Author Topic: CB500 Restore to standard Q. Yoshi or Kibblewhite  (Read 640 times)

Offline pangloss

• Enthusiast
  • CB500 K2 1975 NZ model
CB500 Restore to standard Q. Yoshi or Kibblewhite
« on: February 20, 2023, 03:11:56 pm »
I'm finally getting around to putting my mid 70s  CB500  K2  back to standard original. ( as purchased in 1975)   Back then I foolishly spent a fortune on it trying to make it go faster than a RD400.!!
Yoshimura  Camshaft, Rods and 605 Big Bore kit  AND  fancy valve springs but I can NOT remember if the springs and keepers(top and bottom type) are Yoshimura or Kibblewhite or something else.?  (The bottom keeper sits on the guide. )   Any Ideas?   One of them broke so inlet 3 spring is standard.....
One of the 605 liners is cracked I have just found, so I'll be putting original 498cc liners back in with a new set of .5 over pistons. ( The Yoshi Liners are only 1mm thick at the  neck so not too surprised at the crack)
 I still have the original Liners, Rods and Camshaft/springs etc so they will all go back in too.
The bike did about 3 hours of track before being put in the garage under a sack somewhere in 1981.....Sat there until 2007.   I put the standard cam and carbs back on then and rode it as regular rider for 10,000 km until the oil consumption became a problem  .So swapped in a new 650 crate engine around 2010 .Still riding that setup on weekends to this day.
The idea is to return the complete bike to stock.  Maybe sell the Rods and Cam to help finance the restore..... There are only SEVEN sets of fancy springs  unfortunately but someone may need em.....
CB500 bikes here were "General Export"  models I believe, another name for Parts bin specials I think, with variations around bars, switches, indicators etc etc...   It still has the steel Konis fitted the week after I got the bike and the originals are lost. Apart from that the seat is going to need attention and there's a bit of re chroming I hope to get done on original DID rims and mudguards.......   TBC

Offline gschuld

• Master
Re: CB500 Restore to standard Q. Yoshi or Kibblewhite
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2023, 04:09:17 pm »
Yoshimura used the billet aluminum bases shown on the left.

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2023, 04:14:54 pm »
Yoshi springs

Offline Dresda500

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2023, 03:00:50 pm »
Which cam is it? I’d be very interested in it if you sell.

Offline pangloss

• Enthusiast
  • CB500 K2 1975 NZ model
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2023, 09:39:08 pm »
I think its a Street cam     ..pic of jotting in my very tatty workshop manual

Offline johno

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2023, 03:05:31 pm »
I'm not sure but they look like Yoshy to me, also there wasn't much else around for the 500's back in the day. I fitted a few of them and it always peed me off as the spring pressures were extreme and really contributed to the top of valve stem pitting very quickly etc and it was a pain setting up the heads to machine the space for the large spring base and get some room to shim for desired seat pressure.
ciao johno
GRASSHOPPER SOHC HONDAS ARE THE MEANING OF LIFE.