Author Topic: project cafe  (Read 32203 times)

Ryan 550k

Re: Re-start project cafe
« Reply #175 on: April 04, 2009, 02:40:18 am »
+1 for B

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #176 on: April 04, 2009, 06:50:58 am »
Dang there's a lot of Hoosiers on this forum!

If you want signals, I guess they have to go on B. YOu know...some flush mounts may be nice on that bodywork, rather than bug eyes on stalks. What are you doing up front? A little cafe fairing could take flush mounts too maybe.

http://www.1tail.com/sa/c/Universal_Flush_Mount_and_Mini_Flush_Mount_Lamps.htm

I've been in and out of your thread, so i apologize if you've covered this...What caught my eye is that you dropped the frame rails under the seat. But it looks like just the front of the rails, not the back? Any reason for that? Clearance for your pipes?

I've got a 75CB750F I'm thiking of cafeing someday before I die I hope. One thing I always disliked about CBs as cafes (see my Avatar) is the feeling of being up on the bike rather than in the bike, like the 60s European bikes. So I was thinking of dropping the frame rails under the seat front and back on mine. I'd be making my own oil tank and skimpy electrics so there is room.

PS: On the signals, I just noticed you said you have LEDs, those would work too. Just not the stalk mounted types.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 06:53:12 am by MCRider »
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

masonryman

« Reply #177 on: April 04, 2009, 03:00:08 pm »
Hey MC

They are flush mount LEDs, they will come in from inside and only stick out about 1/2"

That is funny you said that about sitting on top of the bike, That is one of the reasons I gave a year and half, or so, ago. That and I am pretty short, well not pretty just short.

I know, I have drug this thing out way to long and  posting things in real time, people loose interest.

If you go back 2 or 3 pages you will see the rough draft of the fairing and it's mounting. I have yellow leds that will mount in the same manner as the rear ones.

Mark

Offline aussie

• Enthusiast
« Reply #178 on: April 04, 2009, 05:12:17 pm »
How hot is that ductail section going to get ? having mufflers enclosed inside i would guess that the metal ductail section you have made is going to get fairly warm. The Picture marked "C" are the indicators going to survive there ?.
This is where i would put them, to keep the back end nice and clean.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 05:14:08 pm by aussie »

masonryman

« Reply #179 on: April 04, 2009, 05:51:11 pm »
The tail section in the exhaust area is double walled. I let the bike run about 20 minutes and you could still hold on to the tip.

It does build up heat alot faster with the baffles in but with the air space and the double wall under the seat I am confident that it will be OK

Mark

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #180 on: April 04, 2009, 06:06:51 pm »
Hey MC

They are flush mount LEDs, they will come in from inside and only stick out about 1/2"

That is funny you said that about sitting on top of the bike, That is one of the reasons I gave a year and half, or so, ago. That and I am pretty short, well not pretty just short.

I know, I have drug this thing out way to long and  posting things in real time, people loose interest.

If you go back 2 or 3 pages you will see the rough draft of the fairing and it's mounting. I have yellow leds that will mount in the same manner as the rear ones.

Mark
Your LEDs sound great, only a bubble sticking out.

My project was started 9 years ago, and after about 18 months hit a serious brickwall. Re-Started about a year ago, with a more serious discipline of doing soomething every week, preferably about 5 hours per week.

But if real life intervenes, a man has to have priorities and motorcycles are toys. But I think I will be able to push this thru to the finish. Hope you can too. Looking real good!
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

masonryman

« Reply #181 on: April 04, 2009, 06:42:11 pm »
I have committed to doing something every week, just a couple hours at a time. I find it to work very well, when I do get to the shop to work on it. I find that I have better focus and direction and seem to get more done.

If I am not seeing where I want to go and how to get there, I don't work on it.

BTW I am currently working on the NEW Carmel Arts center

Mark

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #182 on: April 04, 2009, 07:32:37 pm »
I have committed to doing something every week, just a couple hours at a time. I find it to work very well, when I do get to the shop to work on it. I find that I have better focus and direction and seem to get more done.
If I am not seeing where I want to go and how to get there, I don't work on it.

BTW I am currently working on the NEW Carmel Arts center

Mark
Yup slow and steady with a clear mind can get it done.

My brother lived/lives in Carmel long before it got so uppity. But its the hot place to be and I guess someplace has to be. I haven't been there in a while, I'm in NW Indy. I'll have to go see whats cookin. I know its getting some national recognition for innovative management.

Don't know where Selma is I'll have to look it up.
Regards!
Ride Safe:
Ron

masonryman

« Reply #183 on: April 04, 2009, 07:43:48 pm »
8 miles east of muncie on HWY32, blink and you will miss it.

I grew up in Muncie Go REBELS

masonryman

every day it's a new, project cafe
« Reply #184 on: April 07, 2009, 08:00:23 am »
Got the stuff and now I am ready to take a shot at the world of 12V electricity I have never made a wiring harness so this is all new to me.

Cutting a hole in the bottom for access I installed the rectifiers in side the case

Ready to install.

Lets hope for no smoke, It's my understanding in the world of electricity , smoke is bad. ;D
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 08:03:29 am by masonryman »

Offline Grumpol

• Hot Shot
« Reply #185 on: April 07, 2009, 08:21:52 am »
You CANT let the smoke out, thats the important stuff.
The japs didnt rely on smoke as much as the english but they still needed it, heres a link to the theory behind it

http://www.peizhang.com/forfun/forfun_writings_smoke.htm

masonryman

« Reply #186 on: April 07, 2009, 08:31:17 am »
You CANT let the smoke out, thats the important stuff.
The japs didnt rely on smoke as much as the english but they still needed it, heres a link to the theory behind it
http://www.peizhang.com/forfun/forfun_writings_smoke.htm

That is absolutely awesome, enlightening to say the least, I see thing much clearer and I am sure that will greatly aid in my quest to harness "the smoke".

