Author Topic: 24 Rides in 2024, Frank's New Years resolution that we can all enjoy.  (Read 45960 times)

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Happy New Year! Folks, as discussed in the 2021, 2022 and 2023 threads, this thread is not just to remember Frank, but also to share his New Years Resolution to get off our butts and ride more. A lot of us are getting older and we're carrying a few aches and pains, and sometimes it's easier to talk about riding than actually doing it, so it's important to get out there and get some miles under our tyres.

It's good for our bikes too, bikes that aren't ridden often tend to slowly self destruct, I'm currently in the process of revitalising several of my bikes that I've ignored for too long, so riding your bike, as opposed to parking it under a dust sheet and just bullsh1tting everyone about it, is actually good for your bikes too.

The rules were changed in 2022 to be a bit more inclusive. 1. To post in this thread, the ride you're posting must be a minimum of 50 miles. 50 miles isn't hard, we can all get out and do that, and it'll give our oil a chance to get warm, recharge our batteries (both the bikes, and ours) and burn off any condensation inside our engines and pipes. 2. This thread is no longer restricted to just SOHC4's. A lot of us have bikes other than SOHC4's that we like to ride, and take pics of, so it'll be good to be able to post here, and I for one will enjoy looking at pics of other bikes that you own, out on the road. 3. You can only claim one ride in one day, regardless of how many miles you do. (the more the better)

A new rule for 2024 is that you must post your rides within one week of the ride, no diary entries from 6 months ago will be accepted. Sometimes we can't post our rides on the same day, but a week should be long enough for everyone. Like last year though, if you've posted your rides for 2024 in other threads, you're welcome to cut and paste them into this one. Also, keep a tally of how many rides you've done, it's not our job to keep a score for each participant. Kevin went above and beyond and did, but he shouldn't have to.

Apart from the above, this thread is all about getting off our comfy chairs and back onto our bikes, and enjoying some two wheeled exploring. We have a "clique" of riders here who really try hard to do their rides every year, and I hope that even more members here, from as many places around the globe, will participate and post pics of your bikes, your scenery, your riding buddies, what you're eating and drinking (in moderation, of course) and how you're enjoying your favourite hobby. Remember, 50 miles is the minimum, no speedo readings are necessary, we're all adults, and of course if you want to ride more than 50, well that's even better.

There will be an award (TBA) for the first rider to do 24 rides, and possibly some small trinket for each participant that completes their 24 rides, also TBA. Last year Bud made some fantastic keyrings to commemorate Frank's legacy and reward folks for making the effort, and Kevin mailed them all over the world, so hopefully we'll come up with something again this year.

I stole this pic from Frank's memorial thread from the last couple of years, it shows Frank doing what he was promising himself that he'd try do more of when he started this thread in 2020, getting out as often as he could and enjoying riding his bikes. Let's all continue to get out there as often as we can in 2024, and just enjoy the ride!

[/quote]
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: 24 Rides in 2024, Frank's New Years resolution that we can all enjoy.
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2024, 12:57:25 am »
And being that it's summer here in Oz, today was my first ride for 2024. 116 miles of my favourite backroads. Being New Years Day, the backroads were especially quiet, which was great for me, and I rode my big black Rocket like I stole it. I was overtaking a 4WD towing a horse float, and had my visor up, when some huge bug hit me right on the tip of the nose, and exploded. Yuck! I pulled into a little dirt road to wipe the gunge off my face, and took the opportunity to take a couple of pics.

ROCKET III Monday 1 Jan 2024 1 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

ROCKET III Monday 1 Jan 2024 4 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

I rode back through Kilmore, intending to stop for lunch at my favourite shop, but it was closed, being a public holiday. No biggie, I rode on, and really enjoyed the ride back home. The last 10 miles were on the freeway, and I'd just exited the freeway onto the road where my self storage unit is located, when I went to change gears, and......... couldn't find the gear lever? WTF? I looked down and saw that the gear pedal was dangling by the linkage. Fcuk.

