Author Topic: help diagnoising noise from front sprocket area  (Read 1625 times)

Offline doug_id

• Hot Shot
    • My Cafe 550 Project Gallery
help diagnoising noise from front sprocket area
« on: March 26, 2007, 02:26:18 pm »
I have noticed when spinning the rear wheel while lubing the chain or rolling the bike across the garage that every few feet or so I hear a fairly soft thunk/click noise that sounds like it is originating from the front sprocket area.   I cleaned this area out really well when restoring the bike so pretty sure there is nothing back there for the chain or sprocket to be hitting, so I am not sure what to make of this noise.. ???...I have a 530 NON-oring chain and stock sprockets.  The chain is tightened to honda specs.  When riding it I don't detect any abnormal drive train noise.

Anybody else have this?   Is it normal?  Anybody know what it is?

Thx much for any input!  ;D

Doug
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 02:29:20 pm by doug_id »
02 Concours
78 CB550
06 Stella 150 2t Scooter

Dave L

Re: help diagnoising noise from front sprocket area
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 03:00:29 pm »
Hi
The front sprocket is a floating fit on the shaft and is held in place by the plate bolted to it so
it may be that , try markiing the chain with tipex or pait to see if its always in the same spot or
remove the cover and see if you can see the cause.
Also check the alignment of the rear wheel (the markings on the swingarm may not be true)
hope this is of some help.

Dave

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 03:06:50 pm »
Hi
The front sprocket is a floating fit on the shaft and is held in place by the plate bolted to it so
it may be that , try markiing the chain with tipex or pait to see if its always in the same spot or
remove the cover and see if you can see the cause.
Also check the alignment of the rear wheel (the markings on the swingarm may not be true)
hope this is of some help.

Dave

All good points.  I'll just add that if the chain has a tight spot in it, even if it's not bad enought to need replacing, it can cause the front sprocket to shift to one side when it hits that spot when rolling the chain without a load on it. 

Offline doug_id

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 03:34:03 pm »
Thx guys,

I think the floating sprocket is probably the cause and that makes sense with the type of sound I am hearing.......probably has a little play in it and when it reaches a certain point it "falls" down on to the shaft with a little clunking sound.

Appreciate the help  ;D

Doug
02 Concours
78 CB550
06 Stella 150 2t Scooter

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 03:42:20 pm »
Never hurts to take the front sprocket cover off just to check things out, though.  Something as simple to fix as a loose sprocket bolt could cause you untold pain and suffering if not taken care of. 

Offline doug_id

• Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 03:45:25 pm »
Never hurts to take the front sprocket cover off just to check things out, though.  Something as simple to fix as a loose sprocket bolt could cause you untold pain and suffering if not taken care of. 

Hi Gordon,

Agreed for sure. :o :o   I pulled the cover and checked everything prior to posting question......couldn't figure it out.     ::)
02 Concours
78 CB550
06 Stella 150 2t Scooter