Author Topic: m.button confusion... (Help!)  (Read 1587 times)

Offline roach374

• Enthusiast
m.button confusion... (Help!)
« on: November 25, 2019, 11:18:29 am »
I'm trying to re-wire my '72 Honda CB500 with an m.Button / m.Unit v2 combo, but I'd like to keep all the original switches (I just like the look of them). I'm having trouble understanding the minimalistic wiring instructions included with the m.Unit, and wondering if anyone might be able to help:

• What's the correct way to wire the 3-way sliding switch for the headlight (hi-beam / lo-beam / off)? m.Button only has one "headlight" input, which I take it is designed to support different patterns of pushbutton operation (two quick taps, long press, short press, etc).
  • What's the correct way to wire the kill switch (3-way off/on/off switch on the right side) to the m.Button? As far as I can tell there is no input for this.
  • How does the m.button get power? As far as I can tell, it has ground and "config" input. Is it getting its power from the "config"?

Offline roach374

• Enthusiast
Re: m.button confusion... (Help!)
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 11:54:50 am »
form what I understand is that id is not ideal combination

https://technicalarticles.revivalcycles.com/hc/en-us/articles/360008815572-How-to-Modify-OEM-Latching-Style-Switches-for-the-m-Unit

Aww :-(. I guess I'll just wire up the start button and use the double-tap method for starting the motor, but what about the high-beams?

EDIT: Actually, looking more closely at your link, I see this: "When using the OEM headlight switch you do not have the option of turning your headlight off," , which would work just fine for me. Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 12:00:29 pm by roach374 »

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 04:36:53 pm »
There are more simple means for using the stock switch controls with an mUnit, and an MButton.

I am no fan of the mButton, but if you absolutely must, it can be wired in to function. Essentially, you need to alter the stock flow of electricity from running through the switch controls, directly to the components. This limits the stock controls to nothing other than “ground” signals to the mUnit/mButton.

For instance, stock, there’s a Grey wire into the LH control. Terminate that to a ground and disconnect it from yuor flasher relay. Now, when you toggle LO or HI, the mUnit will use it to switch the light function. Run the stock White wire from LH to mUnit input LIGHT.

For START, RUN, KILL, you re-route the wires to mUnit then mUnit to the Solenoid relay from START output. Its all very doable, but you will be re-wiring the bike, so ditch the mButton as it won’t save you any time or ease anyway.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline MessnerMoto

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 12:21:09 am »
There are more simple means for using the stock switch controls with an mUnit, and an MButton.

I am no fan of the mButton, but if you absolutely must, it can be wired in to function. Essentially, you need to alter the stock flow of electricity from running through the switch controls, directly to the components. This limits the stock controls to nothing other than “ground” signals to the mUnit/mButton.

For instance, stock, there’s a Grey wire into the LH control. Terminate that to a ground and disconnect it from yuor flasher relay. Now, when you toggle LO or HI, the mUnit will use it to switch the light function. Run the stock White wire from LH to mUnit input LIGHT.

For START, RUN, KILL, you re-route the wires to mUnit then mUnit to the Solenoid relay from START output. Its all very doable, but you will be re-wiring the bike, so ditch the mButton as it won’t save you any time or ease anyway.

I agree on the m-button

also there is a big chance of interference between m-button and coils... controls firing randomly