ROCKET III Monday 1 Jan 2024 5 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Well the bike was still mobile, and I had a couple of miles to ride, and three sets of traffic lights to get thru. Luckily I had 3 greens, so made it back to the storage place. As it turned out, all that happened is that the nut connecting the heim joint to the gear lever had fallen off. I put another nut on it, but the threaded portion is too short in my opinion, so I've ordered another (female) heim joint that I can install a 6mm bolt with a longer thread thu, then use a nylock nut, and shouldn't have any further issues. Apart from that, the bike went great, and I thoroughly enjoyed ride #1 for 2024. ;D   
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline BallAquatics

• Hot Shot
    • https://vintage.dennisball.us
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2024, 01:59:11 am »
Big thanks for getting us started off in 2024 Terry, both with this thread and the first ride.  Looks like a beautiful day out on a fantastic looking bike!

No rides here today.....   :(

« Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 02:40:42 am by BallAquatics »
Dennis...  74 CB550  79 CBX  82 Seca Turbo  2011 CBR  2012 NC700X

You will regret the bikes you DIDN'T buy much more than the ones you DID!!!  It's never too late to start a new adventure!

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2024, 04:02:49 am »
Thanks Dennis, it was a great ride today apart from the gear shifter issue, I had a horrible vision of having to push it uphill for a couple of miles but luckily I got it home without raising a sweat, something that you’re probably not going to have to worry about with your weather at the moment.

Hopefully I’ll get a few more rides in before going back to work in a couple of weeks, and get some more bike work done in between rides. All the best for 2024 mate, and I’ll look forward to seeing your rides when your weather improves. ;D

Offline PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bike almost back to the 70's 2015
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2024, 04:29:37 am »
This is a good start of 2024. ;D
I'm eager to post my rides here.

Hopefully during the rides when eating something at a stop somewhere thanks to todays smartphones with good camera.

Terry the first rider to document his ride under a fantastic blue sky.
That black Triumph Rocket 3 is easy to like  ;D ;D

Loctite 222 (purple color) is good for bolts and nuts that want to vibrate off. Not hard.
I have that on my CB750 front wheel clamp nuts, front brake disc nuts, front sprocket bolts, nuts/bolts for rear fastening of 4-4, exhaust. Etc etc.

Clean with acetone before.
This have to go away....  Yesterday, not better today and it will become worse....

Global warming is very welcome here! ;D
« Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 04:32:59 am by PeWe »
CB750 K6-76  970cc (Earlier 1005cc JMR Billet block on the shelf waiting for a comeback)
CB750 K2-75 Parts assembled to a stock K2

Updates of the CB750 K6 -1976
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180468.msg2092136.html#msg2092136
The billet block build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,49438.msg1863571.html#msg1863571
CB750 K2 -1975  build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,168243.msg1948381.html#msg1948381
K2 engine build thread. For a complete CB750 -75
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180088.msg2088008.html#msg2088008
Carb jetting, a long story Mikuni TMR32
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,179479.msg2104967.html#msg2104967

Offline budman

• 1914X
  • Expert
    • LeCompte Electric Bass
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2024, 09:23:09 am »
Thanks for getting the ball rolling, Terry.  First out of the chute, but no fair, you live in the future.

Looking forward to this year’s rides and everyone’s tales from the road.
Bud

1973 CB750K3 Chopper
2021 Indian Scout

Offline Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2024, 09:52:15 am »
That black Rocket is a beautiful bike and what a beautiful day to take it out for some exercise.
I'm looking forward to this year's rides myself, time to take back control of my free time.

Offline PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2024, 11:10:43 am »
Like us!
CB750 K6-76  970cc (Earlier 1005cc JMR Billet block on the shelf waiting for a comeback)

Offline Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2024, 11:22:57 am »

Offline Kevin D

• Old Timer
  • SE Michigan
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2024, 12:27:35 pm »
Happy New Year to all my Buddies, Pals, Mates, and Associates.
With your help, I had a pretty good year in 2023 riding my CB.
Hoping for for more and better in 2024, starting about April 15.
My CB takes me to so many places that I wouldn’t otherwise go.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2024, 07:02:18 am by Kevin D »
71 CB750 K1
104,000 miles
Original Owner
———past———
70 SL100/125/150
70 Candy BlueGreen CB 750 K0
————————————————-
Former Honda parts kid/counter kid/do all
—————————————————————-
Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right
Genius is 99% perspiration, 1% inspiration

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2024, 01:39:01 pm »
Thanks guys, the “New” (to me) Rocket is great fun to ride, you’d think that it’d be the same as my “Classic” with the different seat, bags, fairing etc, but without all that stuff it feels much nimbler, and is my current favourite. I really only bought it to flip as I really do need to sell a lot of bikes between now and the end of next year when I retire, but it gets harder every time I ride it.

