Author Topic: Steering Stops and turning radius  (Read 776 times)

Offline powereng1

• Inline 4 Hoarder
Steering Stops and turning radius
« on: August 06, 2021, 07:42:53 am »
Hi, I have a 1973 CB750K3 and the turning radius is much shorter than a 1978 CB750 I also have. It appears that there is an additional tab welded on the frame to prevent sharper turning radius. Has anybody else encountered this? I am considering grinding this off but always a bit of caution. Picture attached.---Note: new to this forum--excellent site.

Offline MauiK3

• A K3 is saved
  • Old Timer
  • Old guy
Re: Steering Stops and turning radius
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2021, 08:03:39 am »
What will happen is your fork ears will hit and dent your tank.
1973 CB 750 K3
10/72 build Z1 Kawasaki

Online bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2021, 08:09:49 am »
Thats not additional its standard
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline Little_Phil

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 09:03:03 am »
The arc of material welded to the headstock was one piece of material. Looks like yours is two. Maybe a PO put the extra bit there because of some damage. But as said, remove too much and you will impact the tank. Is the left/right movement the same?

Offline powereng1

• Inline 4 Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2021, 09:14:59 am »
Thanks for the info folks. I'm on the right track. I just measured--1973CB750K3--1.5 inch clearance between fork ears and tank on both sides when hard against the stops. My 1978 CB750K8 has 1/2 inch clearance between forks and tank. I will probably grind off the correct amount this winter to give me 1/2 inch clearance. I can manage with it the way it is but I can't pull a u-turn on a country road without backing up which can be a hazard in itself. Again--Thanks for the info folks.

Offline Mantree

• Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2021, 09:28:41 am »
I'm going to guess that it might have had a fairing. I bought a bike with a wind jammer once and at full lock the handlebars would hit the fairing.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2021, 09:44:58 am »
  When riding the later frames feel bigger to me, I think it's the offset difference between the neck and fork tubes. That said, I think Mantree is correct, we used to change handlebars or install setback brackets when installing a windjammer it's very possible someone added to the stops.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline powereng1

• Inline 4 Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2021, 03:47:10 pm »
The Windjammer theory makes a whole lot of sense. I am doing a lot of guessing on this bike. Lots of modifications to this beauty. The 48 year old bike has 12000 miles on it, 1975 Super-Sport Comcast Wheels with twin front disk brakes, single rear brake rotor, progressive suspension all around, 836 Big Bore kit, Vance & Hines Super sport 4 into 1 exhaust, not sure on porting of head or if it is original cam. It goes like a wildcat and stops on a dime. Thanks for the comments. It gets my old brain working.

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2021, 04:44:28 pm »
The "F" bikes have different steering geometry (called "trail" or "caster") from the earlier bikes. This led to several steering changes.
Also, the early bikes (pre-F series frames)  came with 3 different widths of gas tanks and seats, so the steering stops were...less than generous. Many were also broken off when someone dropped the bike over on the bars, breaking off the stops (and denting the tanks and fork ears), after which they got "welded back on" (who knows where?). When 'fixing' several cafe' bikes some years ago I had to install setscrews into the stops to reduce the steering even more, in order to prevent Carpy tanks (among others) from being hit by clip-ons.
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2021, 11:28:52 am »
More likely it was hitting a cafe tank
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way