Author Topic: idle time  (Read 498 times)

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
idle time
« on: December 24, 2021, 03:11:54 pm »
 A Christmas riddle, is the hanging idle caused by the timing advancer or, is the advanced timing being caused by the high idle?  Possible hint, it only idles high when it's warmed up.
 It's 4 cable carbs on a CB750 K0 and no, I have not tightened up the advancer springs yet. And yes, I sprayed carb cleaner on the rubbers with little effect.

No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
Re: idle time
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2021, 07:17:57 pm »
Check for leak at top of carb where cable goes in... Missing seal here can cause issues...
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2021, 08:24:54 pm »
Good point. I recently added top gaskets where there weren't any. But which bike was it?  I'll check for leaks up top.
 Thanks.

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2021, 02:18:06 pm »
Also: modern gasoline burns MUCH slower than the 197060s and 1970s stuff did. The 4-cable carbs always ran somewhat rich below 5500 RPM, too. Add those together and you get, using stock timing and jetting, a wet cylinder that tends to hang at high idle. The K0 always has suffered from this, the K1 a little less, since about the 1990s or so.

My solution has been to attack the richness. This can be done directly by augmenting the aeration holes in both the pilot jets and the mainjet emulsifiers: I use 0.039" drills in the mainjet emulsifiers first, in all their big (0.0365") holes. Leave the 2 pair of smaller holes (0.025") as they are, they function above 5500 RPM just fine after this mod. After this, set the idle airscrews inward toward 3/4 turn, too. If it dies immediately after returning to (warm) idle after throttle snap, turn them out toward 7/8 turn. In any case, 1 turn out is too rich for the modern gas, even running Regular grade: if you are running Premium this whole idle situation is much worse. Use Regular unless touring at high speeds: then Midgrade or (above 70 MPH) Premium is OK.

In stubborn cases (usually those carbs from sandcast short-slide carbs or high-mileage K0 bikes with leaky slides where the carb bodies are somewhat worn) you can enlarge the pilot jet's air holes, too. I think the right size is 0.0275", but have to go find my carb refernce notes for that one. In any event, it is the next-size-larger drill than they are when stock. Then set the aircsrews at 7/8 turn for starters, adjust in/out slightly when fully warmed up as needed.

Both of these mods will also reduce the tendency of the K0 to foul sparkplugs. Also, if you have #120 Keihin mainjets, consider using #115 instead with modern fuels, too.
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2021, 07:37:15 am »
 Thanks for the refresher Mark. I'll re-check for the top gaskets first, then work my way down, the advance springs also seem very loose. It had pod filters and I went down to 120's.
 I believe I do have 115's also. I wondered, with the CMSNL supplied 341 reproduction pipes (PMC?) if I should go to 112 or even 110's? I probably will modify the tips, not sure if that will help but they sound awful with the tips in.