The heim joint thing is a real head scratcher, logically it should have enough thread to go through the shift lever and have plenty left over for a nyloc nut on the end, but it doesn’t. I’m wondering if the last few mm’s have actually sheared off, but if so, it’s the cleanest break I’ve ever seen. I’ve ordered a “female” heim joint so I can remove that one and use a longer 6mm bolt that’ll give me plenty of room for a washer either side of the shifter pedal and a nyloc nut.

I should probably take the other R3 out for a ride this week to give the battery a charge, it’s been sitting gathering dust since I bought the black one in October, and R3’s don’t like to sit for long periods of time without charging. Then I need to sort a couple of issues on the T500, install a cheap GPS speedo on the Sportster (the only thing that’s gone wrong with it in 27 years is the Japanese speedo, ironically) sort the ignition on the K0, fix the valve clearance issue on the Z1-B, finish the electrics on the T350, replace the fuel pump and battery on my BMW K100RS, etc etc…. 2024 is going to be a busy year…… ;D

Offline BallAquatics

• Hot Shot
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2024, 03:48:51 pm »
Terry, it's good to have something to do on those days when it too bad out to ride.   :D

You will regret the bikes you DIDN'T buy much more than the ones you DID!!!  It's never too late to start a new adventure!

Offline jgger

• Master
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2024, 05:04:21 pm »
So here it is Jan.1, 2024. I got up at 5:30 am pacific standard time with the idea of being the 1st to post a ride for this year. Being the last one to graduate last year I wanted to redeem myself and be 1st this year. Then after all my potting and planning............TERRY STOLE MY THUNDER!  Good on you Terry for both carrying on Frank's Challenge and logging the first ride. I know this isn't a competition, if it was budman would probably have about 10 rides by now 😁.

Anyhoo, ride 1 is in the books, stats:
76 miles/ 122 kms
Start temp 42°f/ 5°c
Mid trip 46°f/ 7-8°c
Ending 54°f/ 12°c
Nice 3 hours on the road

I had been checking the weather for about 4 or 5 days and it was looking like maybe some rain was in the forecast, lucky for me it rained out a day and a half beforehand.  That meant it was just cold I had to deal with, and yes I know for some of you guys 42° sounds like a scorcher. I pulled a bunch of layers out and dressed like Ralphy's little brother made some coffee and hit the road. You know how when you are running a bit late, obstacles seem to pop out of nowhere? When I was trying to leave I discovered my wife's car was blocking my escape! It must have looked pretty funny seeing a 6ft tall guy geared up for a ride climb into a Ford Edge with the seats set for a 5ft 4in woman..........I squeezed in and moved the freaking car then I was off, but wait I need gas, DANG! Hit the local gas station and finally I was off and running. To get to the Lookout it's about 21 miles and the last 6 or so miles are mountian road. So I hit the freeway and unleashed Eeyore the Magnificent and he might have hit the ton a few times, he did that not me! So 21 miles to go with the last 6 being curvy and a little wet and I  had 25 minutes to sunrise! But I made it!  Poured myself a nice hot cup of coffee and watched the 1st new day dawn on the new year, what could be better? 

After the sunrise and coffee I continued on to the other side of the mountian. The road was a bit wet in a few places but not slick at all. Traffic was very light and I even saw a mid-life crisis car club out for an early morning drive. As I was heading home I got a wild hair to explore the downtown area of Lake Elsinore and came up to a detour because of an earlier accident. The first thing I saw was a power pole leaning about 10° out of plumb with a crane holding it up. I looked a bit closer and there was a u- shaped car being yanked onto
 a flatbed. Pretty sure the driver was killed, if not they are a vert fortunate person who got a second chance.

I really wanted to keep going but there will be more days for more rides and this was a nice starter for 2024.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 07:39:01 pm by jgger »
"The SOHC4 uses a computer located about 2-3 ft above the seat.  Those sometimes need additional programming." -stolen from  Two Tired

The difference between an ass kisser and brown noser is merely depth perception.  Stolen from RAFster122s

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2024, 07:10:50 pm »

After we moved from Alaska to Idaho in the early 90's I'd do a New Years's Day ride if the weather cooperated and the roads were dry.  Kind of a novelty to me since I couldn't do it in AK.  There are some diehards there that go out on studded up dirt bikes, but I didn't have one of those.  Then a few years ago Idaho started to use salt and mag chloride on the roads in the winter.  I won't ride the bikes in that, so the New Year's rides came to an end.  Until this year.  We've only had a couple of snows here in the valley and today the roads are clean.  Temperature was up to a blazing 38 degrees.  Since the 750 was closest to the door in the shop (it always is) I started it up and off we went.  It was 32 when I got back to the house after 65 miles and I have to say I missed the old windjammer.

Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline jgger

• Master
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2024, 07:22:58 pm »
Nice Greg, your temps make mine sound like a heat wave! Glad you could make it out.
"The SOHC4 uses a computer located about 2-3 ft above the seat.  Those sometimes need additional programming." -stolen from  Two Tired

The difference between an ass kisser and brown noser is merely depth perception.  Stolen from RAFster122s

Offline PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2024, 11:00:20 pm »
Nice rides to enjoy guys!
I think some of you might get your 24 rides done before I can do my first.
EDIT:
This is the closest to a Californian ride I can do. mmmmm
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 08:20:14 am by PeWe »

Offline BallAquatics

• Hot Shot
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2024, 12:36:15 am »
Way to go Jim & Greg!!!  I think it always feels colder when riding in the dark, and 38 with NO wind protection, that can be brutal.

My hat is off to the three of you.  Way to get us started off with a bang!   8)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2024, 03:19:43 am »
Well done guys, great to see guys already riding so early in the year with such cold temps over on your side of the pond. My day started off sh1tfully. My 91 year old Mother in law rang my wife at 7.30 to talk to me, was very upset but wouldn't tell the wife what it was about. She'd just seen on the news that there had been an earthquake in Japan. My youngest boy and his GF are in Japan at the moment, so she was worried about him. I assured her that he'd be fine, but of course didn't know. The wife rang Tim and woke him up, he was fine and the wife had woken him up, but he'd seen some of the earthquake and being a professional cameraman, had taken some footage from where he was in Nagano.

I'd only just gotten over that, when I saw Leo, my cat, carrying something into the house. Turns out it was quite a large rat, and it was still alive. Great. I had to catch leo, who wasn't keen on giving up his rat, then carry them both outside. Leo dropped the rat so I locked him inside, then went to check on the health of the rat. The poor thing was still alive, but in a bad way. I went inside and grabbed my BSA .22 air rifle and a couple of slugs, and put the poor thing out of it's misery. It appeared to be very clean and well fed, so I hope it wasn't one of the neighbours pets.

Anyhoo, I drove over to the local bearing shop and bought a new Heim joint for the black Triumph's gear selector pedal, then over to Spotty's place to give him a hand with his CB750, then over to the storage place to install the new heim joint, which I was happy to see had a tad more thread than the old one.

Rocket III Tuesday 2 January 2024 1 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Rocket III Tuesday 2 January 2024 3 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

It was another beautiful day so I thought I better take the opportunity to get another ride in. I had told the wife that I'd be home in a couple of hours, so I did a quick 100 miler. I stopped, of course, for a whiz, and a couple of pics.

Rocket III Tuesday 2 January 2024 4 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Rocket III Tuesday 2 January 2024 6 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

The black Rocket is very loud. The Jardine pipes on it have the "competition" baffles in them, as opposed to the quieter ones in the Jardines on my "Classic". I really like the loud pipes, but as I was riding into Kilmore today a car coming the other way flashed it's lights to let us know that there were cops ahead. The sh1tty old car in front of me took a right turn to avoid them, but I kept going straight. Looked like they were setting up a roadblock, probably to check roadworthiness. Both cops looked up and me, and I'm sure one waved at me, so I waved back, and kept going.  Anyway, got home around 2pm.

Spotty had given me a big bottle of ginger beer so I put it in my freezer, and after a delightful snooze for a couple of hours, I made a light repast of rice crackers and cheese, washed down with ginger beer.

Rocket III Tuesday 2 January 2024 7 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Interestingly, by the time I'd woken up the weather had turned to mud (literally) and it was absolutely bucketing down rain. Looks like it might be wet for the next couple of days, but that's OK, there's always something to do. ;D

Offline budman

• 1914X
  • Expert
    • LeCompte Electric Bass
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2024, 02:00:23 pm »
It's awesome to see y'all hitting it early.  It's going to be a couple of weeks before I can get my first 2024 ride in, if the weather cooperates.  It's cold, nasty and raining here today.  It actually looks like it might be decent this weekend, but my son is coming in for a visit, so I'll be confined to four wheels.  Plus, I have a lot of work to do...which is a good thing.

