Author Topic: Easy way to clean carbon off pistons/cylinder head combusion chamber?  (Read 98988 times)

Offline hevykevy420

• Enthusiast
I've tried everything, B-12 chemtool, Seafoam, carb cleaner, nothing seems to work except  a screwdriver and a very fine wire brush (don't worry, doesn't scratch pistons heads).

I'm ready to just give up and begin the reassembly. I've been scraping for hours.
1978 CB750K - 836 Wiseco kit, 4-1 Kerker Exhaust, Web cam (63b grind), HD valve springs, polished stuff.  Comfortable.

1975 BMW R90/6 - tight

2002 RC51 - Jardine slip ons.  Uncomfortable.

Austin, TX

Offline pddpimp

• Hot Shot
Re: Easy way to clean carbon off pistons/cylinder head combusion chamber?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 12:59:46 pm »
If I remember correct, I've used brake cleaner. I put some in a pan and set the pistons face down in it and let them soak for a bit. Then the stuff wiped off.
When the majority of the United States population get to be 70 years old, they will finally realize what is really important. And by then it'll be too late.

-'77 CB750 Cafe/Muscle bike (early clone)
Soon to have a hopped up 836cc *sold*

-'75 CB750 with a little bit of character

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 01:17:17 pm »
Permatex gasket remover.

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 01:53:44 pm »
Regular old chem-dip works well, too.

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 02:28:53 pm »
You can try a torch and a wire brush. You have to be careful about how much heat you apply to the alumunum.
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 04:25:33 pm »
GM makes a carbon remover that is unbelievable. I don't know if it is available to the public though. I'll get the part# and name from my machinist.
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline ChevelleSSLS6

• Enthusiast
  • Member #4051
    • my myspace, yay.
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 04:28:42 pm »
To prevent much carbon buildup... I mix about 3oz acetone to 10 gallons of fuel, have carbs adjusted right and good flow in and out of the engine, and it'll be good.  Works with the B&S 8horse I have in a little tractor.  Adding about a quart of toulene to the fuel mixture and it doesn't bog down in the thick grass anymore.  I add the toulene and 1oz acetone to the 3gal tank before adding fuel so it mixes as I add the fuel.  I should probably check cylinder head temps using straight fuel and "my" mixed fuel so I know I'm not burning stuff up! :o

I heard of a guy who used Jet Fuel in a cushman cart.  He fried his engine, but it ran pretty darned fast!
"What about incomplete idiots?" -TwoTired
"What's a leakdown test?  I filled the cylinder that looks like this with some water and let it sit overnight. The water didn't go down any.  I thought that would tell me about the rings." -Dead Guy of AMCforums

1977 CB550f- sold
2007 Kawi EX650- curre

Stevien1

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 01:46:37 pm »
An old-timer once showed me how to clean carbon off of pistons with just an oven and ice water.....

Using an old oven (not the one you cook food in!), heat the parts up to 350-400 degrees then pull them out and spray ice water on the carbon.  Wear safety glasses (along with thick gloves) as the carbon will "pop" right off the pistons.

If you don't have access to an old oven, try GM's Top End Cleaner or Mopar's Combustion Chamber Cleaner.  Both are designed to work with the engine running and up to temp, but it's worth a shot on dissassembled parts........

Offline hevykevy420

• Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 01:49:16 pm »
I had some permatex gasket remover laying around and that stuff worked better than everything else I used.  took 99% off.  the rest will have to burn off!

here's to correct jetting!  ;D :D :)
1978 CB750K - 836 Wiseco kit, 4-1 Kerker Exhaust, Web cam (63b grind), HD valve springs, polished stuff.  Comfortable.

1975 BMW R90/6 - tight

Austin, TX

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 01:59:36 pm »
To prevent much carbon buildup... I mix about 3oz acetone to 10 gallons of fuel, have cabs adjusted right and good flow in and out of the engine, and it'll be good.  Works with the B&S 8horse I have in a little tractor.  Adding about a quart of toluene to the fuel mixture and it doesn't bog down in the thick grass anymore.  I add the toluene and 1oz acetone to the 3gal tank before adding fuel so it mixes as I add the fuel.  I should probably check cylinder head temps using straight fuel and "my" mixed fuel so I know I'm not burning stuff up! :o

I heard of a guy who used Jet Fuel in a cushman cart.  He fried his engine, but it ran pretty darned fast!
What you have done with the Toluene is used one of the main ingredients of carb cleaner. The Jet Fuel frying a motor is a Urban Myth. Jet Fuel is a highly refined Kerosene which is much less explosive and burns cooler than Gasoline.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline Hockers Choppers

• Hot Shot
  • go away winter!!!
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2007, 02:02:21 pm »
Hey Kevy, I've got about the same settup as you, just got it back together. What are you running for carbs? I have the stock carbs with pods on my 78 F3, 120 mains, 2 washers under the needles, 1 3/4 turns out. Haven't rode it much but it ran good stock like this. Have a set of CR29's but haven't put them on yet.
Thanks, Jesse
The thing about common sense is that, it's not that common.

