Author Topic: How have the Duro HF319 been working for you?,they are style like the old K70  (Read 1615 times)

Online grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
I like the old classic looks of the Dunlop K70.
The Duro HF319 looks a lot like it and before I buy it I wonder what's been your experience with them.Do they grip good and how do they feel when you run in the fast(85-90mph) lane:do they feel like they were molded well and run 'true' where they seat in the bead without any wobble?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 04:54:00 pm by grcamna2 »
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
 I put a set on a bike but didn't get many miles on it. And I ride like the old man I am.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
Hey camna...why do you want to put a cheap taiwan tire on your great Japanese bike?!

The K70 is available I believe still made in Japan.  Buy the Dunlop and I'll send you the difference in cost!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-00-18-Dunlop-Vintage-K70-Rear-Tire/373089837122?epid=1640594373&hash=item56dde32042:g:kekAAOSwSiVe7uGC
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Online grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
Hey camna...why do you want to put a cheap taiwan tire on your great Japanese bike?!

The K70 is available I believe still made in Japan.  Buy the Dunlop and I'll send you the difference in cost!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-00-18-Dunlop-Vintage-K70-Rear-Tire/373089837122?epid=1640594373&hash=item56dde32042:g:kekAAOSwSiVe7uGC

Hey,far out Stev-o,
I didn't know they still even had them;you think that's a fresh tire ?

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas

Hey,far out Stev-o,
I didn't know they still even had them;you think that's a fresh tire ?

I do, but email them to confirm. 

I plan to buy one for my H1, it has a Dunlop Gold seal from '04! ooops
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Online grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
Ok,
Depending how many different sizes the K70 has;I remember using them on many different bikes and still would,if I knew that I could purchase a fresh tire.
I would still like feedback on how the Duro HF319 performs.

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
The new “vintage” Dunlops look great and work very well.

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
 I put the Duro's on my 750's that I do as their first new set in many years tires when I first get them running. The price when I bought a whole load of them from my local dealer at one time was very cheap and they are pretty good for getting a bike back up on its feet. The rubber is soft and the rears wear quite quickly.The 4.00 by 18 rear seems maybe a little narrower then maybe some other 4.00's. The overall weight of the tire seems slightly lighter then more expensive brands I think. They hand mount fairly easily. Overall for the price I am satisfied with them and run the front ribbed tire also. Never have felt scared or unsure or had an issue with one. If I had just one bike to worry about I would probably opt for a more premium tire even if it was just for braggin' rights. Here are some crappy pics in my dark garage tonight of a pair with 50 miles on them from I project I just put on the road for the first time today. Been mounted for 2 + years so a little dusty/dirty from storage   Eric
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 08:15:32 pm by ekpent »

Online grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
Yes,they have a nice look as the Dunlop K70;I think that rear tread pattern could work on either the rear or front..

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
Look like a continental rip off to me
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Online grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
Look like a continental rip off to me

Their front tire does resemble a Conti RB2

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
 How dare Continental copy that Duro design  :D :D The are almost twins Bryan - good eye !

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
Those contis have been same since early 70's mate

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas

I like the Contis and run them on my H2.   However, was disappointed when I bought my last one, they are no longer made in Germany and are now made in Korea

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
I was joking around but it does look like Duro has been around since 1945. https://www.duro.com.tw/en/company.php?id=4

Online grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
I put the Duro's on my 750's that I do as their first new set in many years tires when I first get them running. The price when I bought a whole load of them from my local dealer at one time was very cheap and they are pretty good for getting a bike back up on its feet. The rubber is soft and the rears wear quite quickly.The 4.00 by 18 rear seems maybe a little narrower then maybe some other 4.00's. The overall weight of the tire seems slightly lighter then more expensive brands I think. They hand mount fairly easily. Overall for the price I am satisfied with them and run the front ribbed tire also. Never have felt scared or unsure or had an issue with one. If I had just one bike to worry about I would probably opt for a more premium tire even if it was just for braggin' rights. Here are some crappy pics in my dark garage tonight of a pair with 50 miles on them from I project I just put on the road for the first time today. Been mounted for 2 + years so a little dusty/dirty from storage   Eric

I appreciate this feedback Eric,this helps me understand a lot about Duro tires.

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
Sorry, realised the joke, my humour is what us brits call staight faced lancastrian, see if you can find Les Dawson

Online PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bike almost back to the 70's 2015
Yes, Conti K112. Good grip but very sudden it just lost it, bad surprise. My memories of early 80's.
Even the sliding Avon Roadrunner was better, it started earlier in a controlled way.

Then Metzeler ME-99 that was fine. They do not produce that since many years. ME-77 still produced

I'm sure Dunlop use modern rubber mix in their old type of tires.
Heidenau K36 has also a similar look. Front tire K44.
CB750 K6-76  970cc (Earlier 1005cc JMR Billet block on the shelf waiting for a comeback)
CB750 K2-75 Parts assembled to a stock K2

Updates of the CB750 K6 -1976
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180468.msg2092136.html#msg2092136
The billet block build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,49438.msg1863571.html#msg1863571
CB750 K2 -1975  build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,168243.msg1948381.html#msg1948381
K2 engine build thread. For a complete CB750 -75
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180088.msg2088008.html#msg2088008
Carb jetting, a long story Mikuni TMR32
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,179479.msg2104967.html#msg2104967

Offline itsahonda4

• Enthusiast
    • www.wfomodels.com
I have a variety of tyres on my bikes, including Duros, Bridgestones, Metzeler, Mitas and Dunlop.....
I cant fault any of them for wear and grip, well Im maybe not happy about the Bridgestone on my CB750.......
My 1977 RD200DX has Duros on it because it was the only tyre available in the miniscule sizes spec'd. It works great at the somewhat-less-than-warp speed the bike is normally ridden at. And it looks period correct.
My 1971 CB750 has Bridgestones on it and I noticed yesterday that the sidewall on the front tyre is cracked with only about 2000 miles on the clock [3 years old] so Im going to new K70's for it most definitely.
My CBX has Meztelers only because they were available when I needed them, but they look somewhat correct for 1979 and wear and perform great.
My BMW R1200ST has Bridgestone Battlax tyres and Ive noticed the front is starting to wear in scallops type of wear and Im told this is somewhat typical of BMW's, but it has worn well and hangs on well past the point where my skillset ends, so Ill probably just replace it with another BS.
OPINION: If I was using my bike lots and 'vintage' appearance was important then Id throw K70's on it, otherwise Id look for a cheaper tyre that looked correct.
Al

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
I like Duros just fine for the price.  But, like Steve-O, I don't pinch penny's when I buy tires.  I have ridden on them a fair amount, though.  Soft grippy rubber that won't last long but will inspire confident cornering.  They have several vintage inspired tread patterns.

Compared to Dunlop?...a lot more money and they also don't last long
                    Continental?...impressive durability depending on rubber compound.  I have seen some crusty long sitting barn finds with Conti's that were unchecked, uncracked, and still soft enough to put put around at least.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 11:22:12 am by seanbarney41 »
If it works good, it looks good...

Online grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
I like Duros just fine for the price.  But, like Steve-O, I don't pinch penny's when I buy tires.  I have ridden on them a fair amount, though.  Soft grippy rubber that won't last long but will inspire confident cornering.  They have several vintage inspired tread patterns.

Compared to Dunlop?...a lot more money and they also don't last long
                    Continental?...impressive durability depending on rubber compound.  I have seen some crusty long sitting barn finds with Conti's that were unchecked, uncracked, and still soft enough to put put around at least.

Ok,thanks for the feedback.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
Just ordered a Dunlop for my H1...