it, charging the battery, pumping up the tyres and checking all the fluids, I took it for a drive. It ran well with a can of Berrimans in the 1/2 tank of ancient fuel, mixed with half a tank of fresh 98 RON fuel. One item of concern though, is that the temp gauge was doing some weird stuff. It would go up to about the 3/4 mark, then suddenly drop back to the "normal" halfway mark.

Sounded like bad thermostat to me, so this morning I pulled the (original 28 year old) thermostat and tested it in a pot of boiling water, and sure enough, it wasn't opening. I rang a couple of auto parts stores and they didn't have a new thermostat in store, so Alex at Burson's ordered me a new one, and I'll have it on Monday. While I had the thermostat out I removed the top radiator hose and back-flushed the old coolant, and refilled it with new coolant. The new thermostat and a new radiator cap on Monday, and it should be good to go for another 22 years! ;D

Hyundai Excel coolant flush 5 October 2024 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr