Author Topic: My custom side cover (and other 3d printed parts)  (Read 5488 times)

Offline DHuffman

• Enthusiast
  • '77 CB750F
    • Follow me on instagram!
My custom side cover (and other 3d printed parts)
« on: April 19, 2019, 07:08:09 am »
Just thought I'd share some work I've been doing on my '77 F.

First, I'm super excited about this custom side cover. I laser cut it from 1/8" matte black acrylic, and added a perforated stainless backing.

Also, I 3D printed a riser for my Vapor instrument to clear the master cylinder mount on the triple tree, as well as a mount for the starter solenoid

I'm pretty stoked  ;D

Offline Yamahawk

• IGOR!Come here IGOR! ...Yesss
  • Master
  • 1971 Honda CB750 Four K1
    • Kingdom Run Biker Church and Outreach
Re: My custom side cover (and other 3d printed parts)
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 08:10:10 am »
Nice work, man! I like the results. I used a Vapor on my RD350 race bike and it was a great instrument, just a little too much vibration for it from the 2 stroke engine though.
Charlie
1971 CB750K1 (newest bike), 1996 Royal Enfield 500 Bullet (therapy bike), 1981 Yamaha XV920RH, 2006 Kawasaki Concours (retirement bike), 1975 Yamaha RD350 (race bike), 1989 Honda VTR250 Interceptor (race bike), 1986 Kawasaki EX250 Ninja (race bike in progress), 1985 Honda Elite CH250, 1973 Yamaha GT1 80cc, 1974 Yamaha DT360 project bike.

The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Triumph, is for Good Men to do Nothing.
Edmund Burke

All Things work together for good, for those who love God and are the Called according to His purpose.
Romans 8:28

Though He slay me, Yet will I trust Him...
Job 13:15
will you trust Him...?

Offline tlbranth

• Master
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 08:35:48 am »
Very nice
Don't own a Vanagon
Don't work at Boeing
Life is good

1970 CB750 K0
1975 GL1000
1999 GL1500
2002 VT750-CDA ACE - Momma's bike
Terry

Offline RRBuGGz

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 10:41:41 am »
Nice!  I always thought about getting a printer setup but have no clue how to use or design on it.

Offline DHuffman

• Enthusiast
  • '77 CB750F
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 11:25:51 am »
Nice!  I always thought about getting a printer setup but have no clue how to use or design on it.

Yeah I started learning to model a while back, was very intimidated by it at first, but it really isnt bad. You can get a decent printer for like $400 now. I do my modelling in Fusion360 or OnShape.

Offline OldZaskar

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2019, 11:51:49 am »
Very nice!

So... when do these go into production and will you do a set for 500 Four? ;-)
'73 CB500 Four

Offline DHuffman

• Enthusiast
  • '77 CB750F
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 12:15:07 pm »
Very nice!

So... when do these go into production and will you do a set for 500 Four? ;-)

I'd considered making them for people, but by the time you factor materials, shipping, and a small compensation for my time, they wouldn't be that cheap.

Offline OldZaskar

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2019, 01:51:31 pm »
My other (older) hobby is playing with Land Cruisers. A couple years ago, a guy on the forum posted a pic of a steel winch bumper he made for his Land Cruiser. Several guys piped in with "Sweet! Where do I send my check?" He said basically the same thing - "just made it for his truck, wouldn't be cost effective to make another." He had a full-time job, limited time, etc. His solution: "Okay, if ten guys commit to buy one, I'll make ten." That created enough efficiencies that he could charge XX and make a buck but still make the bumper reasonably priced. Just a thought.

Oh, to finish the bumper story... Ten did commit... then ten more... ten more. First run of the bumpers was around 70. He started getting requests for rear bumpers, roof racks, products for newer Land Cruisers, Tacomas, Tundras.. He has a very different full-time job now... running his own fabrication company.
'73 CB500 Four

Offline DHuffman

• Enthusiast
  • '77 CB750F
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2019, 03:30:22 pm »
My other (older) hobby is playing with Land Cruisers. A couple years ago, a guy on the forum posted a pic of a steel winch bumper he made for his Land Cruiser. Several guys piped in with "Sweet! Where do I send my check?" He said basically the same thing - "just made it for his truck, wouldn't be cost effective to make another." He had a full-time job, limited time, etc. His solution: "Okay, if ten guys commit to buy one, I'll make ten." That created enough efficiencies that he could charge XX and make a buck but still make the bumper reasonably priced. Just a thought.

Oh, to finish the bumper story... Ten did commit... then ten more... ten more. First run of the bumpers was around 70. He started getting requests for rear bumpers, roof racks, products for newer Land Cruisers, Tacomas, Tundras.. He has a very different full-time job now... running his own fabrication company.

Yeah that'd be awesome. If I had a bunch of people wanting them for a '77-'78 F, sure.

Offline Bailgang

• Scott
  • Old Timer
  • Indiana
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2019, 07:30:27 pm »
3D printers definitely opens the door for possibilities in regards to fabrication. My oldest son was using a friends 3D printer, he liked it so much he put one together himself which saved him a bunch of $ compared to buying one. The one he put together wasn't plug and play so he had to do a lot of tweaking to its programming to get it to work correctly but with a lot of patience he managed to sort it all out and it works great now. Once he gets a bit more confident with his CAD programming skills so he can design his own stuff I'll be tossing him ideas of my own to see what kind of parts he can make.
Scott

71 cb350 twin
77 cb750 F2
83 gl1100 Interstate

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2019, 07:36:54 pm »
Just a few things ,
 Have you thought of a bend or curve to fit frame better ?
 It sounds like a demand , but are you planning one for other side ?
 Work on this one is mostly done.
 I am thinking there is production printers that can print faster, hopefully cheaper, the hard part is done.

Speaking as someone who made parts for our bikes, and sold them on here, I can tell you it can be fun and sometimes open other doors for you.. just give it some thought.
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline DHuffman

• Enthusiast
  • '77 CB750F
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2019, 07:28:04 pm »
Just a few things ,
 Have you thought of a bend or curve to fit frame better ?
 It sounds like a demand , but are you planning one for other side ?
 Work on this one is mostly done.
 I am thinking there is production printers that can print faster, hopefully cheaper, the hard part is done.

Speaking as someone who made parts for our bikes, and sold them on here, I can tell you it can be fun and sometimes open other doors for you.. just give it some thought.

You mean the curve that goes inward from top to bottom when looking from the back of the bike? Kind of, but honestly I'm happy with it as is.

No, I'm just keeping the stock oil tank on my bike.

The side cover is quick to manufacture - laser cutting is quick. The slow part is all the measurements and alignment to get the triangle to fit and the bolts to line up. Its still not perfect, but good enough for me. Making them for other bikes would require the person wanting one to take the measurements, which I wouldnt feel comfortable with. Plus, the cost of materials and shipping would be close to $50 alone, so by the time I add some profit in, I feel like its more money than people would want to pay for what it is.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 07:29:36 pm by DHuffman »

Offline Dolomite

• Hot Shot
  • I'm 40% Dolomite.
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2019, 10:10:15 pm »
I disagree! Reproduction side covers are usually around 40-50, so for a custom piece like this. I think you could easily go to $65 and still have a strong market. I think that looks fantastic and if you are taking orders let me know, so long as it fits a 78 750K  ;D

Offline DHuffman

• Enthusiast
  • '77 CB750F
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2019, 10:41:02 pm »
I disagree! Reproduction side covers are usually around 40-50, so for a custom piece like this. I think you could easily go to $65 and still have a strong market. I think that looks fantastic and if you are taking orders let me know, so long as it fits a 78 750K  ;D

Thanks Dolomite! The most expensive part is the stainless backing - looks like ~ $65 for a 1' x 3' sheet (which would make 3). I could make the acrylic part easy though - cost for a sheet is ~$10 on amazon + ~$15 to ship it. I just traced the outline on the metal, drilled the holes and cut it out with an angle grinder. If you're interested, I could probably do the acrylic piece for ~$30 shipped and you can just get whatever metal you want and cut it to put behind it. I'm not sure how the F and K models are different in the frame angles and mounting bolt placement, but I can send a PDF that you can print, tape together and cut out to confirm fitment.

I can also do two-tone sheets, with various colors (where the logo would be) https://www.delviesplastics.com/p/Gemini-Laser.html, but these are quite a bit more expensive and a little softer material.

I made a panel to cover up a dash on a boat for someone using that material:
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 10:49:23 pm by DHuffman »

Offline Dolomite

• Hot Shot
  • I'm 40% Dolomite.
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2019, 10:48:11 pm »
If you could PM that pdf that would be great! I think the mounting points should be the same.

I could see the metal backing being the most complicated part and I would happily do that part myself.

Offline DHuffman

• Enthusiast
  • '77 CB750F
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2019, 10:53:54 pm »
If you could PM that pdf that would be great! I think the mounting points should be the same.

I could see the metal backing being the most complicated part and I would happily do that part myself.

Honestly, its not complicated. I just traced it with a sharpie and cut it out - doesnt have to be pretty if you let the acrylic over hang the edges. I just happened to have a sheet of stainless laying around. (304 stainless; 20 ga; 1/16" holes)

Offline Dolomite

• Hot Shot
  • I'm 40% Dolomite.
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2019, 11:11:29 pm »
I'd be interested if you could make one for the oil tank side as well, possibly just a mirrored design with spacers (thinking just a thick walled tube design?) the mounting points to offset it away? Or honestly, even just a mirrored design to line up on the oil side and spacers could easily be made from small hollow pipe or pvc or something similar.

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2019, 12:45:14 pm »
Great looking stuff. We also have a member on here who makes custom side covers and points oxovers. Maybe get with him to help you figure out pricing. Frankenbike is the User name if i remeber correct.
slow Progress 74 cb550.

Poor boy chop 73 CB500 chop

Future project 77 Cb750 Amen Savior

Offline DHuffman

• Enthusiast
  • '77 CB750F
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2019, 09:06:30 am »
I'd be interested if you could make one for the oil tank side as well, possibly just a mirrored design with spacers (thinking just a thick walled tube design?) the mounting points to offset it away? Or honestly, even just a mirrored design to line up on the oil side and spacers could easily be made from small hollow pipe or pvc or something similar.

You can buy nylon spacers at home depot, lowes, etc. I actually bought some anti-vibration rubber mounts, but they stuck out too far. I have a nylon spacer behind it on the top right mount. Other than that, theyre mounted to the frame directly.

Offline Dolomite

• Hot Shot
  • I'm 40% Dolomite.
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2019, 09:10:11 am »
That was what I figured you had used, would just need a mirrored version for the oil side as the angles would be backwards.

Offline DHuffman

• Enthusiast
  • '77 CB750F
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2019, 10:36:03 am »
That was what I figured you had used, would just need a mirrored version for the oil side as the angles would be backwards.

I'll look at my bike when I get home to see where the mounts would be

Offline DHuffman

• Enthusiast
  • '77 CB750F
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2019, 02:41:03 pm »

Looks like the mounting points would be pretty different

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2019, 06:23:38 pm »
The technology fascinates me! My most recent cb750F has side cover “made” by the previous owner. Engineering student, he printed both side covers in his University machine shop! Incredibly strong and identical to the smashed originals...... we’re going to see some extraordinary parts in the coming years. Kudos to those of you working it!

Offline tlbranth

• Master
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2019, 06:25:56 pm »
The technology fascinates me! My most recent cb750F has side cover “made” by the previous owner. Engineering student, he printed both side covers in his University machine shop! Incredibly strong and identical to the smashed originals...... we’re going to see some extraordinary parts in the coming years. Kudos to those of you working it!
What's a kudo? do they only come in pairs?
Don't own a Vanagon
Don't work at Boeing
Life is good

1970 CB750 K0
1975 GL1000
1999 GL1500
2002 VT750-CDA ACE - Momma's bike
Terry

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2019, 02:36:05 am »
Single kudo. A pair is ”kudies”.