Author Topic: Terry's Kawasaki Mach III 500 build. Let the smoke begin.....  (Read 11646 times)

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Terry's Kawasaki Mach III 500 build. Let the smoke begin.....
« on: February 20, 2023, 02:03:35 am »
Okay, so I mentioned that my mate Dion and I have been horse trading bikes and parts for a couple of years now. Recently he contacted me to see if I'd swap a running CB750 for a Kawasaki Mach III? Well I've always been interested in them, rode one back in the 80's and thought it was probably more impressive than a CB450, but the prices of these things have gone into the stratosphere.

CB750's are probably the most common classic Japanese bikes here, but you rarely see nice 2 stroke road bikes, so I thought a Mach III would make a great stable mate for my older bikes. Obviously I wouldn't offer up my K0, and Dion wanted a K, not an F, so I couldn't offer him the F2, so I decided that the K2 Bitsa would have to be the one. Dion liked it, but wanted it with as many OEM parts as possible, regardless of condition. That actually suited me, because I can always use the Henry Abe wheels, Koni shocks, oil cooler, finned sidecovers, oil pressure gauge, Marschall "Cats Eye" headlight, etc, and I needed to remove the K1 gauges and handlebar clamps to put on my K1, so swapped all that stuff out, and whatever K2 parts I had, I swapped in.

Bill asked me to do a "before and after" walkaround, so here's a couple of vids.

It might not look like I'd done that much, but that was 9 hours work in 75 degree weather in my driveway, and I was absolutely shattered. While trying to load it into my little truck I managed to spin the back wheel all the way up the ramp, overbalancing the bike onto it's left side, but somehow I got it onto the truck with no damage. I found 3 OEM exhaust pipes, and loaded all of the extras into the truck before it got dark around 8pm.

Next morning I jumped in the truck to drive the 200 miles to Dion's place.

MACH III Sunday 19 Feb 2023 3 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Dion is currently recovering from a bike crash, a Kangaroo plowed into him when he was riding his dirt bike near his property in the bush. He was unconscious when some workers found him laying in the middle of the road, and called an ambulance. He had multiple broken ribs, bleeding on the lungs etc. He didn't look too good when I saw him, but he was really excited about getting his first CB750. He helped me unload the truck as best as he could only a month after the crash, and helped load the Mach III roller, the spare frame, engines (in pieces) exhausts (2 sets) and pretty much enough parts to build 2 complete bikes.

I said goodbye, jumped back into the truck, and headed for home. The little truck went flawelessly, and I drove the wheels off it, only stopping for fuel halfway home. I had to stop for a break and a walk around, it was really hot (86 deg F) in the truck with no aircon, so I drank a pint of one of those sports drinks in 5 minutes flat.

MACH III Sunday 19 Feb 2023 5 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

I got home and was too tired to unload it, so just dragged myself inside and had a shower before falling asleep in my chair. All up it was a very busy weekend, but I do love a new project, so I've already ordered some parts. Tomorrow I'll unload it all (was my 41st wedding anniversary today so just got home after a day out with the wife) and work out which engine goes with which frame, and that'll help me decide which bike to restore, and which one to sell to finance the build. Should be fun. ;D

MACH III Sunday 19 Feb 2023 6 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
Re: Terry's Kawasaki Mach III 500 build. Let the smoke begin.....
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2023, 03:00:16 am »
Might be a bit of fun in rebuilding a pair. Glad your trip went well. Ya really need to drink more when it’s hot out restore the fluids lost…
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bike almost back to the 70's 2015
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2023, 04:52:20 am »
Another saving old bike project. This is a historical cultural thing our governments should support.

I look forward to see and hear first one running! ;)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 06:20:57 am by PeWe »
CB750 K6-76  970cc (Earlier 1005cc JMR Billet block on the shelf waiting for a comeback)
CB750 K2-75 Parts assembled to a stock K2

Updates of the CB750 K6 -1976
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180468.msg2092136.html#msg2092136
The billet block build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,49438.msg1863571.html#msg1863571
CB750 K2 -1975  build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,168243.msg1948381.html#msg1948381
K2 engine build thread. For a complete CB750 -75
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180088.msg2088008.html#msg2088008
Carb jetting, a long story Mikuni TMR32
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,179479.msg2104967.html#msg2104967

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2023, 04:56:52 am »
Another fun project Terry.  Just be careful on that 1st ride, they didn't call them 'flexi fliers', & the Widow Maker' for nothing.  My brother had a 500, blinding fast in a straight line, a wobble master in the corners.   He left his in the side of a car when it pulled a U turn in front of him.  Luckily he went across the hood, & did a 'break fall' on the other side, walked back to speak to the driver.  She wouldn't get out of the car, seems she had pissed herself. ;D
1977 CB550/4 Cafe - Speed Warrior / BOTM 03/11
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
1976 CB400 SS - stock / BOTM 04/11 (SOLD)
1973 CB750 K - basket case (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2023, 05:22:08 am »
Congrats on your 41st anniversary Terry. Glad she put up with you so long !  ;D  Will be fun watching this one come together.

