Author Topic: Air filter housing part 400 four?  (Read 552 times)

Offline Uk subs

Air filter housing part 400 four?
« on: October 17, 2020, 08:16:23 am »
Hi

I have just noticed that there should be a part between the two metal plates at the bottom of the air filter housing on a 400 four but mine is missing one and it does not seem possible to buy one.  If you look on page 23 of this link, it is item 24 that I am refering to: http://manuals.sohc4.net/cb400/technical_reference/PL400.pdf 

I am thinking it might just be a piece of foam like material. Can anyone tell me what the part is made from or if you know of anywhere it is available?  (Not available from Peter Silver or CMSL).

Thanks

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
Re: Air filter housing part 400 four?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 12:19:10 pm »
If you have the metal plates you know the size it needs to be. Uni makes good filter material, it is just a oiled foam sheet. You could probable even get a foam filter element from a lawnmower to cut up your square of filter. It serves as a breather oil separator for blow-by or crankcase gases.

If any 400F owners have one they should be able to tell you how thick it is...
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 03:36:20 pm »
I’ve also used a piece of green Scotchbrite pad, cut to fit. Has lasted forever and easily washed....

Offline Alaxy Galaxy

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 04:25:47 pm »
I still have mine, but honestly, it's pretty cruddy. I can measure the thickness if you want, but it probably lost a bit of "fluff" with age. I wouldn't worry about the details much.

Offline Nurse Julie

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 12:51:43 am »
Just cut a piece from a foam washing up sponge. If you are careful, you can cut 3 out of 1 foam pad, works out very cheap with 10 complete sponges being less than £1 over here in UK 😊😊😊
Trust me I'm a Nurse, I promise it won't hurt....much

Offline Uk subs

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2020, 09:44:26 am »
Hi all

Thanks for all your comments. Think I will just cut up a piece of foam and put it in.