Author Topic: Why was the K7 so tall?  (Read 1036 times)

Offline Kaze

• Hot Shot
Re: Why was the K7 so tall?
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2023, 11:56:26 am »
Duuuude... did I ever tell you about the Japanese driver's test? I'd better make a new thread...

Here: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,193637.0.html
« Last Edit: October 02, 2023, 01:02:18 pm by Kaze »

Offline drodg33

• Enthusiast
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2023, 07:55:06 am »
Have you tried a K0?
That will make you feel REAL short...those crazy side covers...the sandcast was slightly lower than the K0, though, as the original shocks were shorter by about 1/8". The 3/70-ish K1 got taller with the later. longer shocks.

Today, the metric tires are all taller than the old bias-ply (more oval cross-section) tires, too, by quite a bit! The K7's 17 inch rear makes that even more so.

In 1969-1970 Honda made us (shops) measure the customer's inseam and it had to be not less than 29" to sell them a 750. Honest! Talk about trying to do THAT with your average 60's rider...this responsibility was put onto the shop owners by Honda. We also had a "check list" that included making sure the buyer was not a brand-new rider (some were anyway), had at least 29" inseam, and was familiar with the traffic laws (don't know that we EVER asked that one, though).

My favorite instance: the banker who handled Spring Honda's bank accounts was 5'8" tall, probably had about 27" (if that) inseam, and weighed close to 200 lbs. He'd never owned, nor ridden, a motorcycle, but he HAD to have the 750 when he saw it. The first one in sold was to him. He couldn't ride it home: we trucked it to his house and garaged it. Every 2 weeks or so it would come in, parked in 2nd gear, needing new sparkplugs (they were fouled). It took the entire time from 10/69 until 8/70 when I left there for it to reach 300 miles (and I lost track of the sparkplugs) for the initial tuneup. The manager told me the guy was starting it with the clutch pulled in, riding it to work (3/4 mile from his house) and home again in 2nd gear, never over 30 MPH. The bike had been dropped on both sides when I last saw it!

Great story.  I cannot imagine today a bike shop doing that with making sure a person is the correct height etc. 

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2023, 12:29:19 pm »
Have you tried a K0?
That will make you feel REAL short...those crazy side covers...the sandcast was slightly lower than the K0, though, as the original shocks were shorter by about 1/8". The 3/70-ish K1 got taller with the later. longer shocks.

Today, the metric tires are all taller than the old bias-ply (more oval cross-section) tires, too, by quite a bit! The K7's 17 inch rear makes that even more so.

In 1969-1970 Honda made us (shops) measure the customer's inseam and it had to be not less than 29" to sell them a 750. Honest! Talk about trying to do THAT with your average 60's rider...this responsibility was put onto the shop owners by Honda. We also had a "check list" that included making sure the buyer was not a brand-new rider (some were anyway), had at least 29" inseam, and was familiar with the traffic laws (don't know that we EVER asked that one, though).

My favorite instance: the banker who handled Spring Honda's bank accounts was 5'8" tall, probably had about 27" (if that) inseam, and weighed close to 200 lbs. He'd never owned, nor ridden, a motorcycle, but he HAD to have the 750 when he saw it. The first one in sold was to him. He couldn't ride it home: we trucked it to his house and garaged it. Every 2 weeks or so it would come in, parked in 2nd gear, needing new sparkplugs (they were fouled). It took the entire time from 10/69 until 8/70 when I left there for it to reach 300 miles (and I lost track of the sparkplugs) for the initial tuneup. The manager told me the guy was starting it with the clutch pulled in, riding it to work (3/4 mile from his house) and home again in 2nd gear, never over 30 MPH. The bike had been dropped on both sides when I last saw it!

I cannot imagine today a bike shop doing that with making sure a person is the correct height etc. 

It's very typical for high-end bicycles as they offer different frame sizes but not so with motorcycles.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........