Author Topic: new aftermarket cable, tach is loud and needle a little shaky  (Read 394 times)

Offline jakec

• Master
This is on my CL350. I got the silver cable set that's available from thailand. This is my second time purchasing these cables. If you work on early twins then you're aware that these are pretty much the only new cables available in silver. NOS honda cables are often just as discolored as the ones on the bike already. And about $40 each. I replaced the cables on this bike because most of mine were wearing through the sheathing where they rub the frame and whatnot. I did not use the clutch cable that comes in the pack because I had used it before and the load on the cable and higher friction of the lower quality cable makes for a bad experience.

ANYWAYS What I've noticed is that that tach cable shakes a bit in in the drive seat, probably because the end fitting is not perfectly sized like a genuine cable. However I think that's fine, what is bothering me is the needle is shaking very slightly. about 1mm back and forth (constant, doesn't change with RPM). It also buzzes a little bit with high RPM, something I think I do remember from the other set I bought. The speedometer however is nice and smooth. Just wondering if anyone has experience with this and can offer a solution.
1970 CB750 K0
1970 CL350 K2
1975 CB400 F0
1977 CB750 Chop

Offline Alaxy Galaxy

• Hot Shot
Re: new aftermarket cable, tach is loud and needle a little shaky
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2020, 04:25:26 am »
I'd love for the needles on my cb400f to bounce around as little as 1mm! My indicated speed is always an approximation.

As for your cable, if the outside appearance is ok with the new cable, could you stuff the oem metal cable in the repro cable sleeve?

Offline jlh3rd

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2020, 05:21:20 am »
the only thing i could think of would be to lube the cable with the slickest lubricant available...

Offline jakec

• Master
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2020, 08:48:21 pm »
Both are interesting ideas. The drive cable may be more stable on the OEM part.
1970 CB750 K0
1970 CL350 K2
1975 CB400 F0
1977 CB750 Chop