1978 CB750F SUPERSPORT 850cc, cam, porting, dyna ign, cr29's lotsa elbow grease and $$'s. Worth ever penny!!  (S0ld)

05 VTX1800F darkside
cb750 k1

Offline Jonesy

• Shop Rat
  • Old Timer
  • "Damn! These HM300 Pipes Are Expensive!!!"
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2007, 02:02:43 pm »
GM makes a carbon remover that is unbelievable. I don't know if it is available to the public though. I'll get the part# and name from my machinist.

"GM Top Engine Cleaner". Ask for it at the parts counter.

Personaly, I prefer to run full out at 125 MPH on the interstate. Blows the carbon right out! ;D ;) (Just kidding!)
"Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing people out there having a good time on motorcycles; it makes me take another look." -Steve McQueen

Offline ChevelleSSLS6

• Enthusiast
  • Member #4051
    • my myspace, yay.
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2007, 03:25:14 pm »

What you have done with the Toluene is used one of the main ingredients of carb cleaner. The Jet Fuel frying a motor is a Urban Myth. Jet Fuel is a highly refined Kerosene which is much less explosive and burns cooler than Gasoline.

Thanks for the correction! ;D
"What about incomplete idiots?" -TwoTired
"What's a leakdown test?  I filled the cylinder that looks like this with some water and let it sit overnight. The water didn't go down any.  I thought that would tell me about the rings." -Dead Guy of AMCforums

1977 CB550f- sold
2007 Kawi EX650- curre

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2007, 05:58:21 pm »

No you were on the right path with the chemical additive. Jet fuel sounds sexy but it is pretty low grade stuff. Now, you want to get some kick in your motor till it blows, add some Nitrobenzine.   ;D

Offline hevykevy420

• Enthusiast
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2007, 08:12:44 am »
Hey Kevy, I've got about the same settup as you, just got it back together. What are you running for carbs? I have the stock carbs with pods on my 78 F3, 120 mains, 2 washers under the needles, 1 3/4 turns out. Haven't rode it much but it ran good stock like this. Have a set of CR29's but haven't put them on yet.
Thanks, Jesse

I have 120 mains right now with an airbox and I have not changed the needle position on the stock '78K carbs.  IT WAS WAY TOO RICH THIS WAY, that is why I had all the carbon build up!  I did buy some pod filters, but i'd prefer to use the airbox, so I am going to drop down to 115 mains, and see how it runs with the airbox.  I like the smooth low end with the airbox, but may try the pods if it is still too rich with the 115 mains.

1975 BMW R90/6 - tight

Austin, TX

Offline wohali

• What, me worry?
  • Hot Shot
  • Don Pardo, tell 'em what they've won!
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011, 07:52:04 am »
As of mid-2009, GM Top End Cleaner has been reformulated :( "Use with Fuel Injector Cleaning Fixtures such as Kent Moore J35800A or OTC7448 - Fluid is pressure fed into fuel rail with these devices."

Here's what used to be in the GM Top End Cleaner before the reformulation:
Petroleum Distillates 64742-52-5 NE NE NE 50 – 60
Light Aromatic Petroleum Naphtha 64742-95-6 NE NE NE < 5
Heavy Aromatic Petroleum Naphtha 64742-94-5 NE NE NE < 5
2-Butoxyethanol 111-76-2 20 ppm 50 ppm 5 ppm 5 - 10
Sorbitan monotallate 61791-48-8 NE NE NE < 5
Diacetone Alcohol 123-42-2 50 ppm 50 ppm NE < 5
Liquefied Petroleum Gas 68476-86-8 NE NE NE 15 - 25

To me this looks pretty close to Seafoam, so I'll try that next, and then gasket remover. So far my attempts with oven cleaner have been...OK, it's loosened the most crusty stuff, but the exhaust side of the head is still absolutely filthy.

Recommendation for scrubbing tool: "non-stick safe" Scotch Brite pads or "fake steel wool." Works wonders, zero scratches. Hey if it won't scratch Teflon off a non-stick pan, it certainly won't scratch your engine!

Offline domer

• I got a bridge for sale, and it was built by a
  • Expert
  • everything is better with a bag of weed!
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2011, 09:12:34 am »

No you were on the right path with the chemical additive. Jet fuel sounds sexy but it is pretty low grade stuff. Now, you want to get some kick in your motor till it blows, add some Nitrobenzine.   ;D

about 15 years ago, my dad and i were puttin around a lake here in ca while a few buddys  were racing some badass boats... us in our 1957 glassper with the matching johnson 35... ran out of fuel, said eh what the hell and filled her up with some high octane #$%*, 114 iirr. that little 2 stroke gained about 20 mph and lasted about 30 minutes. never did open it up to see the damage, but it was locked up!

Offline fasturd

• Hot Shot
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2011, 06:49:16 pm »
Soak in simple green I have seen it do wonders on carboned up Subaru pistons...
13 in the garage and counting...

Link to my link...   http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=58422.0

Offline xedge4lifex

• Trillz McGillz
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2011, 01:20:28 am »
depending on how tight of a nozzle you can get, make sure its really dry and try soda/bead blasting the CARBON stop when you hit metal. at the very least it would help create a tooth to use the stuff everyone else is talking about. also AIRCRAFT REMOVER in spray can form absolutely killed rust/gasket material when i have done head work. keep it wet, soak it, keep it in an area above 70 degrees, and close to an open fire. ;)
Wake up, look up, there's a warmth up there
a reminder of peace, a reason to care.