Thanks for the Heads up
HA HA

Mark

masonryman

« Reply #187 on: April 07, 2009, 04:44:46 pm »
No smoke yet, but I haven't put the voltage to it yet eather

masonryman

« Reply #188 on: April 11, 2009, 05:31:40 pm »

Justa rough draft for fitment reasons but I think I like it. Any 550 owners want a set.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 05:35:16 pm by masonryman »

Offline scartail

• Hot Shot
« Reply #189 on: April 11, 2009, 06:15:46 pm »
Justa rough draft for fitment reasons but I think I like it. Any 550 owners want a set.

Really nice idea. Just wondering, would you be restricting too much air flow with that configuration?
'89 Hawk GT, newly acquired, daily beater...
'76 CB550, was my daily beater... my cafe project...
'72 Yamaha R5, newly acquired project... donated to my buddy...
'67 Suzuki T20, still working on her too... Currently in pieces...

masonryman

« Reply #190 on: April 11, 2009, 07:11:51 pm »
It will flow better than the stock box and the air should enter the card with less turbulence, similar to the high flow snorkels you can get for the TPI equipped cars

masonryman

« Reply #191 on: April 14, 2009, 04:25:30 pm »
well I hooked up the wiring harness, installed gaskets in the exhaust and started the bike and let it run. OMG it sounds sweeeet and takes gas like no other 2 valve motor I have ever owned. The Honda man stuff with the coils,wires, points, plugs, exhaust it is going to be fun to ride.

Now for the bad, I let the smoke out of my homemade voltage regulator, I don't know if I got a wire crossed off of the rectifiers or the problem is some where else. It was putting out 13.4 when it started smoking and I unhooked it???????????
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 04:27:52 pm by masonryman »

Offline c91x

• Enthusiast
« Reply #192 on: April 14, 2009, 09:47:27 pm »
good to see you restarted this project masonryman. I still have yet to complete the last 5-10 hrs my bike needs to be finished. To many other things going on. seeing you get back to yours makes me want to go start tinkering away at my bike again... it's lookin good though i'm likin the look of the bike

masonryman

« Reply #193 on: April 15, 2009, 02:55:41 pm »
Hey Thanks

I welcome all feed back, good, bad and ugly.   Haven't been getting much feed back since I have got back at it.

I'm not a quitter I just took a brake, my damn kids will surly leave some day. I got a while there only 14 and 17 ::)  ;D

Offline Kalamazoo

• Enthusiast
« Reply #194 on: April 15, 2009, 10:11:27 pm »
I've been following your build since the begging, just watching, trying to learn.
I'm one of those damn kids you know haha, only 17.
Regardless of age I hope you still take my compliments. You bike is looking amazing! I only wish to be able to some of the things you do and its been fun watching the progress, keeps me going on my bike sometimes.

Is everything just harder when your young ??? because I swear nothing I do on my bike is easy... even when others say it will be haha.
M.R.

masonryman

« Reply #195 on: April 16, 2009, 02:49:29 am »
As a skilled tradesman of 23 years let me give you one pieace of advise;

smooth is the key, try to make it look easy even when it's not. It's never as easy as it looks for anybody, and if they say it is, there bull#$%*ten you and themselves.

The biggest complement I can receive about my work is when someone thinks, out loud "I think I could do that". It means you make it look easy 8)

If there is any thing I can do I'd be glad to help.

Thanks
Mark

Offline aussie

• Enthusiast
« Reply #196 on: April 16, 2009, 03:26:56 am »

What are you going to use to clamp the pipe to the carby?, Very interesting idea.

masonryman

« Reply #197 on: April 16, 2009, 02:46:25 pm »
 There are two easy ways that I have thought of, the first would be to use a short piece of hose or tube and a couple clamps the other would be to put a relief cut on opposite sides using a gasket or O-ring to isolate the carb from the manifold and a clamp to pinch it all together.

Then there are a couple not so easy ways I have been kicking around.

I plan on making a couple sets this weekend, we'll have to wait and see where it goes. I have been thinking about using one as a pattern to make a mold and form some out of carbon fiber, who knows where it will go.

Mark

Mark

Offline aussie

• Enthusiast
« Reply #198 on: April 17, 2009, 12:39:17 am »
There are two easy ways that I have thought of, the first would be to use a short piece of hose or tube and a couple clamps the other would be to put a relief cut on opposite sides using a gasket or O-ring to isolate the carb from the manifold and a clamp to pinch it all together.

Then there are a couple not so easy ways I have been kicking around.

I plan on making a couple sets this weekend, we'll have to wait and see where it goes. I have been thinking about using one as a pattern to make a mold and form some out of carbon fiber, who knows where it will go.

Mark

Mark

Be interesting when you fire it up, and see how it behaves. Carbon fibre would be the go and a lot less weight hanging off those carbies.

Im thinking why couldnt you make all four connect into one larger single filter. ::)

Offline sangyo soichiro

• Tuck
  • Master
  • ☢ the atomic playboy ☠
« Reply #199 on: April 20, 2009, 03:50:07 pm »
I'm impressed.  The exhaust and the carb intake are going to be pretty unique.  Really cool!

1974 CB 750
1972 CB 750 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,57974.0.html
1971 CL 350 Scrambler
1966 Black Bomber
Too many others to name…
My cross country trip: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,138625.0.html