Offline MauiK3

• A K3 is saved
  • Old Timer
  • Old guy
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2023, 07:02:45 am »
You undoubtedly have a very devoted wife! I am lucky in that way too, we are coming up on our 44th anniversary soon.
I am really looking forward to this journey. I once rode a race prepped 750 Kawasaki. It was a brutally fast machine, nothing happened
much until the tach wound up and then HANG ON.
Lots of photos.
1973 CB 750 K3
10/72 build Z1 Kawasaki

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2023, 08:11:29 am »
I'd say you made a good trade there Terry, welcome to the Triple World!   

Here is the good forum for all the info you will need, but there is not much activity these days...

http://kawi2strokes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=5 

Having been through 2 Triple rebuilds [H1 & H2], the hardest thing is finding good, reasonably priced parts.
My H1 came to me complete but the H2 was literally a basket case. I've bought many parts from "Triplestuff" [Danny] in California, very good parts at reasonably high prices and never willing to negotiate!

http://www.triplestuff.net/index.html

https://www.ebay.com/str/triplestuff

I think the best thing I ever did was have the entire motor [case, cylinders & heads] vapor blasted on the H2, still looks fantastic 3+ years later. [you could paint but they came "naked" from the factory] And a must is to rebuild the crank, those seals wear out and cause a lean condition which can lead to a hole in the piston, don't bother asking how I know!

And for a little inspiration, here is my H1E ['74] What year is yours?

'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2023, 08:31:41 am »
This is way better than Netflix! Thanks for keeping us entertained.

Whenever I need some inspiration and a kick start to put my “ars’in’gear”, I just read Terry’s Project Posts!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 08:33:13 am by BenelliSEI »

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2023, 10:53:51 am »
G'Day Terry  :), You've been very busy lately !
I can see all the work you put into swapping parts from off your K2 'bitsa' onto your other bikes,then finding the parts after running around looking through your garage for all the pieces you're willing to sacrifice for the trade.. I can relate to that.
I'm glad Dion wasn't picky about having everything a perfect match to the original bike.

I like how you made full use of the 'tub' on the back of your truck on the way out and especially the way Back  8) to your place. Did you and Dion both look at all his H1 parts when you arrived:to see which parts were a good choice and what you preferred while sitting there over a couple beers? or did he have them all sitting there,being placed-aside for you when you arrived ?
I hope he turns his 'new to him' Honda CB750K2 into a beautiful masterpiece,when he feels better;I hope he fully recovers soon.

Looks like you have two bare modern sportbike frames in the back there Terry.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 01:27:41 pm by grcamna2 »
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2023, 12:26:29 pm »
Thanks guys, I’m getting excited about this build, 2 strokes are such antisocial things and I hardly ever see them on the road, so I’m looking forward to turning the scenery blue. Thanks for that pic for inspiration Steve, your bike is magnificent. I have a 10/73 and a 3/74 build, so I guess they’re both ‘74 models? I was looking at the fork tubes yesterday and see that the disc brake models went from 34mm tubes to 36 (same OD as our Z1’s) so I wonder if Kawasaki made an attempt to improve the handling of the later models?

Anyway I’ll unload it today and snap a few more pics, it all looks a bit rough now, but there is some real jewellery hidden away under blankets in the cab that will make the restoration a lot easier for me. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline MauiK3

• A K3 is saved
  • Old Timer
  • Old guy
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2023, 01:37:24 pm »
I imagine doing the crank means having a very good press.
Looking forward to this new season “Terry and his bike project”
1973 CB 750 K3
10/72 build Z1 Kawasaki

Offline spotty

• Master
  • cb750....for when a Vmax is just too much bike
    • spottys world of vmaxes and great danes
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2023, 03:13:03 pm »
excellent, looking forward to following the build and then getting a ride on it when its finished

bring on the stinkwheels
i blame Terry

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2023, 04:27:33 pm »
Thanks guys, yep I’ll take the crank over to a shop to get new bearings (which Dion provided) and seals fitted, I was lucky that both Suzuki’s didn’t need them, but as Steve said I’m better off doing them now, rather than have to pull the engine once it’s all back together. I’ll take the engine cases to my vapor blaster and get them done while the crank is being done too. I better sell something soon so I can afford to do it justice. ;D

Offline Trevor from Warragul

• Expert
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2023, 05:54:14 pm »
The biggest problem with the triples is when the barrels are "welded" to the cases. They are an absolute bugger to get free, and the process can bring a grown man to tears!
1971 Kawasaki H1A
1972 Honda CB350F
1976 Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport
1978 Honda CBX
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200
1999 Ducati Monster 750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2023, 06:32:27 pm »
Thanks Trevor, well I hope mine aren’t, I cry very easily. ;D

• Expert
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2023, 07:53:49 pm »
You may want to consider sourcing some "labyrinth" inner seals for your crank. These do not touch the crank and will therefore never wear out (I believe they use "magic" to work).  You have to use the standard outer seals, but at least when these wear out they can be replaced without stripping the motor.