Offline Duanob

• Bold Timer
  • Old Timer
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2011, 10:46:15 am »
I'd be inetrested in the de-carbonizing while running method. I'll try the seafoam first. My Bro-in-law has a tiny camera he uses for looking into cylinders to see any problems. I may borrow it before and after the seafoam to see if it really works. If not I'll try something else.
"Just because you flush a butt-load of money down the toilet, doesn't make the toilet worth more",  My Step-Father the Unknown Poet

1974 CB360T
1976 CB550K2 Resurrected
1976 CB550F2 Barn Find
1979 CX500 Delux "HONDA-GUZZI"
2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie
2015 BMW F700GS

__o
_- \_<,
(*) /' (*)

Offline Kong

• Expert
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2011, 10:56:34 am »
Just go talk to any old baboon that has run big two stroke outboards for a lesson in de-carbing a running engine, often with Sea-Foam and just about as often with Yamaha decarb aerosol.

I used to have to do it at least once a year in my old Suzuki 200 (carbed) and 225hp (injected) engines.  Here is how you do it.  Bring the engine up to operating temperature and then have someone hold the throtle so as to maintain about 2000 RPM.  As they do so spray the stuff into the carbs alternatively and sequentially so as to nearly stall the engine.  As the can runs out spray it so heavy that it finally kills the engine.  Then let the engine set for about 20 minutes.  After that refire the engine and do not stand behind the exhaust, because you are not going to believe the crap that going to shoot out of it.

And that is how you decarb a running engine from a guy who has done it dozens of times.

PS, on edit: The reason for this was trolling.  Those engines would be run to the fishing grounds (normally an hour or two run) and then brought down to idle, where they would run all day long just chugging along dragging baits.  It builds up a lot of carbon that is not burnt off by the run back to port.  Do that weekend after weekend and the stuff really builds up, you have to decarb the engines often.  Of course today the big ones are mostly all 4 strokes and you rarely if ever see carbon build up in them like it does in the 2-strokes.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 11:01:11 am by Kong »
2002 FXSTD/I  Softail Deuce
2001 Acura (Honda) CL Type-S
1986 Honda Rebel, 450
1978 Honda CB550K
1977 Honda CB550K

Offline Duanob

• Bold Timer
  • Old Timer
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2011, 08:30:33 am »
Hey Kong, that's what I use my Honda 7.5hp 4 stroke kicker for! It'll run all day at idle no problem. Thanks for the tip on de-carbonizing.
"Just because you flush a butt-load of money down the toilet, doesn't make the toilet worth more",  My Step-Father the Unknown Poet

1974 CB360T
1976 CB550K2 Resurrected
1976 CB550F2 Barn Find
1979 CX500 Delux "HONDA-GUZZI"
2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie
2015 BMW F700GS

__o
_- \_<,
(*) /' (*)

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2011, 08:38:04 am »
Sodablasting will take it right off. No chemicals, no toxic residue, totally benign, looks like new.

I've offered my services on "services". Ship pistons and valves to me easily. Combustion chambers are harder only because of shipping weight.

Buy a soda blaster and do it yourself.
before

after

takes minutes, tops, insides, ringlands completely clean.

water and/or compressed air cleanup
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 08:40:27 am by MCRider »
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline Goofaroo

• general nuisance
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2011, 08:48:53 am »
Once you get them clean, if you polish the tops to as smooth and shiny as you can get them it will retard future growth of carbon buildup. Also, you always want to run the lowest grade octane fuel that your bike will allow. Start by getting it properly timed and tuned and then start with the lowest grade fuel available. If it doesn't ping (and a stock engine probably won't) then you are good to go. If it pings, move up to the next grade. If you run higher octane fuel than is required by the engine, it will cause excess carbon buildup and expel more pollutants. The higher amounts of octane in premium fuel makes the fuel less volatile and it won't burn completely unless the compression in the engine is high enough to compress it more densely. Thus high compression engines require more octane added to the fuel to eliminate the knock caused by preignition of the more volatile lower octane fuel. Absolutely no power is to be had by running higher octane fuel than an engine requires. In fact, all that it will cause is an insignificant power loss followed by more carbon and more pollution.

Offline wohali

• What, me worry?
  • Hot Shot
  • Don Pardo, tell 'em what they've won!
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2011, 11:26:47 pm »
I have a bead blaster. Looks like many on the forum have done chambers and exteriors (but not threaded/machined surfaces!) with glass/plastic beads, so I am not terribly worried...but will be taping a LOT of things up. And yes I have a giant dessicating unit on the compressor, so the air will be very, very dry and filtered.

Don't think I'll try anything but chemical on the pistons themselves, though; don't want to accidentally hit the side of the piston with the beads. Unfortunately my blaster can't use soda... :( Fortunately the pistons don't look even half as bad as the ones MCRider posted.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 11:29:52 pm by wohali »