Terry, I had one of those ball and socket joints fail on my bobber's shift linkage several years back.  It was on the transmission end of the linkage, though.  The nylon liner inside the socket part wore out and the ball wouldn't stay inside.  It was a good thing I had a bunch of zip-ties in my saddle bag.  I made it stay connected and I got home.
Bud

1973 CB750K3 Chopper
2021 Indian Scout

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2024, 02:20:28 pm »
Thanks Bud, wet and humid here today so no bike riding, but yesterday was good. I still can’t decide whether the nut just came off or if the threaded portion sheared off, but it was a cheap, easy fix at least. I’ve no doubt you’ll soon catch up to me and eclipse my ride tally, but I’m going to try to get as many rides in as I can before going back to work on the 15th. I better take my other Rocket out soon, I was feeling a bit guilty yesterday looking at it gathering dust. I’ll get the Sporty out as soon as I get the connector for the GPS speedo, and I really need to fix the ignition issue on the K0, and install the new Yamiya pipes. ;D

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2024, 04:25:23 pm »
Nice Greg, your temps make mine sound like a heat wave!

It was was slightly warmer for your ride, but not exactly what I would call balmy.  Well done.

Way to go Jim & Greg!!!  I think it always feels colder when riding in the dark, and 38 with NO wind protection, that can be brutal.

Also feels cooler in the fog, some of which I had on the ride.  Dang inversions.  I'd ride for hours in the 30's and even down into the 20's and be none the worse for wear back when the Windjammer was on the bike.  After an hour and a half yesterday the cold was starting to seep in and get to me. Probably turning into a wimp in my old age.
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2024, 04:44:28 pm »
So far every decent riding day I've already committed to doing plumbing projects. I've rebuilt both shower valves and completely rebuilt the frost free hose bib on the back of the house. The idiot that built it didn't have the correct fittings so stuffed the wrong fitting into the back of the hose bib and soldered it. I redid everything including adding a shutoff valve.

Two of the days were 60°F, I have 4 bikes ready for testing but the timing of the weather has not worked out. >:(
I still have to install a back door on the shop. At least the shed roof we built on the back provides the support so we don't have to shore up the wall while we install the header, jack and king studs.   8)
Never Give Up - Never Surrender

The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0                                            1971 MGB/GT
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport                          1972 MGB/GT
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD                                   1985 GMC S15
1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre
1984 Honda VF 1000F Interceptor
1990 Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans
1994 Kawasaki Concours ZG 1000A9
2005 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

Offline jgger

• Master
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2024, 05:51:08 pm »
Kelly, is that ball and chain work or income generating? 

If it's ball and chain then just shout ,"da'ammm,  I need a left handed pressure adapter" , jump on the bike and go to 3 different stores ( wink, wink). Taking the long way of course, that should be worth at least 50 miles.

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • Master
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2024, 09:29:24 pm »

If it's ball and chain then just shout ,"da'ammm,  I need a left handed pressure adapter" , jump on the bike and go to 3 different stores ( wink, wink). Taking the long way of course, that should be worth at least 50 miles.

We played that game yesterday and I was gettin' the serious stinkeye. ;D

The plumbing was "ball and chain" work. The door in the back of the shop is for access to the new shed, and a shorter path to woods. When you gotta go, you gotta go! 8)
Never Give Up - Never Surrender

The Rust Bros. Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB 550 K0                                            1971 MGB/GT
1975 Honda CB 400F Super Sport                          1972 MGB/GT
1977 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD                                   1985 GMC S15
1978 Kawasaki KL 250
1980 Suzuki GS 1100E
1982 Honda CB 900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB 1100F
1984 Honda VF 700S Sabre
1984 Honda VF 1000F Interceptor
1990 Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans
1994 Kawasaki Concours ZG 1000A9
2005 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

Offline grcamna2

• Not a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • I love to restore & travel. Keep'em Going Strong !
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2024, 10:26:37 pm »

We played that game yesterday and I was gettin' the serious stinkeye. ;D

The plumbing was "ball and chain" work. The door in the back of the shop is for access to the new shed, and a shorter path to woods. When you gotta go, you gotta go! 8)

Shop door  8)
75' CB400F/'bunch o' parts' & 81' CB125S modded to a 'CB200S'
  I love the small ones too !
Do your BEST...nobody can take that away from you.