I have these ones, which I will use when the 2nd hand crank I installed 20 years ago fails...

1971 Kawasaki H1A
1972 Honda CB350F
1978 Honda CBX
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200
1999 Ducati Monster 750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2023, 11:20:30 pm »
That’s interesting, are you supposed to insert O rings in those grooves? One of the two cranks looks really good and I am almost tempted to shove it in, but I’ll get a quote on having it rebuilt first. ;D

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2023, 11:55:05 pm »
No o rings they run close to a sleeve on the crank and because everything happens very quickly down there the gas does not have time to get through before it is pushed the other way . It’s proven to work well . All Yamaha rds come from the factory this way .

• Expert
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2023, 12:13:14 am »
That’s interesting, are you supposed to insert O rings in those grooves?

The grooves become partially filled with oil. The "magic" is the crank spinning inside the seal causes turbulence which slows down the mixture, and by the time it is almost through, it gets sucked away through the ports and into the combustion chamber.
1971 Kawasaki H1A
1972 Honda CB350F
1978 Honda CBX
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200
1999 Ducati Monster 750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2023, 12:32:30 am »
Well that's very interesting. OK, so today I unloaded the little truck, and thought I'd post some more pics. This roller is the frame I'll need to restore as it's the closest match to the engine numbers. It's a pity, it'd be easier to just get the other frame that's already been stripped, but no biggie, I have my little rattle gun, so it won't take long. I quite like the "patina paint" on the tank and ducktail, and what I find interesting is that the tank came from the US but the ducktail has been here in Oz since new, and yet the "fade" is identical.

Mach III wheels 2 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

I don't want to build another patina bike though, especially since this lot of tins (yes, even the sidecovers are metal, there's very little plastic on these old beasts) came with the deal.

Mach III wheels 4 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Mach III wheels 5 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Mach III wheels 3 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Mach III wheels 6 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

I thought that Dion must have painted them, but no, he told me that they came with one of the bikes he bought, but he decided to paint another set green. I quite like the blue. He also laced up a pair of nice Borrani alloy rims with stainless spokes, so while they might not be original, they look too nice not to use.

Mach III wheels by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr 

Mach III wheels 1 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

I've loosely put together one set of engine cases with barrels (all the bores look perfect!) and heads, so I'll contact the guy who did my T500 engine cases a year or two ago, and book them in. No rush, I really need to sell a bike or two to raise some money for this build. ;D

Offline BenelliSEI

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1969 cb750
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2023, 05:59:05 am »
Definitely use those wheels, they look perfect!

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2023, 07:49:26 am »
I was looking at the fork tubes yesterday and see that the disc brake models went from 34mm tubes to 36 (same OD as our Z1’s) so I wonder if Kawasaki made an attempt to improve the handling of the later models?

Hey Terry...yes, they made some changes in order to make the bike more "civilized". I believe the swingarm is longer on the later models too.

The blue tins look magnificent, I would use them too. I'm sure you know it is not correct for that year, but who cares?! [Candy Blue was a '71 color]

Check your serial numbers and determine what you have here...

http://kawatriple.com/serialno.html

'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2023, 08:00:05 am »
 Paint fade is always an interesting thing with certain colors. My 400 was green originally and still is under where the seat kept the light off from it. Its nicknamed now the "Grey Ghost". I've ridden it in the past and it was actually pretty darn spunky.

Offline PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bike almost back to the 70's 2015
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2023, 08:07:21 am »
That blue look fantastic, wheels too!
Your build will be good, that's for sure. ;)
CB750 K6-76  970cc (Earlier 1005cc JMR Billet block on the shelf waiting for a comeback)
CB750 K2-75 Parts assembled to a stock K2

Updates of the CB750 K6 -1976
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180468.msg2092136.html#msg2092136
The billet block build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,49438.msg1863571.html#msg1863571
CB750 K2 -1975  build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,168243.msg1948381.html#msg1948381
K2 engine build thread. For a complete CB750 -75
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180088.msg2088008.html#msg2088008
Carb jetting, a long story Mikuni TMR32
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,179479.msg2104967.html#msg2104967

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2023, 08:12:31 am »
  Its nicknamed now the "Grey Ghost". I've ridden it in the past and it was actually pretty darn spunky.

Hey Eric...when running right, I bet that 400 was more than just "spunky"! 
BTW - that bike as is may be more valuable than you think.

Here's a pic of my H1 from a couple years back after a couple month lay up...Let the smoke begin!